Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton San Diego Mission Valley {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:09 pm

Planning a trip to San Diego later this week. As a direct result of this post I will not be at the Hilton this time (or any other time in the future for that matter).
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just remember that the "manager" could have been just about anyone from a junior assistant manager to the actual hotel general manager (unlikely) - and in fact, the hotel GM may be as shocked as you to hear about this treatment. (And of course, the desk clerk may fear for her job to bring it up with the real "powers that be".)

In fact, the only way that matters like this get better is to let the GM and/or hotel owners know - it may be a fine hotel with 1 rogue employee, or it may be a pit with a "no favors for anyone" policy. I don't know. Just something to think about.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:37 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
It's worth writing a letter to the general manager, indicating the time/date you were in the check-in line. If the GM doesn't give you a reasonably satisfactory apology about how they treated that important guest, I'd personally like to hear about it on FT.

I stay in that hotel about once a year, and the visits have been pleasant.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 9:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
SD/Mission Valley Hilton

SD/Mission Valley Hilton (901 Camino Del Rio)

High rise Hilton. Just off freeway (805)near 8. Parking $8. Category 3.

Welcomed as Gold. Given room on the 14th floor top. Facinging the hill in back, versus the "city" freeway, parking lot view. Quiet. Breakfast certs given without asking. No club at this property.

Bed was very comfortable...very (wished I had checked the details on the mattress to see what it was and firmness guide). Room not overly large, but useful.

Parking was $11?

Breakfast (cont.) started well with coffee and a nice greeting. Our two selections of rolls and OJ took a long time to show up. Then things went poorly. Service ended. Most everyone left to set up another room. That included our waiter and busboy. We made our own "trips" for additional coffee, but did not know where to get more OJ. Oh, well. Saved a tip. Also had our parking charges knocked off. More that fair!!! Good going Hilton. Except for the cashier/hostess at the coffee shop, the employees were quite nice and friendly.

Worthy of future stays.

[This message has been edited by ranles (edited Dec 15, 2003).]
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:23 am
Suspended

How is Hilton Mission Valley?

I'm gonna stay in San Diego for a conference 6 nights. I've decided to stay in Hilton Mission Valley. Is this a good hotel for a gold? I've looked at the Doubletrees and other Hiltons in the area.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:01 am

I enjoyed the property

the metro train is right across the street so you can go to the big mall or gas lamp area or just sightseeing via it

movie theatre next door along with small mall

many restaurants in walking range we went to joe's crab shack, prego (italian)

its nice hotel and quiet but has the basic amenities
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Gold Breakfast Question & San Diego Mission Valley

I'm staying at the Mission Valley Hilton in San Diego - 1 night paid & 2 nights award - this will be my first stay at a full-service Hilton as a Gold (I've always stayed at Hampton Inns). I've got a question regarding breakfast & upgrades. My stay will be a Friday-Monday stay over 4th of July weekend and I've requested a room with 2 double beds.

On the Hilton website, it says:

At U.S. and Canadian Hilton hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Towers or Executive Level floor, whenever possible. In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered either (1) the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person or (2) personalized certificates for each day of the stay for the member and one additional person valid for complimentary continental breakfast in the hotel coffee shop or all-purpose restaurant. At hotels without a Towers or Executive Level, Gold VIP members will be offered complimentary continental breakfast each morning for the member and one additional person. And when in hotels or when paying a rate where a complimentary breakfast is a benefit for all guests, Gold VIPs will be offered a special amenity as an expression of our appreciation.
So, as my stay overlaps a weekend & I've requested a room with 2 double beds, as a Hilton Gold:

1) Will the Executive Level Lounge be open & will breakfast be served for free in it on the weekends (I've never been to an Exec Lounge before)? By the italics above (italics mine) I'm assuming that if a hotel has an Executive Level Lounge then the Gold guests get to eat free breakfast there - however, if a hotel does not have a lounge, then breakfast is comped in the restaurant? Are lounges open on weekends? If not, should I be asking for breakfast certs at check-in?

