Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in New Zealand {NZL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in New Zealand {NZL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Queenstown, NZ Hotels

Hi, does anyone have experiences they could share staying at the Hilton or the Doubletree in Queenstown? I'm looking to visit there in April, comparing them to Accor's Sofitel Queenstown and Hotel St Moritz MGallery.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:18 am
Suspended

have stayed at both the Sofitel and Hilton - besides the Sofitel being in the city along the lake and the Hilton a few kms outside of town (and no shuttle) on another lake what type of info are you looking for?

Originally Posted by FGunawan
Hi, does anyone have experiences they could share staying at the Hilton or the Doubletree in Queenstown? I'm looking to visit there in April, comparing them to Accor's Sofitel Queenstown and Hotel St Moritz MGallery.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by leeky
have stayed at both the Sofitel and Hilton - besides the Sofitel being in the city along the lake and the Hilton a few kms outside of town (and no shuttle) on another lake what type of info are you looking for?
That's already helpful leeky thank you. We're also wondering about the general feels of the property and guest rooms, ie whether either feels dated, breakfast, and facilities like pool area.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by leeky
The Hilton is beside Lake Wakatipu. The Sofitel is in the middle of town and is a few minutes walk from Lake Wakatipu (note, same lake @:-)) The Hilton runs a water taxi to town. Wondering if you've actually been there?

I haven't stayed the Sofitel or MGallery, but the Hilton is about 20 mins drive outside town, close to the airport. The Doubletree is in the same complex and uses the Hilton restaurants. Both good standard, but if you want convenience stay in town.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:06 am
Suspended

stayed here for 5-nights but had a car (as we drove NZ for 4-weeks)

by shuttle I meant a mini-bus (and if they have a water taxi I was unaware of it as I said, was driving) and therefore at the time had no cause to enquire.

Originally Posted by Nickolash27
The Hilton runs a water taxi to town. Wondering if you've actually been there?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:32 am

I stayed at both hotels in September, walking distance between them(takes 1 min if you walk slowly) so hotel hopping is no problem at all.

Hilton is a better hotel, both hotels have the same restaurant for breakfast. Very good breakfast however.

Its way off Downtown as many have mention, we did have a rental car so no big bissue for us. Using Points is a good value at Doubletree.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:00 am
Suspended

trying to seperate Queenstown from Taupo Hiltons as we stayed at both as one of them was VERY strict on continental breakfast limitation for HH-D but honestly can't recall which.

Can't recall the beds in any of the hotels - kinda mix them all up.

Recall that in Q-town we went to -5C Bar which for residents of Thailand was unique. Also took a ferry boat around the lake - very relaxing. There's like a mini walking park around the lake where all the restaurants are located - nice afternoon in the sun.

A few kms away from the hotel was an old mining town turned tourist town called Arrow-something (and another one called Arthur-something) where we found a few interesting choices for dinner.

We were thinking of staying at this hotel, driving over to Milford Sound and returning but changed our minds - not that far but the twisting roads aren't that speed intensive - so drive over and spent the night in Te Anou and did the whale watching boat in Milford the next day - unfortunately, no whales but plenty of sealions and they try and get you wet on a smallish waterfall.

If you also go to Taupo, try white water rafting nearby - alot of fun.

Originally Posted by FGunawan
That's already helpful leeky thank you. We're also wondering about the general feels of the property and guest rooms, ie whether either feels dated, breakfast, and facilities like pool area.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see the report here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...t-spa-nzl.html
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Found our room at the DoubleTree to be small and crowded but stylish and functional. We had a studio with a little kitchenette at the entry way which we used for two meals, a small lounge room and small bedroom/bathroom. There was two tv's. It had a nice view of the lake and we really enjoyed it. Worth noting we had a rental car to get into town.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:59 am

Does anyone know if there is still construction work going on behind the Hilton Queenstown & the Doubletree (apartments being built)?

Quite a few reviews on TA from Feb this year mention it & one states the construction is going on for two years but recent reviews don't mention it.

