Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Texas, USA {US-TX}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Texas, USA {US-TX}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2006, 11:31 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
There is the new Hilton Garden Inn opening December 17th

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en...tyhocn=ELPGIGI

Stay at the HI, or the Hilton, avoid the ES at all cost
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Yea, I forgot about the new HGI in El Paso, it is opening right across the street from UTEP, and is supposed to be one of the enhanced HGI's. Close to a lot of restaurants and bars too.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: Plat Delta
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Yea, I forgot about the new HGI in El Paso, it is opening right across the street from UTEP, and is supposed to be one of the enhanced HGI's. Close to a lot of restaurants and bars too.
It's not open until December. I'm actually going this Sunday, and staying at the HIs in both Roswell and El Paso. I'll let you know how it went and thanks for the great advice! ^
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by aalbuquerque
Hi KatJ,

I'm from New Mexico and I don't think that there's any properties that I can recommend for you down there... New Mexico isn't the best place for Hilton (except for the new Embassy Suites in ABQ) and I've never stayed at the HI in Roswell.

Here's my 2 cents.

1. Forget about Lubbock. Blech. Really.
2. Consider either El Paso (ELP) or Albuquerque (ABQ). Both are good gateways into NM. ABQ might be a bit tight because of the upcoming balloon fiesta that starts this Friday. Hotels in ABQ are also probably already booked up too. I'd check though, because Roswell is not a bad drive from ABQ and the balloon fiesta and Santa Fe are fun to visit.
3. If you do fly into ELP, get out and head up to Las Cruces, into the Gila Wilderness, or up to Truth or Consequences. TorC is kind of a hole, but the Sierra Grande Lodge and Spa (www.sierragrandelodge.com/) is wonderful.
4. If you are going to be in NM this Saturday, you can tour the Trinity Site (site of 1st A-bomb detonation) this Saturday (7 Oct).
http://www.wsmr.army.mil/pao/TrinitySite/trinst.htm

Send me an email (dmteter at gmail dot com) if you would like more info.

Dave

Oh, Roswell is safe. El Paso/Albuquerque, YMMV.
What timing. I was bored and decided to take a quick trip next weekend to ABQ just for the hell of it and its one of the few places in the US I have never seen. I like ES properties and was planning to book there. Have you stayed there? Does anyone have any comments on the

Thanks........AvidFlyer-
Old Nov 10, 2006, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
What timing. I was bored and decided to take a quick trip next weekend to ABQ just for the hell of it and its one of the few places in the US I have never seen. I like ES properties and was planning to book there. Have you stayed there? Does anyone have any comments on the

Thanks........AvidFlyer-
I haved stayed at the ES-ABQ quite a bit. It is new and clean. The only gripe I have a re the razor thin walls. I actually could hrear the woman in the next room sneeze. When she got her wake up call I could hear her hang up her phone, and no she did not slam it. If you are a heavy sleeper and don't mind noise it is the best place in town
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bipajr
I haved stayed at the ES-ABQ quite a bit. It is new and clean. The only gripe I have a re the razor thin walls. I actually could hrear the woman in the next room sneeze. When she got her wake up call I could hear her hang up her phone, and no she did not slam it. If you are a heavy sleeper and don't mind noise it is the best place in town
ES it is. Thanks and I will bring the noise reducing headphones
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:40 am

Programs: Plat Delta
I have had two good stays at HI Roswell and El Paso.

I was able to eCheck in for my upgraded room in Roswell. It was just a larger room with fold out couch, but everything was nice and clean. It's a relatively new hotel. Breakfast was the normal mystery egg patties but the area was very clean and well attended.

In El Paso, this one (I'm still here) is right on I-10 so there's some freeway noise, but the better view down into Mexico is worth it to be on the freeway side. It's not very loud and I've had little airport noise. I'm in a one-bedroom suite with kitchenette. There is some renovation going on here, but it's not a bother. The manager's evening reception had chili dogs and beer (I passed) and I haven't checked out the breakfast yet.

I drove a different way between the two cities and got amazing views each time.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:03 pm

Cable Channel Lineup in Texas

I have noticed that the Hiltons (FS Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn & Hampton Inn) do not carry MSNBC in their channel lineup in North Texas. I like to start my evenings by sharing laughs with Kieth Olbermann but the Hiltons don't carry the channel. Anybody know the reason.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:24 pm

Each hotel sets its own channels for their TVs, so the hotels have made a decision not to have MSNBC for their own reasons.

Mike
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
The solution is found in one word: Slingbox.
Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by kirfan
I have noticed that the Hiltons (FS Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn & Hampton Inn) do not carry MSNBC in their channel lineup in North Texas. I like to start my evenings by sharing laughs with Kieth Olbermann but the Hiltons don't carry the channel. Anybody know the reason.
I think it's because MSNBC has much lower viewership compare to the other 2 cable news channels.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
The solution is found in one word: Slingbox.
Only if you get enough bandwidth out of the hotel. I've stayed in some hotels where there was nowhere near enough bandwidth for any kind of video streaming (even highly buffered). And I've heard of some other hotels where you have to pay "premium speed" prices just to get that bandwidth!

No, the solution is TiVoToGo (tho that works better with shows that aren't topical!). A stand-alone (not DirectTV) TiVo Series 2 or newer can transfer shows to your laptop, which you can then watch anywhere, including on planes. So just record some show you like and save them for watching in such situations.

Alternately, stay at cheaper hotels! It tends to midscale hotels (and only some of those) that have "true cable" (from the local cable company). Some (but far from all) Hampton Inns have that, otherwise I've only seen it outside HHonors like at some Holiday Inn Express locations, some Best Western locations, some Comfort Suites locations, etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to get that info ahead of time, since even if you call most hotel desk clerks have no clue what channels they have...
Old Mar 17, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by kirfan
Most hotels think you prefer movies on demand to many channels. The two are incompatible. The average hotel system that supports movies on demand can accomodate a dozen or two channels typically. Out of those, they have to squeeze in all the major local channels, at least one or two news channels, often at least one business news channel, a couple sports channels, a couple kid-suitable channels, a few major general-purpose cable channels like TNT, TBS, USA, etc, and a few other types.

The chances are that the pecking order for news channels in most communities is CNN and Fox first, and Headline News or MSNBC only after that. That's too far down for the average limited-channel system that most "upper midscale" and up hotels favor.

You most often find MSNBC only on true cable systems, which you only find at some lower-cost hotels (see my other message for some examples, tho they're not from Texas specifically).
Old May 17, 2007, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
need INFO on Odessa and Midland

Which is the best hampton in Odessa or Hilton in Midland I am there next week never been there before there are not that far between them
Old May 17, 2007, 7:35 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Stayed at both several times, and they are both the same. Next generation HI's, with the new carpet, lobbies, furnishings, etc. Good rates, too. Especially since the Hilton in Midland went way up on their rates...and it oftentimes have the ambiance of a hospital.

Do a search for Midland and Odessa, and there are a few threads with info on these cities...I have posted to several.

If you do stay at the Hilton, be sure to walk down to the Wall Street Bar and Grill....great spot, very unique and good. try the chimmichurri sauce!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.