Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton East Midlands Airport {GBR}

Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BotB
This hotel has a monthly 'Hilton Honors Appreciation' Event, 2nd Wednesday evening of each month, between 7 and 8 PM in the bar (small side room area to the left as one enters the bar area). All HH members invited, not just gold/diamonds...Decent alcohol choices to self pour (champagne, red/white wine, a few (bottled) beer choices), soft drinks and small nibbles.

Only a few seats put out so arrive early if that is needed/important.

Hotel staff mingle to better get to know the HH guests but it was pleasant and staff are quite nice here. From memory about 5 staff and roughly 10 hotel guests so decent chance to talk to the staff and for them to hear your feedback!

Event was held in Nov. 21, and most recently 9th Feb.

Please do update the wiki if you have other useful info to share regarding the hotel. Thank you!
Print Wikipost

Hilton East Midlands Airport {GBR}

Old Dec 31, 2020, 3:58 am
  #46  
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Update: This hotel and the DT Nottingham have now moved into tier 4 so only essential travel allowed within the area and no mixing between tiers so my first stays are now cancelled but I'm hoping a stay on the 26th Jan. will stay go ahead if the Covid rates drop between now and mid Jan. when the situation is reviewed again...will post again once we see how things develop. Really curious to see how this hotel handles / compares to the Radisson at the same airport regarding cleanliness, food (morning and evening) and generally staff and guest behaviour. Stay safe everyone.
wizla likes this.
BotB is offline  
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:14 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by BotB
Staying here on the 4th Jan. (hoping no lockdowns/tier 4 increases will happen between now and then!) for work reasons...
You can stay in hotels in tier 4 for work reasons (as well as long list of other exceptions). As for your detailed questions, the only thing to do is to contact the property directly, as each property can handle things differently.
BotB likes this.
Andrew_G is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2021, 7:19 am
  #48  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by Andrew_G
You can stay in hotels in tier 4 for work reasons (as well as long list of other exceptions). As for your detailed questions, the only thing to do is to contact the property directly, as each property can handle things differently.
Thanks, appreciate the response and info. While it is possible to stay in a hotel for work reasons in tier 4, there are caveats that it should only be if one cannot work from home and one isn't really meant to enter / exit a tier 4 area unless absolutely necessary (as you mention there are exceptions but I don't fall into those). I can work from home and do most days of the work week but it is nice to have some social interaction with those in the office as well as getting any change in internal politics, etc...not to mention it is a nice benefit to travel a bit and just get out of the house after all this time locked away in our homes! Thanks for mentioning the ability to still stay though, just in case I wasn't aware.

Good point about it being quite likely that each hotel will be different regarding the way things are handled for food / breakfasts / evening meals / benefits. I'll contact them via the app when it is closer to the stays in the second half of the month (assuming we don't all go T4 or full lockdown soon...fingers crossed!)

Stay safe everyone, will update when I do finally get to stay up here or the DT Nottingham!
BotB is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2021, 8:04 am
  #49  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Posts: 1,696
Having stayed at both the DT Nottingham and the Hilton EMA, my preference would be the DT Nottingham.
Rooms are nicer and the last couple of times I stayed at the Hilton, I was distinctly underwhelmed.
It was in 2018, so not sure if anything has changed but it was looking very worn!
redpalmetto likes this.
adobbing is offline  
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:54 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: norwich, uk
Programs: hhonors diamond
Posts: 5,349
Originally Posted by adobbing
Having stayed at both the DT Nottingham and the Hilton EMA, my preference would be the DT Nottingham.
Rooms are nicer and the last couple of times I stayed at the Hilton, I was distinctly underwhelmed.
It was in 2018, so not sure if anything has changed but it was looking very worn!
I agree the DT is definitely more modern and newer although I did stay there when it was the Nottingham gateway hotel back in 1996 so the building isnt as new as it feels.
I stayed at the Hilton EMA last February and was very impressed, i arrived late after a gig and left fairly early so didnt get to have a proper look but I think having access to a spa is a huge pull for me..... the room was great too.
wizla is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:32 am
  #51  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Have a stay here tomorrow night for work purposes and will update the thread to give a data point under current restrictions in the UK (and compared to the stay at DT Nottingham last week).