Also for anyone who has stayed at both how different are the Doubletree and the Hilton in terms of quality? Trying to decide if the Hilton is worth the extra points (50k v 30k)

Are you charged for using the pool in the Hilton if you stay at the Doubletree?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:42 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mookie10
Recent P&C Stay at the Doubletree.

Upgraded to Lake View room, which included a small balcony and kitchenette area.

Comp breakfast was at the neighbouring Hilton - one of the most comprehensive spreads I have seen, including full Asian breakfast options, as well as lovely view of the lake.

Used the stay as a stopover between the Glacier Highway and Milford Sound. Set off to Milford Sound at 10am - took about 4 hours each way including stops for numerous pictures, etc - driving very easy and picturesque and Milford Sound was stunning - well worth the driving time.

Also, free underground parking in the hotel garage, and only 5mins drive to Queenstown Airport - didn't use any of the hotel's other facilities.
Queenstown Doubletree is a great value at 30k points when you compare the cash price. In fact I beat the cash price by buying points. Cancellation policy is generous compared to most alternatives in the area.

The mattress is outstanding. The location is scenic and relaxing. Free parking saves hassle, and you do need a rental car to get around. I got an Alamo car on Hotwire for $330US for 12 days!

Originally Posted by highlandguy
Does anyone know if there is still construction work going on behind the Hilton Queenstown & the Doubletree (apartments being built)?

Quite a few reviews on TA from Feb this year mention it & one states the construction is going on for two years but recent reviews don't mention it.

Also for anyone who has stayed at both how different are the Doubletree and the Hilton in terms of quality? Trying to decide if the Hilton is worth the extra points (50k v 30k)

Are you charged for using the pool in the Hilton if you stay at the Doubletree?
Construction behind the hotel appeared paused after hillside was prepared for foundations. I was very pleased with Doubletree at 30k, but I didn't do much except sleep and cook a few things. If you're spending time in your hotel room here you're doing it wrong.

Doubletree guests may use the Hilton's gym but pool access costs $20. The pool is indoors and quite narrow, and currently the saunas are not operating.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Hilton should finally have a presence in Wellington with the Doubletree scheduled to open there around July 1st. It's right in the center of the CBD on Lambton Quay, the main shopping street in town. This is after Hilton tried multiple times to build a large hotel on or near the waterfront and got rebuffed each time.
We also recently stayed at the Doubletree Queenstown. We also stayed for 30K points--very nice, although very busy with large tour groups during our stay. It's way out of town, but very close to the airport, and the water taxi (NZ$10NZ) and the free shuttle (15-20 minutes into town with the delay for the main road bridge construction) made it doable. The NZ version of Rent-A-Wreck (Scotties) is next door, with very cheap, ancient but functioning and clean cars, one of which let us see the surrounding area, wineries and to get into town over 2 days.

Last edited by taxatty56; Apr 5, 2018 at 8:06 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by taxatty56
Hilton should finally have a presence in Wellington with the Doubletree scheduled to open there around July 1st. It's right in the center of the CBD on Lambton Quay, the main shopping street in town. This is after Hilton tried multiple times to build a large hotel on or near the waterfront and got rebuffed each time...
Jolly good, they missed me by about four years (last I was in Wellington) but I will return nevertheless. Wonder what it'll be like.

Queenstown is a charming spot and the Hilton/DoubleTree there makes for one of the best hotels I've stayed in. The fact that they are somewhat out of town appeals to those who perhaps aren't so keen on the après-ski festivities and the boat across is worth the ride especially during winter when that other tourist vessel on Lake Wanaka doesn't operate.

Did anyone mention the breakfasts? Now that's what we're talken 'bout!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Catweazle
Did anyone mention the breakfasts? Now that's what we're talken 'bout!
I paid $210 NZ for one night at Doubletree with breakfast included. Buffet next door at the Hilton. It was impressive. It was a close decision between $210NZ with breakfast or 30k points without, so I did one night of each.
Catweazle likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:16 pm

Queenstown Doubletree is now 40,000 points. I'm put off by the cancellation policy for point stays:

"If you cancel for any reason, attempt to modify this reservation, or do not arrive on your specified check-in date, your payment is non-refundable. 80,000 points will be deducted from your point balance."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.