Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Quebec {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Hilton Quebec : A shelter for homeless...kind of!! :)

2 days ago, an electrical fire at the Delta Quebec City changed venue plans for a little over 250 guests, as they became homeless, since the hotel was shut down.

The nearby Hilton became the shelter for about 100 of those guests for 2 nights (as the Delta is reopening tonight March 7th).

Some of those guests were kicked out of the Delta while relaxing at the pool. It must have been a thermal shock to go from 90F (30C) to -20C in few seconds, just in their bathing suits!

Kudo's to the Hilton staff to help those "homeless" guests in a dire moment.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Question No Upgrade for Gold at Hilton Quebec City?

Hey All, question if you've had a similar experience. I am definitely not coming at this from the I'm owed and upgrade standpoint, I know it's a benefit and not a guarantee.

We just stayed at the Hilton in Quebec City, I chose this hotel for location and the executive lounge looked pretty nice.

At check-in I inquire about an executive floor upgrade, and i'm told that it is "policy" that only Diamond members get upgrades. I asked her when that policy had changed "it's always been that way". I know that this is bs as 99% times that I stay at Hiltons I get upgraded to the Executive level as a Gold Member. (I'm guessing maybe it's a Hilton Quebec internal policy)

So, I take the rooms we booked figuring that I'll go back down later once there's been a shift change and try again. Before I go back down I check online to see if I am able to book at executive room for that night (to verify that rooms are available)

The 2nd attendant tells me that he thinks it's "impossible" but will go talk to his manager. He comes back from talking to his manager and tells me that it's a no, and that Gold members only get upgraded 25% of the time anyway (I don't know where that figure comes from as it has not been my experience.)

We enjoyed the stay regardless, but it's just a bit annoying knowing that rooms were open on the executive floor, but that the hotel chose not to give us an upgrade.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:57 pm

Yeah man, I definitely remember staying there as a gold - It was memorable because they were straight up super hard about it, exactly as you note. No ifs, ands, buts; hotel could be at 50% occupancy, no cares given. Check the property thread - with which I am sure this will eventually be merged - for a bit of back-and-forth circa 2013 between myself and some other posters regarding this exact matter. This property does not exactly exude hospitality.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the benefits says nothing about the upgrade benefit being to an executive level room, it just says preferred room. Says same thing for Diamond.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, the benefits says nothing about the upgrade benefit being to an executive level room, it just says preferred room. Says same thing for Diamond.
Yeah but it's pretty common to get that upgrade at Hiltons. Usually cheaper for the hotel than giving a free breakfast, so not sure why some are so stingy.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeah man, I definitely remember staying there as a gold - It was memorable because they were straight up super hard about it, exactly as you note. No ifs, ands, buts; hotel could be at 50% occupancy, no cares given. Check the property thread - with which I am sure this will eventually be merged - for a bit of back-and-forth circa 2013 between myself and some other posters regarding this exact matter. This property does not exactly exude hospitality.
Not surprising that someone else had the same experience. Both times when I inquired about the upgrade, it was sort of a "robotic" answer, so I think it's just a policy of this particular hotel.

I saw your post from 2013, and from other's responses it seems like the lounge is nothing to write home about, so I guess no major loss.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah but it's pretty common to get that upgrade at Hiltons. Usually cheaper for the hotel than giving a free breakfast, so not sure why some are so stingy.
Yeah, I was thinking about it last night, and I don't think i've ever been denied an executive level room on any of my stays as gold. Albeit the majority of those stays were in Europe.

You would think that it is cheaper to give someone access to the lounge and a continental breakfast. They gave us free coupons to the "cold buffet" breakfast in the main breakfast area. However you can upgrade it to the full breakfast for $3. I don't think they are making money on that.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
I saw your post from 2013, and from other's responses it seems like the lounge is nothing to write home about, so I guess no major loss.
It depends what you value... I'd argue that this particular Hilton Lounge offers probably one of the nicest city view compared to most other lounges in Canada - overlooking Old Quebec and the parliament. One year, the concierge hosted a special event in the lounge when they had nighttime fireworks visible from the lounge and stuff. Yes, the evening food is probably just OK, and breakfast relatively standard (although I quite like when they have the warm maple crepes).

As a Diamond I usually get upgraded to a nicer room, but I'd say it is probably 50/50 on an upgrade to the actual exec floor.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andrewsheehan
I know that this is bs as 99% times that I stay at Hiltons I get upgraded to the Executive level as a Gold Member. (I'm guessing maybe it's a Hilton Quebec internal policy)
So this is the only time in 4 years you haven't been upgraded to the Executive floor? May I ask which Hiltons you are staying at? I'd say 25% is more of the norm unless you know which hotel often gives these to golds or you book one category up in Europe and then via NOR1 get Exec. floor which has a very high success rate.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I have a similar query at a Hilton in Asia. I am Gold status and find the wording of the rules amusing to say the least. Golds get complimentary lounge access, only if upgraded at check in.

Zero standardisation and all down to the discretion of the hotel. I'm not interested in 'fighting for an upgrade, either my loyalty receives an upgrade or it doesnt... but to allow the hotel to decide is 'pants'...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Premier Owl
Zero standardisation and all down to the discretion of the hotel. I'm not interested in 'fighting for an upgrade, either my loyalty receives an upgrade or it doesnt... but to allow the hotel to decide is 'pants'...
If hhonors benefits were standardized, needless to say this forum would be much less active...case in point being that we have a 650,000-view thread on what kind of breakfast each property serves.

The point is that for better or for worse, you have to do your research on a property-by-property basis and choose your stays wisely. For every property that treats elites with indifference, historically (though this is sadly dwindling...) there has been a property that will treat us well, and some good research will guide you as to how best to allot your travel spend in a manner that rewards such properties.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@arlflyer - which is why I tend to use SPG/Marriot, where benefits are standardised. This is one trip where I am having to use a Hilton (and this was certainly not my choice)...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:03 am

@arlflyer - which is why I tend to use SPG/Marriot, where benefits are standardised. This is one trip where I am having to use a Hilton (and this was certainly not my choice)...
Well, SPG Gold also only gets Club access if they gets upgraded to a Club room. Similiar to Hilton's Lounge access only if upgraded to Exec Room for Hilton Gold. I personally feels IHG is the worse though. An Exec room upgrade with IHG usually EXCLUDES lounge access ...
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:41 am

Well hold your nose and it will be over soon.

Joking aside, the likely good news is that most Hilton properties in Asia treat even their Gold members pretty well. If you search the thread for the specific property, you can usually get a good idea of what might be in store.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I have stayed at this hotel twice both for large conferences. The first time i arrived at 10 pm after a delayed flight and they informed me that my reservation was canceled claiming i had called and canceled while in flight? I spent over an hour at the desk finally getting a room. The second visit a couple of years ago was also frustrating. I had reserved a corner suite with views of the parliament and st laurence river. The room they assigned me was not a corner suite and had no view of the parliament but they spent 24 hours claiming this was the room i had reserved and would not reduce the rate! I finally talked with the manager who admitted they had downgraded me and finally moved me to the correct suite and gave me a big chunk of points to make up for their bs. Since i have never even received the room i reserved i would never expect an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.