No upgrade as of today so won't check in and will see if I get anything before I arrive at the hotel tomorrow evening.

I have booked a rate that includes breakfast (just to see if that provides anything over a 'continental' bag...and feed that back here (no pun intended )

Last time I stayed here was many years ago, will be interesting to see how it is now.

No email requesting info on whether the stay is for work or leisure...not sure if DT Nottingham has put something on my file to indicate I need to be the area for work or if that is just lack of attention to detail at this hotel...hopefully not a reflection on Covid measures here.

I'll update the thread tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed....

I also note (potentially this has been the case for a long time but I've just not noticed?)...under 'benefits' icon: (re: breakfast only being continental here as a diamond benefit....was that always the case pre-covid?)




I did check the 'request upgrade' icon in the app and it shows this:



Let's see what happens tomorrow. Stay safe everyone.
BotB is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:59 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester, England
Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Posts: 7,988
Re: The continental breakfast question, that is the standard wording for the breakfast benefit in Honors. It is almost always referred to as a continental breakfast, even when a full buffet.

It certainly used to be a full buffet at this hotel pre-COVID measures.
BotB likes this.
RAPC is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:54 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: norwich, uk
Programs: hhonors diamond
Posts: 5,349
Originally Posted by BotB
Have a stay here tomorrow night for work purposes and will update the thread to give a data point under current restrictions in the UK (and compared to the stay at DT Nottingham last week).

No upgrade as of today so won't check in and will see if I get anything before I arrive at the hotel tomorrow evening.

I have booked a rate that includes breakfast (just to see if that provides anything over a 'continental' bag...and feed that back here (no pun intended )

Last time I stayed here was many years ago, will be interesting to see how it is now.

No email requesting info on whether the stay is for work or leisure...not sure if DT Nottingham has put something on my file to indicate I need to be the area for work or if that is just lack of attention to detail at this hotel...hopefully not a reflection on Covid measures here.

I'll update the thread tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed....

I also note (potentially this has been the case for a long time but I've just not noticed?)...under 'benefits' icon: (re: breakfast only being continental here as a diamond benefit....was that always the case pre-covid?)




I did check the 'request upgrade' icon in the app and it shows this:



Let's see what happens tomorrow. Stay safe everyone.
Hi mate.....you want room 408 if you can get it, it’s huge , away from the other rooms and quiet, think it has a sky window as well.
My review is a couple of posts back.
adobbing and BotB like this.

Last edited by wizla; Apr 19, 2021 at 2:56 pm Reason: Additional information added
wizla is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2021, 3:08 pm
  #54  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Interesting contrasts between the two hotels and approach to the current lockdown situation.

To come to the point, I'll be staying here rather than the doubletree as my main Hilton chain hotel for the area.

The DT is certainly better for the room quality and hotel hard product. (besides the bed which wasn't all that comfortable). The Hilton EMA is far better for service and amenities (at least during this lockdown easing phase) the Hilton EMA is very dated and underwhelming in hard product but they make up for it in the soft product.

I checked my stay details around lunchtime and noted I had been upgraded to a deluxe family room which was nice. (the rooms are dated here so it was the gesture that counted more than the tangible room differences). I checked in online and asked to use my phone as the keycard but by the time I got to the hotel I couldn't be bothered so just asked the friendly chap at checkin if I could get a physical card anyway and it was no issue. He then sent me a text that has a link to the evening menu and a further link that one uses to order breakfast. My rate this time was a flex cash rate with breakfast (so not just diamond status). I do not know if that makes a difference to the breakfast choice but I'll book non flex in future and without breakfast and compare in another post in a couple of weeks. The menu link for evening food is a pdf you can save and you can simply text back what you want and they'll deliver to the room (I did not see anything regarding extra tray charge to do that but best to check if it is important to you). The food choice was definitely larger than the DT with small and large choices and plenty of drink choices (alcohol or non). One can also eat outside at a patio area they have built up in front of the hotel (the side not facing the motorway so quieter). I went down and sat outside (it was a lovely 16 C at 7 PM tonight when I arrived so why not take advantage!) Quickly served and good staff. Had the beef burger and chips with a side of onion rings and a couple of beer (bottled but draft was available). Most seats taken but there were still a few places free so not rammed full. ^

No extra charges to sit outside or get proper table service (tipping optional obviously). ^

Quite busy here tonight, the car park is quite full. Parking is 5 of course / night but any airport will charge parking fee (worth taking into account though when comparing to the DT as they don't charge extra for parking).

