Hilton London Olympia {GBR}

Old Mar 30, 1999, 3:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
Hilton London Olympia {GBR}

On 2/16, Merry said that:

"'Hilton National' is the UK brand name of Hilton Internationals 'convienience' hotels.
In London there is a Hilton National in Olympia, but the Kensington Hilton is NOT a Hilton National, it is a Hilton International "

Is this a BAD thing? Should I switch before it is too late?
Old Mar 31, 1999, 12:29 am

Matt: Yes.

Nationals are glorified Motels.

Transfer your booking to the Kensington Hilton, it is only 'round the corner and should cost you no more than 20 ($30) extra a night.

When you arrive, go take a look at the Hilton National Olympia - and you will thank me
Nick
Old Mar 31, 1999, 2:15 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I know - Matt you can trustfully thank Merry without having a look at that so-called "Hilton".
Old Mar 31, 1999, 7:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in BUDAPEST, HUNGARY
Thanks, guys. I switched the reservation for a difference of 5.40, and they took my confirmed upgrade, too (despite the World of Savings rate quoted) .

[This message has been edited by Matt Wald (edited 03-31-99).]
Old Apr 7, 1999, 2:53 pm

Regarding the Olympia National, I too have a few opinions. My fiance and myself stayed there in the fall of 1997. The bottom line is that I thought the hotel was TERRIBLE. The rooms were VERY substandard (dirty, shabby, etc).

The service was also extremely poor every time.

Even the hotel managment was incompetent.

Bottom line is that I would avoid this hotel at all costs!

I have stayed at the Hilton National in Edinburgh, and I though it was very nice.

- steve

Old Oct 19, 2001, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Arrow Hilton London Olympia

My friend has a very small HHonors balance.
She is thinking of using her points at this
Hotel. Can I get your opinion on safety,
comfort and shopping at or from this Hotel?
Thanks
Old Oct 22, 2001, 9:55 am

I stayed there three times about a year ago. It is an older hotel that is nicely situated in Kensington. There is a Tube stop next door, but it is an extension station and service is infrequent, so I usually walk to Earl's Court or Kensington High Street. The walk to about 10 minutes. The service there was spotty, and the furniture worn. The staff did not seem very knowedgeable about Hhonors. The rooms are small and smoky (even for NS rooms). They were renovating when I was there, so maybe they have gotten better. The restaurant had a pretty good breakfast, although if you don't get it comped or included, I think it is 25 GBP, not worth it.

The third time I stayed I was upgraded to a suite.

If you are getting a good rate or can use significantly fewer points, it is an acceptable place to stay. While I don't think you will be blown away by the hotel, it is a safe and well situated place with decent rooms.

Chris
Old Oct 22, 2001, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
There have been other reviews of this property in the archives.
If there's any advantage to this hotel, it is because it is adjacent to the Olympia station which is on direct rail line from/to LGW. Since it is in zone 2, fares to/from LGW is slightly lower (by GBP1-3) than a rail fare to central London, and saves you the connection fare too.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 3:39 pm

Have you considered the Hilton Kensington? Much more comfortable hotel and just as convenient.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 7:03 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
Is the London Olympia Hotel Nice Hotel?

I am looking to take my wife to London, and I checked on award stay openings in December 27th through January 2nd. The Olympia has openings and is a HH4 award (35,000) points.

My question is if this hotel is worth it? We have never been to London, and would like a nice hotel to base ourselves.

Do you have any thought or suggestions? I would sincerely appreciate it!
Old Nov 5, 2001, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No its not. 1st stay in London stay somewhere nicer and more central. Even the Mews would be better (and I hate the Mews).
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:02 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
Any suggestions? There was a list of properties which had openings. I would appreciate which hotel(s) would be the best for a first timer and centrally located for sightseeing.

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your heart is set on Hilton properties, I'd suggest the Trafalgar or the Langham as probably the best of the bunch.

The London Hilton is a big central property.

The Green Park's biggest problem is no A/C. It is centrally located however.

The MEws is also centrally located and sometimes has ridiculously low rates.

A lot of people have said nice things about the Metropole. It's not super central, but close enough.

The Paddington may be open soon and is equidistant from where you want to be to the Metrople.

Some people have said mice things about Islington, but I have no experience.

Olympia (as stated before) is not that good and definately not central (its next to a conference facility which is not central).

There are tons of posts on the subject, and I'm sure others will add comments.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
do a search for london hiltons in this forum and you'll find many many threads.

i'm confused by the 35,000 "HH4" point redemption level... what is an "HH4"?

even on a pointsaver, i don't see how the olympia would be 35,000 points for six nights. (although, frankly, it would be a good deal at that rate.)

but the olympia is pretty downmarket, with ordinary rooms and very few special services. check-in and check-out can also be a bit chaotic.

a better choice and located very near is the hilton kensington, where the rooms are very small, but much nicer. overall, it's a much better property, often at similar prices or point values.

also good in the non-premium hilton range is the metropole. for premium properties, i recommend the langham.

but do a search... you'll find a diversity of opinion on all the hilton london properties.
Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:53 pm
DOC 2 BE

I thought that someone wrote, or perhaps it was the Hilton website, that the Olympia recently underwent a renovation?

Also please explain re the 35,000 points for 6 nights and which properties are offering same, and when.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.