Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How to get a room when hotels are booked months in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a room when hotels are booked months in advance?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HHonors-Gold, Marriott-Silver, SPG-Gold
Joe Airman,

The distance that you walk once inside the Morial convention center can sometimes be longer than from your hotel TO the convention center. That place is huge. I don't blame you for wanting to be close.

I can't speak specifically for AHA or the housing company they use (ITS, according to their website) but in most cases, associations sign contracts to block a certain number of rooms on certain nights. If they use a housing authority, then contractually, the hotel can not use rooms from that block until after the date on which the block is released.

I'm not a Diamond and I'm not saying that the hotels don't/won't do this for elites. I really don't know. However, according to their contracts with the association, they're not supposed to. It can cause a real mess if they do. Since the housing authority has total control of the block, if they fill it up and then find out that Hilton also booked the same rooms, you'd have a bunch of people with confirmations from the hotel getting walked to another property. Unhappy people.

They'd probably try really hard not to walk elites. But depending on how badly the block is oversold, they might have to. This is bad for the hotel, since they'd have to pay for their mistake, plus have angry elites.

Of course, if you're Diamond, they might be able to book you ouside the block anyway, in whatever non-conference inventory they might have. It's worth a shot. If you're not Diamond, it's still worth a shot, but probably less likely to be successful. Again, I wouldn't know, being just a lil ol Silver myself.

If you really want the hotel, you're better off:
1. Calling the hotel directly at 330 days out and not being part of the block.

2. If it's less that 330 days out and the hotel shows no availability, try the hotels.com type sites to see if they have any inventory there.

3. If THAT fails, wait until the block is released, within about a week after the cutoff. Then call and try to snag a room that was held in the block but not used by the housing authority. For a certain time after the cut-off the hotels will still show the rooms as blocked. Keep trying back until the block is released and the hotel is able to take reservations. You may still get the conference rate this way, but the hotel isn't required to offer it anymore. If you really, really want the hotel, keep trying. There are always cancellations. It would be a good idea to have a back up, just in case you still don't get in.

If the housing authority is good, they go through out-of-block rooming lists to "claim" anyone who was there for their show (matching against registration lists) and get the credit for you anyway.

If all else fails, there's an okay Doubletree not too far from the Morial CC. It's walkable (maybe 6 blocks to Hall A) unless you really hate walking or are carrying a lot of stuff, then it's about a $4/5 minute cab ride. Nothing spectacular, but you'll get Hilton credit there, and warm cookies.

The rest of this is OT for Hilton and hotel info, so I'll keep it short. In regard to exhibitors, lots of associations have a ranking system based on factors like booth size, consecutive years as an exhibitor at the conference, sponsorships, etc. They sometimes use that to determine who gets "first pick" at "prime" opportunities (hotels, booth space, etc.) It's sort of an association's "exhibitor loyalty program." Also, sometimes "big" exhibitors will negotiate their own block with the housing authority. They usually get spread over several hotels, though, to avoid eating up a whole property. Finally, some associations designate specific hotels as for attendees only (not exhibitors.) Which may be where your A, B, C forms come in.

I have no specific knowledge about the AHA, but it's fairly standard for associations to do something like that.

Last edited by jdscianna; Sep 13, 2004 at 1:04 pm Reason: grammatical blunder
Old Sep 16, 2004, 9:16 pm

The next time you want a room at a booked up hotel, call the hotel directly and ask for the "Thor 24 rate". While I'm not sure exactly what this is, I have used it sucesfully on two occassions. Apparently (I was told this by a travel agent) there is a service (THOR - don't know what it stands for) that has two holdback rooms at most major chains that aren't released until 48hours before arrival. Thus, even a sold out hotel (if it participates in Thor 24) has two rooms unsold until 48 hours out at which point they are released. Both times I have used this there was a $10 surcharge in addition to the room rate.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My experience as a Diamond a couple of years ago, may be instructive, or not (YMMV.)

I was a presentor at a large conference (DEMA) at the Morial convention center, and called the Embassy Suites nearby. I went from "no availability" to "no nonsmoking available" to "Oh, yes sir, of course we can accomodate you."

I don't recollect what the rate I was offered was, but of course it was reimbursable (or deductible as a business expense, or in the case of AHA, as a legitimate expense incurred in providing voluntary service to an IRC 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.)

Embassy Suites Hotel New Orleans
315 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA 70130
Tel: 1-504-525-1993 Fax: 1-504-525-3437

limited valet parking, $22
about 1 block from the Morial, as I recall

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 2004 at 10:01 am Reason: add hotel info
Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
AHA is a huge meeting. Book soon, or expect to walk a lot!

Rooms will be release ~2 weeks before (usually know when they tell you that you have to deal directly with the hotel for cancellations).

$250 per night for the Hilton when they expect to sell-out is a good rate. I would expect the rooms to go for ~$300 once they are release.

If you book now you should get all HH benefits for your level.

Good luck!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

I know the AHA is a big conference. I've been going to it for the past 10 years.

I DON'T expect to be be biting my nails and looking for a 14-day booking when (supposedly) the housing authority block expires (and lose my deposit with the authority to boot).

I am SICK of playing the housing authority game and was looking for some sort of "insider" way to just freeking book the hotel I want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.