Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Texas, USA {US-TX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Texas, USA {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2007, 1:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theblakefish
...I would definitely recommend starting in ELP. It has 3 HH properties, although I would only stay at the HI ....
Any recent reviews of the Hampton Inn ELP?

(Does the hotel have an airport shuttle?)
Old Aug 28, 2007, 7:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jfe
There is the new Hilton Garden Inn opening December 17th

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=ELPGIGI

Stay at the HI, or the Hilton, avoid the ES at all cost
Wow! That's pushed again.... When I stayed in ELP back in July it was slated as September to open.....

I have stayed at the ES 75+ nights in '06 and about 7 in '07. Hotel is nothing special, but the staff is extraordinary. If you stay there ask for one of the renovated rooms.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:50 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
There is an old hotel in downtown ELP called the International Hotel which is being renovated into a DT...not sure about the opening, butthere is a large sign announcing it's arrival....nice to have a signature HH property in ELP now that the crappy Hilton airport is gone...thank goodness!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mdsimants
Wow! That's pushed again.... When I stayed in ELP back in July it was slated as September to open.....

I have stayed at the ES 75+ nights in '06 and about 7 in '07. Hotel is nothing special, but the staff is extraordinary. If you stay there ask for one of the renovated rooms.
No, it's not been pushed back. The HGI in El Paso opened back in the spring, and I stayed there in early May. The post stating it opens in December was posted last October.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, AA EXP, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ssullivan
No, it's not been pushed back. The HGI in El Paso opened back in the spring, and I stayed there in early May. The post stating it opens in December was posted last October.
Oops... my bad...Shouldn't read/post/drink/talk at the same time.
Old May 4, 2008, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Update?

Has Anyone stayed at these three lately?

I am planning to be there on May 18th, currently I booked the room at the East one.. the East was cheaper by $25 and $36 a night over West and Suites and I really only plan to sleep in the room with little baggage.. No Gold or Diamond... yet, after this stay and my stay in Gallup, NM I will have Silver.

Here is where I am planning to stay in Gallup, NM after Amarillo.
http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/h...tyhocn=GUPHHHX

Thoughts?
Currently I am going to be paying $94 for the night including taxes after AAA disc.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Update

The original post had things right for the most part - but it was better - HOWEVER - I was tempted to invoke the 100% Satisfaction refund, still not sure if I will send an email. If it was not for friendly staff, I would have for sure.

Hampton Inn I-40 Amarillo East
THE BAD:

1. No elevator - I had more bags than I planned before, and this was annoying, however, my room was near the stairs, which was good.
2. NO POOL!!! - This was not noted when I was booking, it was over 90 degrees F outside and was told it would not open until MEMORIAL DAY!!
3. Water went out at about 2am - I was working late in the room, could not take a shower or even wash my face - I tried the sink then the shower to make sure it was not something wrong with the sink, when I closed the shower it did not close the valve all the way since it was a tough valve, so when I woke up in the morning I had a nice mess to clean up, but there were a lot of towels provided so this was ok... I guess... I had called down during the night and was told they were working on it... meh.
4.TV Was poor! The connection was bad on it and I could only have it in one position for it to work
5. TV Remote was dead! - Went downstairs and they fixed.
6. Dirty mirror, when I did end up taking the shower, it steamed up and I could see all the streak marks from a quick towel over, ew.
8. Breakfast eggs were nothing to write home about... w.e

7. [Not really] No letter or bottled water or cookies or anything, I know it was just a hampton, but in the one in Chicago I stayed in this was there, provided, and refilled daily, would have been a really nice touch with it 90 degrees outside!

THE GOOD:
Staff, Scott was at the front desk, was friendly and helpful. Fixed the remote and got me checked in quickly. Cookies were tasty, was checked out fast. As I said before, without a friendly staff, I would have claimed a full 100% refund... right now I am not sure.... thoughts?
Old May 21, 2008, 10:24 pm
AMA

Yupper, as discussed/discovered, in Amarillo, all of the decent hotels are on the west side of town, on I-40 West. Soncy, Coulter, Bell streets on the map. (Regional mall & restaurant rows are on/near Soncy). Only exception to this is the 'Ambassador' hotel(the lone 'highrise' hotel), which is located a couple exits east of Bell Street. And, if one likes Olive Garden grub, it's located one exit east of Bell Street at Western & I-40.

Stuff out east is pretty trashy. City developed westward, left the eastern side in the dust.

