Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley {US-CA}

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley {US-CA}

Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Good news! They are going to renovate this hotel!

I was here over Christmas and they had signage up showing the planned renovations.. It will have a very modern look to it..

From

To Something Similar to this:

From what I saw.. its going to look really awesome when done. They had no planed start date but the Hilton and the new Hampton Inn down the street are owned by the same people so I assume construction will start after the Hampton Inn opens.. Hopefully they use different contractors as the HI is opening 2 + months late.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:08 am

It's good they have a renovation planned for this property that is in need of it. I still
prefer the location of the nearby DT, but this Hilton usually has a better rate.
Thanks for the pics.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
this is great news about the renovation, but i cant help but laugh a little seeing the pictures of the renovation, it may take a long time to remove the interstate 8 interchange and replace it with that nice looking lake in the window.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by particlemn
this is great news about the renovation, but i cant help but laugh a little seeing the pictures of the renovation, it may take a long time to remove the interstate 8 interchange and replace it with that nice looking lake in the window.
I pulled those photos off a different hilton website. . They look similar to what they have showing at the hotel. .
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Stayed there last month. Won't be staying again. Here's my review on TA

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:39 pm

A year later and the renovations are done! The staff is a lot more friendly as well. All round a good job on improvements. This is a Superior Room and a vast improvement of what it was before. I did get a smaller room as they do have a few bigger rooms where the bed faces the freeway but was not given one of those this time.

Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:24 pm

Decent stay at this hotel. It is still under renovations, and the pool area isn't finished as of early January 2015. The gym is on the second floor, with the air conditioning on full blast. The breakfast is ok, selection wise. The standard hot buffet food, plus nice fruit. In particular I found the breakfast staff friendly. Is easy to find off the highway. Front of the hotel faces the freeway, which is more interesting then the hill in view in the back.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Staying here now

Came here for the good rate this week. As far as the lounge they do have on on the 14 executive floor. You get standard cont breakfast and evening reception.
The DT across the freeway does not have a lounge any more.
Rooms have been updated and lobby nice and welcoming. I would stay here only if the rate were better that both DT's and other Hiltons in the area.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by sanFF
Came here for the good rate this week. As far as the lounge they do have on on the 14 executive floor. You get standard cont breakfast and evening reception.
The DT across the freeway does not have a lounge any more.
Rooms have been updated and lobby nice and welcoming. I would stay here only if the rate were better that both DT's and other Hiltons in the area.
Can you clarify for the lounge, do they offer full breakfast or continental breakfast? Do they have eggs made to order, etc..?

I booked a room there in the coming weeks and they sent out an email to "upgrade". The description for the executive lounge includes: "Full breakfast is served from 6am to 10am daily."

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:54 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

901 Camino del Rio S San Diego, CA US 92108

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley (8 Photos)

I stayed at the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley hotel for 3 nights in October, 2016. Diamond member.

Check In

At check-in I was provided with 2 bottles of water and breakfast vouchers for the full buffet. I was not given an upgrade, but the hotel was completely full (showing sold out on the app as well) and I was informed that the 8th floor was the highest they had available. It seemed reasonable.

Room

My room, on the 8th floor, seemed to be recently renovated, and was in good shape. The room had 1 king bed, a small couch, desk with chair, and flat screen TV. There were 2 electrical outlets and 1 USB power source next to the bed on each side. The bathroom had a shower with a glass door (no tub).

20161019_001240.JPG

20161019_001257.JPG

20161019_001302.JPG

The room (#823) faced toward the highway, as do all odd numbered rooms. The road noise was definitely audible, but it was muffled and more like "white noise." However there was the occasional motorcycle or ambulance that could be heard. My advice is that if you're a light sleeper or you prefer absolute silence, ask for an even numbered room to face the mountain on the back of the property.

20161019_092922.JPG

Additional details: The top floor of the hotel is 14, and there is no 13th floor. The 14th floor is the executive floor. The executive lounge is keyed, but the elevator itself is not. As a diamond I was given lounge access.

Dining

Breakfast was a choice between the lounge or the restaurant, so naturally I tried both.

The lounge breakfast featured hot items: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, and breakfast potatoes. And cold items: fruit (melon, pineapple, strawberries), bread, and various pastries. It was a decent spread for a lounge.

20161019_092939.JPG

In the restaurant, the selections were more extensive. I ate twice in the restaurant, and present both mornings were: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and breakfast potatoes. Also present the first morning were fried donut sticks and scrambled eggs with sausage. The second morning, gravy and biscuits were provided (although the biscuits were all gone and not replaced while I was there). There was also fruit and bread.

