Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Leeds City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Leeds City {GBR}

I searched this forum for comments on the Leeds City, UK property.
Has anyone had a recent stay at this hotel? I seem to note some concern about certain UK Hiltons in need of refurbishing. Is Leeds one of them?
Comments, please!
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:26 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed there one night in April. Didn't notice any maintainence issues except an esclator that worked intermitently during my stay, but only saw my room (was upgraded to a suite as a Diamond travelling on award points, but the individual rooms of the suite were tiny), the restaurant, and the lobby.

We were travelling by train, and walked to the hotel from the station (you have to exit the train station, turn right, and look for the road/sidewalk going UNDER the tracks). The hotel is visible once you get to the other side of the tracks.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Amicus
I searched this forum for comments on the Leeds City, UK property.
Has anyone had a recent stay at this hotel? I seem to note some concern about certain UK Hiltons in need of refurbishing. Is Leeds one of them?
Comments, please!
This isnt the worst Hilton in the UK but not one of the best either (for me that is the Newcastle/Gateshead Hilton FWIW). Not stayed for a little while but booked a plaza suite, which was a junior suite/reasonably sized regular room. Decor and interior were not too bad by UK Hilton Standards, although those standards are not at all high. In terms of ranking in Hiltons I have stayed at within the UK I would say it was middle of the table. Distinctly average, and absurdly priced in comparison to hotels of similar standards in the US (although that is a general problem in the UK). If you are paying, I would consider an extra few minutes walk from the station and stay at 42 The Calls, which is/used to be a SLH property and with rates not a million miles away from those at the Hilton.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments.
I stayed at the Gateshead Hilton (Newcastle) shortly after it opened, and I agree that it is a terrific property. I am hopeful that the Leeds property is all right, as we have a non-refundable booking (59 GBP per night, including dinner and breakfast for two). Given the rate, we were a bit nervous about the standards of the Leeds property!!
Old Sep 19, 2004, 5:22 am
cjd

Have stayed at the Leeds Hilton on several occasions and agree that it is not too bad. It is very close to the railway station and close to the city centre. There is a car park under the hotel, which hotel guests get at a special rate, half price I think. Your rate of £59 is very low and I assume this may be one of the special 2 day rates which includes breakfast and also dinner on the first night. If it is at a weekend, be aware that the hotel sometimes gets very busy with stag and hen nights and can get noisy when they are returning to the hotel! I find the rooms are extremely small, but clean and tidy.

Chris

Last edited by cjd; Sep 19, 2004 at 5:33 am
Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks!!
Yes, it is that two night "autumn package", hence the really low rate.
Looking forward, though, to another two night stay at the Gateshead Hilton, after departing Leeds.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 1:12 pm
Original Member

The rate of 59GBP per night is very low, even for the 2 night Dinner first night package. I would just urge you just to check that you have booked the Leeds City and not the Leeds Garforth which is out of the city beside the motorway and a much inferior hotel to the city centre one.

Much enjoy the new Newcastle/Gateshead Hilton, as its now my closest Hilton after they sold the Keswick Lodore. Did not really like the old Newcastle Hilton on the coast road which was sold a few years ago.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 3:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
I stay at the Leeds City Hilton about once a year and have done for the last few years. They aren't very good at HH recognition for us humble Golds. It can be noisy and the rooms can be very small. At weekends there can be huge queues for a somewhat substandard breakfast buffet. It is somewhat in need of refurbishment.

However, it is not the most minging Hilton in the UK. At the moment, the Crossroads Motel (aka the Leicester Hilton) has that honour in my book.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 7:11 am

I am currently doing an extended staying at the hotel (29 nights already) and agree with most of the comments on the board. The hotel is very close to the rail station and a short walk to the city center. It has a nice gym on the lower levels along with an indoor pool. The breakfeast is very good in my opinion and is served until 10.30 on the weekends! I was upgraded to a suite upon arrival, which is fairly large for UK hotels with some standard furnishings. The service is very unpredictable as that's my biggest complaint. I have had the opportunity to get to know most of the staff but if you have any issues ask to speak to the Guest Relationship Manager.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:23 am

Hilton Leeds

Stayed recently and would not recommend. I'll start with the two good points - location is near the train station and you can take a bus from the airport to the train station for 1.8 pounds. The other good point is that they have a gym that you can break a sweat in.

Aside from that - the room was terrible - had the rundown super 8 feel to it. The staff was entirely unhelpful and at times quite rude. No amenities provided (I'm diamond) - bedding was pathetic and uncomfortable - bathroom was not clean and neither were some of the towels I received during the week (and they were upset about my request for an extra towel - as they only put one in a room).

I've stayed at the marriott in Leeds and must admit that thats where I'll be staying for the next trip.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Have had nothing but good stays at this hotel, with upgrades provided and extras in the room - chocolates, wine, pringles, etc (I'm Diamond). Only negative for me is a very very tighter carpark - have scrapped hire cars on the walls !

I would agree that the Marriott in the town centre is a bit nicer with a bit more character, but the lifts are very slow and the carpark remote (not fun when its raining cats and dogs!), and its tends to be a little bit more expensive.

The crown plaza is also nice, but a bit out of town - 10 - 15 min walk along a busy road.

42 the Calls is also well worth a look.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:28 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I stayed here two weeks ago. It was quite a decent place.
-Excellent location.
-Conceirge was really friendly and helpful.
-Breakfast buffet was okay, and quite extensive.
-The bar was nice, and heaving on the Fri night.
-room was a standard 4* UK Hilton room with the usual amenities and toiletries. No complaints here.
-excellent Japanese restaurant near the hotel (under the big train crossing bridge) in Granary Wharf. Superb food and service.

I would have no problems going back to this hotel. Now, Leeds is another story altogether.

cheers
AJ
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
have stayed here once also.. got the gold upgrade on request, although none of the rooms have minibars...

Rooms nice, staff friendly. Late bar is good. I'll agree with AJ on the nearby Japanese restaurant - its teppenyaki, but does decent sushi too.

Would stay again.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 3:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
It's one of those up/down properties.

I've had six stays there now. Three have been fine, three have had no recognition of Gold status.

Some of the rooms are run down.

At least it isn't Croydon or Leicester.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by iainbhx
At least it isn't Croydon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.