Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Singapore {SGP} (no longer Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2002, 3:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Catman:
Unfortunately, for January, 2003, I do NOT think there are Point Stretchers for the Conrad SIN. </font>
I've read somewhere else here that the 2003 dates still aren't in the system, - even though you can select months into June 2003 for a search. Should be populated in a week or two.

In October I had confirmed an Executive Floor room at the Conrad SIN for ~US$160 and as a Gold was upgraded to a Centennial Suite. Very Nice.

PDH
Old Feb 3, 2003, 1:48 pm

Singapore Hilton - Only 2 pax per room?

Booking an award stay for the family at the Singapore Hilton for August and was told the rules only allow 2 persons - actually the Hilton agent quoted 'two heartbeats per room' - God forbid a woman carrying twins should try to book a room. Anyway, I'm having to burn 200,000 points for two GLON awards for this trip.

Does anybody know how hard and fast this rule is for Singapore? Assuming this a Sing government rule as opposed to the hotels policy. Any waivers for small childern, etc ???? The agent on the phone was quite insistent that two rooms be booked for four people. Any help would be appreciated to save 100,000 points.

Old Feb 3, 2003, 2:05 pm

I stayed at the Hilton Singapore last December with my wife and 9 month old son. The website would not allow for more then 2 people in a room. I called Hilton and asked why I can't book online for more then 2 people. Agent told me due to fire marshall restrictions no more then 2 people per room. I went ahead and book the room online for 2 adults.

When we arrived, the front desk did not seem to care, then even offered to setup a crib for our Son free of charge.

We did not pay extra for the crib or for the extra person.

This was an paid stay not an award stay.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 2:28 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, Hilton, Marriott, and Northwest
Actually I called and booked a room for 3 adults at the Sin Conrad and Hilton plus Bangkok hilton last may. The staff kept looking at us strange but we were given rollaways in all 3 cases. So 3 is ok but like parts of Europe I would really doubt that 4 will fly. My suggestion is call direct or email for final answer.

------------------
Robert
Old Feb 3, 2003, 3:38 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Mrs NM and I and our then 8 year old son stayed at Singapore Hilton about 18 months ago. The room was not very large but they did provide us a roll-away bed for the child at no cost. But it only just fit into the room.

First room they gave us has 2 single beds. A quick return to recpetion had that fiex and they moved us into a room with King bed and delivered the roll-away a few minutes later. They were very friendly and helpful and I have no complaints about the service. This was a paid stay.

You might like to consider the Conrad which has very good reviews.
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:03 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
On our first family trip to S'pore in 1994, we had two adults, one 10 year old, and one infant. We booked at the S'pore Hilton ok, but, enroute, while at an intermediate stop, Hilton called and said that there had been a mistake and no way, no how could we have 4 in a room. Big drama.

As it turned out, we showed up after midnight and the night staff took care of us. (I had no status at the time.)

We stayed in a single room with a roll away installed on our arrival. The four of us stayed the next year in a single room, too, as well as staying multiple times in the Marriott a couple of blocks away, which had, on paper, a similiar restriction.

Having said this, I believe S'pore law is fairly strict about 4 in a room and I'm not sure that what was ok with a wink then is allowable now.

The children are older now and we get two rooms, so it isn't an issue for us anymore.

I like the Conrad, but, for a family vacation, the Hilton is probably somewhat better located. Now, if you don't care that much about the luxury, you could stay at the YMCA on the other end of Orchard Road. I thought they had larger rooms, but all that www.asiatravel.com shows is a "family triple" for S$125, including taxes, service, and breakfast (subject to a small temporary membership fee).
Rich
Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:01 pm

Hilton Singapore

I will be doing a MR in Oct. and wondered if any of you have stayed at the Hilton Singapore or would you suggest somewhere else to get the points. I am willing to forego the points for an amazing hotel with in $ reason.This will be my first time in Sinapore. Mature Female traveling alone and arriving around 11:30 p.m. What would be the safest way to get to the hotel?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

------------------
SB
Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
Singapore is very safe - so a taxi should be fine. I am not a big fan of the hilton/conrad. Try the Ritz, Raffles, Four Seasons or even the Shangria-LA. I am also going in Oct for two days (no mileage run - just a crazy business meeting). I think I will stay at the Ritz or Oriental

Have fun
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:13 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I just booked a Harbor View room at the Oriental for only $135 a night. The hotel looks amazing and I know I will love it - they also had transportation available.
http://www.singapore-hotels-online-d...com/iindex.asp
Can you or any one else suggest any good bargin shopping area?

------------------
SB
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no good bargains in Singapore at all. If you want bargains go acreoss the border to Johor Bahru, there is plenty of great shopping there and you will notice that the Singaporeans themselves windowshop at home, and actually buy in Malaysia.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 8:38 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
I would suggest that you save the money on the hotel-arranged transportation and just take a taxi to the hotel.

You only have two choices for transportation during your arrival hours. They are limo or taxi. The taxis in Singapore are cheap, safe, convenient and are available just outside the doors of the arrival hall. It should cost you somewhat less than $S30 for the trip into the city by taxi. This includes the airport pick-up charge and the 1 1/2 x the meter for after midnight and before 6a.m..

I personally really like the Hilton as a HHonors gold. There are numerous threads concerning the hotel in Mileage Run, NW and Hilton forums. I stayed there about 3 weeks ago for S$140++. If you read the posts, you will find lot's of invaluable info about the Hotel and other Singapore facts.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 8:42 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Singapore shopping is not a bargain compared to much of SouthEast Asia. That said, it is a shoppers paradise. There really is no sense in offering you places to shop because once you arrive, you will see the wealth and breadth of shopping opportunities. Orchard Road is considered shopper's heaven for electronics (at the same price as in the U.S.) Suntec, Raffles Place, City Hall Mall, and others are jammed with all sorts of shopping.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Pretty decent review of the 2 Hilton props in SIN:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/008278.html
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:47 pm

Thanks for all the info. I have gone to the recommended threads and read about the hotels. Hfly - can I take a ferry to Johor Bahru and is it a day trip?

------------------
SB
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:14 am

You take the bus to Johor Bahru. I believe that if you search the Mileage Run forum for the Just Back from SIN thread, you will find all the required information about getting to and from JB.

Be sure to not get back on the bus at Malaysian immigration and grab a taxi. The contrast between Singapore and JB is immense. JB is almost third world while SIN is 1st world. Go during the day and it is quite safe if you are an experienced traveler. If you suffer from ditziness, better to stay in SIN. The contrast is similar to San Diego and Tijuana.

Edited to add URL

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/005399.html

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 08-19-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.