20161021_113400.JPG

20161020_100701.JPG

Unfortunately, omelettes were not included in the buffet, but subject to a $3.00 up-charge. I ordered an omelette the second day and it was nothing spectacular as you can see...

20161021_113652.JPG

Overall the service in the restaurant left a lot to be desired. Still it was nice to have the option of the lounge or the restaurant, and not to deal with any silly up-charges like some properties (except the aforementioned omelette, which I'd recommend you skip).

This location is surrounded by highways, so it's not very walkable. I was attending a conference at a property across the highway, which was less than a half mile away as the crow flies. Yet I had to take Uber each day because getting there involved taking the highway just to get across.

Lounge

The lounge is on the 14th floor. It is protected by key card.

It's not particularly large, but they have a counter along the windows with bar stool seating in addition to a few tables.

I only visited the lounge once, for breakfast (pictured) on my first day. I did not get to use the lounge much because it closed at 8:00 PM each day, which meant it was closed when I arrived around 9:30 PM, and I was out beyond 8:00 PM my other days there.

Overall

Overall the stay was fine and I recommend it if the price is right.

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton San Diego Mission Valley?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 3, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Stayed here recently. Not walkable and a car is necessary to get around, not walkable at all.

Nice hotel and the room looked like it was recently renovated.

I wasn't offered the option for breakfast in the restaurant but didn't ask, so not sure if they still give that option to diamonds or not. The lounge breakfast was sufficient, they had scrambled eggs and several other hot items. Evening appetizers were good. Lounge was nice and access was limited to those on floors 12 to 14, in suites and diamonds so being overcrowded wasn't an issue. Only complaint is lounge closes at 8 but they are open all day. One of the best US lounges I've been in.

A gold I know stayed there recently and was denied lounge access since he wasn't upgraded to an exec room but was given a hot breakfast in the restaurant that he said was better than most US Hilton breakfasts
Old May 4, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wasn't offered the option for breakfast in the restaurant but didn't ask, so not sure if they still give that option to diamonds or not.
Yes, they do. I stayed there 3 days ago, and was asked at check in if I wanted breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant. I did the restaurant, like I always do!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Has anyone stayed here recently? The recent TA reviews say there is no lounge. Did they remove it completely or is it closed for renovations?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Has anyone stayed here recently? The recent TA reviews say there is no lounge. Did they remove it completely or is it closed for renovations?
I stayed there a few days ago.The lounge is closed and will not open again. It is converted to a suite. They told me "We have been told by Hilton Corporate that they are removing the Lounge at ALL US Hilton hotels"!
I posted it in another thread a few days ago.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 11:58 pm

I have just ended one of my worst stays ever at a Hilton hotel. It was Hilton San Diego Mission Valley.
After checking in I had some important work to do and tried to log in to Internet. I just got the message "Internet is not available". Both when selecting the HHonors and attwifi network. I tried two different phones and one iPad. The same on all.
I called Guest Service and the reply was "Just restart your phone and it will be working"! I said it was wrong. I said that something was wrong with the hotel's Internet connection. And was told "I will send someone to your room to restart your phone for you"!! Very rude.
And nobody came. So I went down to the front desk. And explained, even showed them the error message. The same again, "Restart your phone". Then I had to tell that I have been working with IT since 1970, that's 48 years, so I know quite a lot about this. Then he said that he would send someone to my room to check within 15 minutes.
Nobody came. I went down again and talked to a new man, the 3rd person. He promised to check it and get back to me within 15 minutes.
He never came back to me.
So I called Guest Service again and talked to the 4th person. The same again. "Restart your phone and it will be fine". She did not listen to me at all.
That was 4 people who did not listen at all and did nothing to help. And was rude. It was now 8 hours without Internet. And I had really important work that I was not able to do.
Before going to bed I went down to front desk again and talked to the 5th person. And he was the first to take me seriously. He suggested that he come to my room to check himself. He did, and saw that I could not connect. Then he tried his own phone, and also he was NOT ABLE TO CONNECT!!
He agreed that something was wrong. He said he was going to contact ATT. He did, but they could not solve it immediately.
The result: NO INTERNET for all my stay. And even worse: I was treated like an idiot by 4 employees. They did not listen to me and did nothing to help. They all promised to send people to my room and promised to get back. None of them did!
The last guy was the only one who did something to help. I refuse being treated like that as a Diamond member!!!
This was a terrible experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.