Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Edinburgh, United Kingdom {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Edinburgh, United Kingdom {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2000, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Edinburgh, United Kingdom {GBR}

Thinking of burning some Hilton points on a side trip to Edinburgh next month. Any suggestions/recommendations on which, if any, Hilton I should use? Looks like Hilton Grosvenor is in city centre; but not sure if its decent or a dump. Or maybe they're all Hilton Nationals and thus dumps?

Cheers,

'toad
Old Apr 4, 2000, 5:28 pm
Original Member

Not all Hilton Nationals are dumps, some are actually OK (Leeds comes to mind)! The Edinburgh one isn't or at least when I stayed last year, wasn't one of the better ones. It is a little of the main streets, but well within walking distance. They were undergoing a lot of refurb, so it might well be better now. The other one is an ex Stakis hotel. You'd probably need to take a taxi at either to get to more of the tourist areas unless you like a lot of (hilly) walking.

I suggest you do a search on the Hilton topic to last year, you should find a couple of references to the Hiltons in Edinburgh.
Old Apr 4, 2000, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Only ref I found doing a search was regards the Hilton National. Hilton web site lists 4 (though 1 is airport).

Last time I was there I stayed at the Swisotel, I think. As I recall, that wasn't that impressive either.

Maybe I should just stay at that place where they hanged the witches (if I could remember the name....) and save the HHonors points for another day.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Apr 5, 2000, 1:32 am

Salem, Mass.?
Old Apr 5, 2000, 5:04 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
'Toad, if you really decide to save the points for another day, you could always stay at the Caledonian Hotel. Old style hotel, great location at end of Princess St -

Larry
Old Apr 5, 2000, 6:00 am
Original Member

Sorry 'toad, I might not have been very clear. All you should have found is a discussion about the Hilton National in the city centre, as the Stakis then wasn't part of the Hilton Chain. The other Hiltons are out of town.

What about the George Intercontinental ? My memory says this is pretty well located, and Interconti are generally a cut above your average hotels.
Old Apr 5, 2000, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
During the holidays we spent three or four nights at the Stakis/Hilton Grosvner Square. This is a nice, old hotel with very good service. Better ameneties than many hotels I've stayed at in the UK. Check the rates before using points, as I stayed there for about fifty pounds.

There's a parking lot two blocks away, and a good pub at the end of the block. It is centrally located and convenient for the entire city.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Prem Ex, SPG Gold, HH Silver, Hertz ClubGold , avis pref
Hilton HHonors Properties in Edinburgh

am going to vacation in scotland with wifey and am thinking of 3 nights in edinburgh.
am lowly silver VIP with HH.. of grosvenor and caledonian, which one is recommandable ?
err.. i guess that's obvious.. but , is grosvenor really that bad ??
any info appreciated. .. not hung up on hilton.. am Gold on *wood but the rates are
kinda high.. any decent 4* hotel would work for us (location should be good: near bus stop or train)
Old Sep 15, 2004, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
To tell you you the truth i prefer the Grosvenor especially if staying at a weekend. It can be very noisey at the Caley when the nightclubs spill out between 2.00am and 4.00am!!

The Caley rooms are bigger but so are the prices. It's only a 10 minute walk from the Caley to the Grosvenor anyway.

Let me know if it is price,room size,location etc that you prefer and i will try to help.

There are quite a few FT'ers in EDI so let us know your plans,dates etc and we could do a beer or meal if you like.

Cheers

Alan
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:23 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
I stayed at Grosvenor

...and I liked it. There are 2 buildings facing each other across a road. I was in the 'club' building on the top floor. It was quiet, but I was recovering from jet lag and I liked it. The staff was helpful and friendly..recommended a coach tour, etc. And it's a very easy walk to town.
I had a large room and a 'large' bath. It got a little stuffy at night..no a/c but I imagine that won't be of concern now.
If you fly to Edinburgh you can also catch a cheap and easy bus to the hotel. Just ask to be dropped off at the Haymarket train station instead of going to Waverly bridge. The Grosevnor is just around the corner from the Haymarket train station.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Prem Ex, SPG Gold, HH Silver, Hertz ClubGold , avis pref
thanks for the info.. am going there during weekdays (mon-thurs, returning to
london on fri) so i guess that nightclub crowd won't be a problem .. on the other hand,
we might add to nightclub crowd in london

'its our first trip to UK so don't really know what to expect in hotels. Am ready to stay with any other hotel also... btw, what's the diff. b/w twin-room and double-room (from hilton website for grosvenor ?)
and yeah.. am ready to meet with the local FTers while we are there. will post my number once i get to london and get a local sim-card. Also, is there a website which tells of various day-trips we could do (via train/bus as am not planning to rent-a-car) thanks much.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
A twin has two singel beds a double one big bed!... its a bit like US kings and queens. Having stayed at both I would go for the Caledonian, try for a room over looking the castle..a fantastic view. The only disappointing thing about the Caledonian in my opinion is the bar, pokey little place for the size of the hotel, but the hotel is near lots or bars and restaurants so not a big deal. Have you seen ajamerson's excellent Edinburgh guide on the Britain destination board?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:19 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299979
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I stayed in the Caledonian in January this year. I had a comfortable suite (which I didn't ask for, but they upgraded me on their own) on the first floor that faced the inner courtyard so no view, but it was quiet. The room was very comfortable. Was only there for 2 nights and was fighting jet lag, so I only had room service a couple of times. Food was excellent. Staff was friendly and very helpful.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 12:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

I stayed at both the Grosvernor and the Caledonian last year, when AJ had an Edinburgh Do. I am Hilton Diamond - which is relevant, I think. I found the Grosvernor better value for the money. It was about half the price of the Caledonian. I was given a spacious room, and a nice array of amenities (including some quirky ones, such as Pringles chips and a little sewing kit). However, another FTer with no Hilton status stayed there and was dismayed with her room. I got the sense that there was considerable variability.

At the Caledonian, I was given a lovely room overlooking the castle. It is a more central location, although the Grosvernor is not bad. For me - since I am Hilton Diamond - it would come down to price. If I got the Grosvernor at 2/3 the price or less than the Caledonian, I would stay there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.