2) Would I receive the breakfast benefit for all 3 nights of my stay? The first night is paid & the other 2 nights are award nights.

3) Does anyone know if this hotel has Towers or an Exec Level? I would assume it does.

Thanks in advance for answering what are probably basic questions!

Last edited by bhatnasx; Jun 20, 2005 at 7:47 am
Old Jun 20, 2005, 9:23 am

Programs: HH Gold, MR Silver, PC Platinum, CC Gold
I haven't stayed there, so, I can't answer your questions. I have a suggestion, though. On the website, on the page where it shows hotel details, is there a link for an email to the hotel specific? If so, they should be happy to answer your questions and let you know if the exec floor lounge will be open that weekend.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, UAL Premier, Southwest CP
I've stayed there multiple times over the last few months. As far as I know, there is no executive floor. The only difference that I could see with the rooms on the top few floors is that the window opened a bit and there was a planter box in the window.

As a Diamond, I received a welcome basket with a cookie, chips, two bottles of water and nuts. Each night, there was turn-down service, and housekeeping would bring by three small little cookies. I received a coupon to use each morning for breakfast in the restaurant of the hotel. Overall, although the rooms are a bit small, a pretty nice hotel. Ask for a room facing the hillside as the ones facing the highway are pretty loud.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcjackson
Ask for a room facing the hillside as the ones facing the highway are pretty loud.
Good tip - thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pcjackson
I've stayed there multiple times over the last few months. As far as I know, there is no executive floor. The only difference that I could see with the rooms on the top few floors is that the window opened a bit and there was a planter box in the window.

As a Diamond, I received a welcome basket with a cookie, chips, two bottles of water and nuts. Each night, there was turn-down service, and housekeeping would bring by three small little cookies. I received a coupon to use each morning for breakfast in the restaurant of the hotel. Overall, although the rooms are a bit small, a pretty nice hotel. Ask for a room facing the hillside as the ones facing the highway are pretty loud.
Similar experiences. There is no lounge or exec floor. As both a gold and a diamond I've received the basket with the goodies plus they gave me a b-fast coupon for each day of my stay. IIRC the coupons were good for about $7 off your a.m. restaurant bill. Also agree about wanting to face the hill. It's noisy on the freeway side no matter what floor you're on.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:57 am

Location: ORF & AUS; I have an ex-wife and and an ex-house in both cities.
Programs: AA Gold, DL GM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Diamond here. Got the coupons and and the so-so room. I was unimpressed with this place. There is a Japanese place next door that was pretty good and is an iDine (Rewards Network) place, so I picked up some miles for that. I seem to remember that I paid about $150 a night here. San Diego is an expensive palce for rooms, but still....This wasn't all that.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/UAL Exec Prem
Hilton San Diego Mission Valley

Have done a search on this property and am trying to get some updated information since the renovations. Firstly - are they complete? I was originally booked at the Hilton Resort but am considering this place as it is convenient.

A couple of specific questions: Firstly, do they comp parking for Diamonds? Secondly, do they have a shuttle to the trolley? I will be attending a conference and would prefer not to have to hire a car, but if I do need to, I don't particularly want to pay for parking. In general how do they treat diamonds.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:16 am
cjd

Originally Posted by UserinSFO
Have done a search on this property and am trying to get some updated information since the renovations. Firstly - are they complete? I was originally booked at the Hilton Resort but am considering this place as it is convenient.

A couple of specific questions: Firstly, do they comp parking for Diamonds? Secondly, do they have a shuttle to the trolley? I will be attending a conference and would prefer not to have to hire a car, but if I do need to, I don't particularly want to pay for parking. In general how do they treat diamonds.

Thanks!
Haven't stayed at the Hilton, but the Doubletree Mission Valley was very nice and it's right beside the trolley stop. As a diamond, each time we've been upgraded to the Executive floor with access to the lounge. It usually gets good reports.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
As an alternative when you are in San Diego, I have seen rave reviews for the Hilton Gaslamp. It's my favorite location--you may want to consider this property. Another one I have visited (met a colleague for lunch) is the Hilton La Jolla--beautiful grounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.