Plenty of signage around about covid measures and hand sanitiser, even some disposable wipes from dettol if one wanted. ^

Everything in the room works but it is very dated and that may put some off but the bed if comfy and the shower works....and the service has been miles ahead...

Breakfast is 8 if you aren't getting it free or haven't booked it with your rate. The breakfast items are a variety / choice of continental items and a choice of hot bacon roll or egg on a roll. Hot drink was a choice including speciality coffees (so we'll see how the cappuccino fares in the morning.) I found the ability to select all or none or each area of the breakfast quite nice compared to other chains so far so kudos to them for that. I have screenshots of the various screens and will upload those when I am back home to show the choices possible.

They made up the sofa bed (family room) and put an extra towel and toiletries on that bed which was a nice touch. two bottles of Harrogate spring water (still) in the room (nicer brand than the DT used). No fridge in the Hilton EMA though, which was frustrating as I had brought a few drinks to put in there and chill...I suppose I could have asked for ice and a bucket but didn't bother. Maybe another time.

bathrobe and slippers in the room and towels are nice and soft (not worn like the Southampton DT has).

I've only logged onto the free wifi (not the premium) and found that adequate for the few webpages I'd check (not doing any movies or streaming).

My room is facing the motorway and I can hear it but hey ho...I'll live, I'll definitely ensure to get rooms facing the other way next time. (I think but need to check that even rooms face away from the motorway). I didn't have a choice of rooms so couldn't change this time around.

The gym was staffed and open and the pool looked to be open and in use. ^

All staff I have come across so far are excellent. So service wins here and hard product wins at the DT in my opinion. I'd rather be here in these covid times but later it may change as that hopefully becomes less of an issue and we can eat inside, etc...

So, until May 17th, looks like it will be here and the Radisson EMA for me due to better service and food offerings (both breakfast and evening).

Car park is gated and CCTV takes the registration, OLCI allows you to state you have a car and to bill that to the card and use your phone to exit apparently...Haven't tried that but may have a go another stay.

Stay safe everyone. Hope this comparison and review is of interest. Pictures to follow in a day or two.

Any questions please let me know.
holmedown, NoY, RAPC and 2 others like this.
BotB is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2021, 4:45 am
  #55  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
post stay comments and pictures:

Service throughout the stay was great. Definite strong point here.

Breakfast was delivered on time and on a tray to the door. ^ All items ordered were delivered (even if that looks somewhat meagre on the tray in the picture). The bacon roll had 3 rashers of bacon and there was at least ketchup supplied to add. (didn't see brown sauce so if that is important maybe worth asking for it extra). I did like that it was on a tray, real cutlery and real dishes. The cappuccino was actually quite good and still frothy so full points there!

Check out went quickly and without issue. No ticket or phone (room key) needed on exit...simply need to register the car details with reception so they can ensure it is paid and also not ticketed! (CCTV system here). As an aside: if you do use the phone as a room key and didn't go to reception, I am not sure how they would know your car registration as they would bill you but not know which car it was for...something to remember to pass on to the reception via text or call.

I'll be staying again, even if the hard product isn't as nice as the DT Nottingham as the service is far better and that makes any stay nicer in my view.

Next stay in a couple of weeks. (Rad EMA this coming week).

A couple of pictures from the screens you go through when ordering your breakfast (yes, 18 screens but quick to navigate as each screen is for a specific item of breakfast or time, etc...) and a couple of pics of the beef burger (the bun is not burnt, rather it was a lovely black colour and was very tasty!) and breakfast tray.

Safe travels everyone.







NoY, chrism20 and delinquentwoody like this.
BotB is offline  
Old Apr 23, 2021, 1:17 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: norwich, uk
Programs: hhonors diamond
Posts: 5,349
Originally Posted by BotB
post stay comments and pictures:

Service throughout the stay was great. Definite strong point here.

