Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Embassy Suites Anaheim - South {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embassy Suites Anaheim - South {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:44 pm

I would not recommend this hotel

+v'es
Convenient to Disney
Free breakfast
Managers reception includes Jim Beam
Good decorative order
Lots of parking

-v'es
Busy, Busy, Busy - not a relaxing place at all
Breakfast area totally overun with people, massive queues, messy, took over an hour for breakfast
Lifts (Elevators) - two is not nearly enough, especially at busy times (eg breakfast). Waited a good number of times for over 5 minutes, very annoying.
Noisy - kids running round at all times of the day and night.
Some other minor service issues not dealt with too well.

Overall, on balance, for me the negatives outweigh the positives, a decent place but the negatives combined to make it a stressful place to be which is not good on vacation. If I was on my own on business I would heartily not stay there - it would drive me nuts. We did however stay when I know it was full - a stay at none peak times may lead to a better experience.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: HHonor gold, AA, Delta, United
Booking Embassy suites south Disneyland using points

I am planning to take my family (2 adults, 2 kids) to Disneyland for my older son's 5th bday. I'm a gold member with over 220k in hhonor points, found this Embassy suites south (category 6) that costs 28k points per night for 5 nights.

However, I just read the thread about how to effectively use your points, and decided to do some comparison. On the nights I am going, they have 'advanced purchase rate' of $152 per night (disney facing), versus 28639 points, which means I am only getting 0.53 out of my points (average value 0.6 or 0.7), so is using up my points a good idea in this case? Am I better off just to pay the $?

I haven't booked the air yet so I do appreciate a little flexibility, the trip is for Feb next year. $152 is good but it's also non refundable...

Any suggestions as well as maybe reviews on this hotel? Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: the 28639 rate is shown as a 'Hilton Honor Special' (regular rate 32k), is there anyway to find out any 'special rate'?

Last edited by iwls01; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:59 am
Old Oct 12, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by iwls01
On the nights I am going, they have 'advanced purchase rate' of $152 per night (disney facing), versus 28639 points, which means I am only getting 0.53 out of my points (average value 0.6 or 0.7), so is using up my points a good idea in this case? Am I better off just to pay the $?
When else would you use your points? The "high value" redemptions discussed here are only "high value" if you would want to stay in such hotels.

What is the flexible rate for your dates?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
It's a long walk from south of orangewood to DL. Not that bad in the morning, but on the way back it is rough. The ART is slow and a little hard to predict.

You may want to look at the small motels right across the street for you disney days, and then stay someplace nice with your points before or after.

Side note - If it is anything like it was in Sept. you need a plan to get to ride radiator springs racers without waiting in line for 2+ hours. Be at DCA when the doors open, and get in line for fast passes.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by teCh0010
Side note - If it is anything like it was in Sept. you need a plan to get to ride radiator springs racers without waiting in line for 2+ hours. Be at DCA when the doors open, and get in line for fast passes.
Last time we got there half an hour after DCA opened, and all the fastpass for the radiator spring racers were gone. It was actually a good thing, since most people are holding on that fastpass and therefore cannot get any other fastpass, we just hit all the other rides with very little wait.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by teCh0010
It's a long walk from south of orangewood to DL. Not that bad in the morning, but on the way back it is rough. The ART is slow and a little hard to predict.

You may want to look at the small motels right across the street for you disney days, and then stay someplace nice with your points before or after.
Thanks for all the replies, I was debating whether I should book the Disney Resort inside disneyland since it will be easier for the 4 & 2 year old and they can go back to the room to take a nap if needed, but they are so expensive! (especially compared to the free embassy suites if I use my points). Maybe I should wait for some deal to come around the holiday season...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by iwls01
Thanks for all the replies, I was debating whether I should book the Disney Resort inside disneyland since it will be easier for the 4 & 2 year old and they can go back to the room to take a nap if needed, but they are so expensive! (especially compared to the free embassy suites if I use my points). Maybe I should wait for some deal to come around the holiday season...
Take a stroller for your 4 year old, even if your 4 year old never uses one. We have a pair of Maclaren Volo umbrella strollers that work out well for Disney.

Check out the pirates league for your son's birthday day, My son did it and really enjoyed it. He got to say ARRR a lot.

I just did this in Sept. with a 4 and 2 year old. We stayed at the doubletree at orangewood and harbor, and definitely feel like you couldn't walk back for a nap. If you think one will need a nap then book one of the motels across Harbor from DL.

Check the hours, during the week they may have the hours cut back enough that you can just power straight through and let the 2 nap in the stroller. This is when we my 4 year old son and I did the rides the 2 year old can't go on.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have stayed at the ES on Harbor many times.... In fact I hJust booked a points stay for Nov. It is a long walk. The ART is slow as mentioned. The Doubletree is a bit closer and also has suites.

We do not mind the longer commute, but we do not have kids.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I have stayed at the ES on Harbor many times.... In fact I hJust booked a points stay for Nov. It is a long walk. The ART is slow as mentioned. The Doubletree is a bit closer and also has suites.

We do not mind the longer commute, but we do not have kids.
Thanks for the replies, we don't plan to walk with 2 kids, guess will have to allow more time for the ART. Doubletree does not have as nice as breakfast and evening snacks, and no points special as ES. We are staying for 6 nights, probably do a 3-day park hopper and allow 3 days (in between) to rest.

Just hope I'm using the points wisely since it is only $150 for 28k points...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Does anyone have an update on typical Diamond benefits at this property?
Old May 24, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Any updates for this property?

Have a convention at this property, but I'm debating whether I should stay at this property or the Hyatt Regency Orange County across the street.

One plus for the ES is that parking is $13 vs. $24 at the Hyatt.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by StephenW
Any updates for this property?

Have a convention at this property, but I'm debating whether I should stay at this property or the Hyatt Regency Orange County across the street.

One plus for the ES is that parking is $13 vs. $24 at the Hyatt.
Hyatt is much better and has a great breakfast for that kind of property. No lounge unfortunately, but suite upgrades are frequent. ES just does not look that nice inside, but it gets the job done as well.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Just wanted to update regarding my stay.

Pros:
- Comfortable bed
- Parking comped for two cars (Diamond benefit?) I joked about trading my water for parking and the check-in agent said, "Don't worry, we'll take care of it."
- Solid breakfast offering. Good omelet.
- Prime location for Disneyland (Though that's not what I was there for)
- Disney Junior channel for the little one. Cartoons at 9pm!
- Parking was easy to find at 8am and 7:30pm.

Cons:
- Room was a bit dirty/dated. Gum stuck in carpet. Marks on walls near dining table.
- Water pressure was low
- Bath products were bottom of the barrel
- Old plumbing - lots of bumps and noises in the pipes in the wall above the bed everytime a toilet was flushed or the water was running.

All in all, not a bad stay for $100. HGI and Hampton Inn in the same large parking lot.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond AA Platinum
Any recent updates? Great rate so I have two nights there coming up in a few weeks before heading to Carlsbad and wanted to see how the place was holding up?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Stayed two weeks ago on points with family. Overall it was a good stay. Hotel was full and had a convention so elevators were slow. Breakfast was busy but solid - stayed here vs DT due to breakfast recommendations and was not disappointed. Easy to get to Disney. Parking lot was packed and spaces were small. Rooms are getting dated. Would stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.