Unfortunately, the airport, which is convenient and easy to get in/out of, is located way east of town('way east' only means a few miles ), so sometimes people new to town stay in hotels on the east side, thinking that's a better approach considering the airport location. BIG mistake...only takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the airport if one is on the west side where the decent stuff is located.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 10:58 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hampton Inn Amarillo August 26-27

As I was driving through town from west to east, I figured this would be the better location. Plus, I was having dinner at the Big Texan Steak Ranch which was four miles away. Had I read this thread ahead of time, I'd have stayed elsewhere.

Location: As stated above, the hotel is just off Interstate 40 near the airport and the split for US 287. It can be annoying to access this hotel from 40-West as you have to wait for a north/south road to take you to the other side of 40 onto its service road. Its located near a bunch of other middle range properties and some fast food joints.

Hotel: The hotel feels old and is small and cramped. There's no elevator, no business center and the breakfast area is particularly small and tables can be hard to find. Plus the area its in isn't great the parking lot is poorly lit and it can be a long walk from your car to the room.

Check-In: One of my least favorite agents on the year. I gave him my last name and first name and he kept disagreeing with me.
Agent: Rick?
Me: No, Charles
Agent: So you're Rick?
Me: No, I'm Charles
Agent: Oh, ok, you're not Rick.

He was equally unhelpful upon check out. No upgrades here and we were put on the first floor near the small breakfast area.

Room: Like everything else about this hotel, the room was small, particularly the bathroom which was really bad. The TV was old and the work table practically useless. At least the wireless worked as well as the air conditioning.

Other: Breakfast was a standard Hampton Inn affair, and I was happy they had biscuits and gravy. Check-out was annoying as I was staying at three properties in three days I wanted to be manually checked out and have my folio reprinted for me (in the past with back to back stays I've had issues when I wasn't manually checked out in my presence) and the agent complained about this but eventually did it.

The AAA rate was $80 but the next time I drive through Amarillo, I'm staying at the Hampton West or the Garden Inn.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:48 pm
AMA

Yes, Hampton west and Garden Inn are pretty new hotels on the West side of town. Also a restaurant row about one block east of there, too(all off of the Coulter/I-40 exit).

Sorry you missed this thread before your stay. Lots of Hyway/transient biz in AMA cuz of I-40, but with the economy down the drain, the hotels out east are likely not doing well.

And, for others that will read this post, if travelling through AMA, by and large, everything's on the Interstate, so something like the 'The Big Texan' restaurant is really only a few minutes away, even though on the east side towards the airport. Not much traffic to worry about, so no big issues.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: HP/US Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Between Garden Inn, Hampton West, and Homewood Suites, which one is the better choice?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:58 pm
AMA

Originally Posted by LV702
Between Garden Inn, Hampton West, and Homewood Suites, which one is the better choice?
Not sure. Garden Inn and Homewood Suites are both by Soncy Street & I-40 and very new, so you're probably ok w/either. Offhand, I don't recall how old the Hampton West is(fairly new, tho), and I've never been in it or known anyone who stayed there. I'd guess the Hampton West is much better than the Hampton East, described above.

I'm local, so don't stay in the hotels, just know 2nd/xth hand stories. Buddy of mine comes through town occasionally and has stayed at both the Garden Inn and Homewood and thought both were just fine. There's also a Days Inn on the NE corner of Soncy & I-40 that looks very nice(new, too), so check that out, too.

Garden Inn, Homewood and Days Inn are located almost on top of each other, so location doesn't really matter.

And, for Marriott fans, on the north side of I-40, between Coulter and Bell are a Fairfield Inn & Courtyard, located next to each other. These are several years old and I don't have any current info on them. And, of course, no HH points here or at the Days Inn

Last edited by AMA; Nov 24, 2010 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:09 pm

Texas Hilton Recommendations?

Hi all, I'm a newly crowned Diamond member and am looking to take the family to the lone star state for a little getaway from the Midwest winter. Any recommendations on Texas hotels with good Diamond recognition that are good for families?
Thanks all!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Texas gets plenty of winter. After you plan around that suitably, a search on city name will likely yield some property master threads. Watch out for spring break.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:41 am

Houston has very mild winters (if any at all). So you might check that area.
We go there in the winter quite a bit and the in laws usually pick us up at the airport in tank tops and shorts (even over Christmas break).

Cold weather there tends to be in the 50's (and doesn't seem like much of that). Winter has some nice warm enjoyable temperatures as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.