Breakfast was delivered on time and on a tray to the door. ^ All items ordered were delivered (even if that looks somewhat meagre on the tray in the picture). The bacon roll had 3 rashers of bacon and there was at least ketchup supplied to add. (didn't see brown sauce so if that is important maybe worth asking for it extra). I did like that it was on a tray, real cutlery and real dishes. The cappuccino was actually quite good and still frothy so full points there!

Check out went quickly and without issue. No ticket or phone (room key) needed on exit...simply need to register the car details with reception so they can ensure it is paid and also not ticketed! (CCTV system here). As an aside: if you do use the phone as a room key and didn't go to reception, I am not sure how they would know your car registration as they would bill you but not know which car it was for...something to remember to pass on to the reception via text or call.

I'll be staying again, even if the hard product isn't as nice as the DT Nottingham as the service is far better and that makes any stay nicer in my view.

Next stay in a couple of weeks. (Rad EMA this coming week).

A couple of pictures from the screens you go through when ordering your breakfast (yes, 18 screens but quick to navigate as each screen is for a specific item of breakfast or time, etc...) and a couple of pics of the beef burger (the bun is not burnt, rather it was a lovely black colour and was very tasty!) and breakfast tray.

Safe travels everyone.







Thanks for coming back with the final update....... interesting to see the difference between here and DT, I think I prefer the Hilton EMA myself too.
holmedown and BotB like this.
wizla is offline  
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:44 am
  #57  
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW London and NW Sydney
Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Posts: 6,290
So no more unofficial free parking for Diamonds if they have now installed an ANPR system (they used to give you a free ticket when checking out)
:D! is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:49 am
  #58  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by :D!
So no more unofficial free parking for Diamonds if they have now installed an ANPR system (they used to give you a free ticket when checking out)
It would seem that way, I'll ask about it next time I stay here in a couple of weeks and post again on that aspect.
--

Unrelated to the quote above; I've seen a thread on the 'safe stay' blue stickers being used less in some hotels and so thought I would just post here that both the DT Nottingham and here at the EMA Hilton, they were still using the blue stickers on rooms and they were indeed sealed. (as well as the remotes being sanitised).

Stay safe everyone.
wizla likes this.
BotB is offline  
Old May 17, 2021, 7:19 am
  #59  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Originally Posted by :D!
So no more unofficial free parking for Diamonds if they have now installed an ANPR system (they used to give you a free ticket when checking out)
Sorry, just realised I hadn't come back on this point...the answer is (as you can imagine)...No.

Diamonds have to pay the 5 / night parking fee.

I've stayed a few times and the service remains good, No real upgrade to speak of yet and I really miss having a mini fridge in the room to keep drinks cool. No diamond amenity (bottled water in the room if that is it!)

I'm staying again soon and it will be interesting to see how they change to the latest Covid measures (eating inside officially allowed now). The Radisson down the road has been serving a full English breakfast along with a full continental (delivered to the room) when I've stayed there recently so hoping the Hilton will up its game now and the food/drink/bar offering is decent but safe.

Safe travels everyone.
RAPC, :D! and wizla like this.
BotB is offline  
Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:15 am
  #60  
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Posts: 5,352
Stayed a few times here this year now...so a few points worth mentioning:

-upgrades tend to be to deluxe rooms only not above that...and nicest rooms currently open are on floor 3. No rooms on 4 open to my knowledge.

-breakfast is now self service (thankfully!) after the latest rule changes so that is a nice development. They still have some outdoor picnic tables which one can sit at for alfresco dining/drinking and is nice to see becoming more permanent.

-fairly busy each week to be honest, not full but more than 50% for sure.

-still no mini fridges in the rooms and only two small (330 ml) bottles of water provided in the rooms.

-staff are very good and service is great. Hard product is tired. I think they have redone the hallway carpets just recently so that is a start at least!

-the bar area is quite nice...the restaurant lacks the character of the bar area.

-may be a one off but this week as a diamond that booked a rate with breakfast, they comped my parking fee (5/night, with in / out privileges) which was a nice gesture and if you can get Carlos as the main contact, he's excellent. (as are many others but he went just that bit further this week).

Stay safe and hope everyone is travelling again.
wizla likes this.
BotB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.