Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Sanadome Nijmegen {NLD} (no longer Honors)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2004, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.

Has anyone stayed at this Hotel? Any reviews?

I can't find it on a map of the Netherlands...???, but the website info says that the closest airport is AMS. So how close to AMS is it?

What I find interesting about the property is the Health Spa and the warm water pools and baths.

So is this a thumbs up or thumbs down kinda place?
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:43 am

it's 120 km from Amsterdam !
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Ok, any more info about the property itself?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:26 am
Suspended

Please also see:
www.sanadome.nl

It is a very nice property, but it is always full, so a rate below Euro 120 would be a steal, not to mention a chance to redeem HHonors points, especially on weekends.

A 4 star rating in the NL does not mean too much, but I would rate it a little big higher than the usual Scandic, for example Essen, Bruxelles or Antwerp.

It is indeed a good hour away from Schiphol by car, likely 80 minutes and you have to change freeways a couple of times, so I would recommend to take the train directly from Schiphol Railway station, located under the airport.

www.ns.nl will help you to find the right departure time, maybe you can even take a direct train, otherwise you would have to connect at Duivendrecht.Fare should not exceed Euro 15-20 one way.

Last edited by Threy; Apr 21, 2004 at 1:31 am
Old Jul 31, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights a couple of weeks ago.

Hotel is located in the woods, surrounded by miles of parks, a few miles from Centraal Station, Nijmegen and unless you have a car it is a bit of a bus ride.
There is a small window at the station with bus information. I believe the bus line is #8 and it runs about every 30 minutes and takes about 15 to 20 minutes. Strippenkaart used for trams and buses in Amsterdam were good for the bus lines here. The bus stop is at the hospital and the Scandic Sanadome is next to it. If the gate is open you can cut through a path to the hotel (about 100 meters). If it is locked, then you have to walk out to the main road and over to the hotel (about 400 meters). You have to say Sanadome when mentioning the hotel since nobody seems to recognize the Scandic name.

The brilliant white hotel has 4 wings and is 4-5 stories high. A large fountain in front bubbles like a volcano and soothes the mind as you enter Sanadome. Two wings have rooms facing the front of the hotel and the fountain. The balconies on this side face the parking lot and entrance. The hotel has lots of spa traffic and there is much less privacy if your balcony faces the front side. The two wings on the back side of the hotel look out upon a grassy area with benches and the woods. We had a tranquil view and enjoyed the privacy from our particular deck on the far left room of the third floor.

I was on an award stay and we received a comfortable room. The weather was relatively warm and we kept the balcony door open all the time. Well, that isn't exactly true. I went out on the balcony and was sitting in a chair at the table soon after arriving around 4 pm. My wife came out to join me. She was afraid there might be mosquitoes and she closed the balcony door. The design of the doors is such that they automatically lock when closed. There is no way to prevent this as far as I could tell.

So within 20 minutes of arrival we were locked out on the deck. Did I mention this was the side of the hotel with more privacy? I wasn't too panicked since several people were on the pathway below. My wife asked what I was going to do about our problem, and I suggested she yell down for help. She refused and I figured I would be stubborn and require her to participate in our rescue since she put us in the situation. The people below all left and then our situation became a little more uncomfortable as it began to rain. At first, just a slight shower, soon followed by a heavy downpour. There was a bit of an overhang on the balcony, so we could stay out of the rain, but nobody was coming out of the back of the hotel in the rain.

Doesn't everybody speak English in the Netherlands? Apparently not in Nijmegen. After about 40 minutes we saw a woman come out of the hotel and I yelled down to her. She looked up, wrapped her head in her hood and hurried off in the rain. We received similar responses from the next 5 or so people to appear over the next hour.

The rain stopped and finally after 90 minutes a woman responded to our call for help. She informed the desk and within a few minutes someone came to the room to let us back inside.

Now I know we can't be the first people to have incurred this situation. As I said, I didn't see any way for the sliding door not to lock when closed. My recommendation to the hotel is to place a warning sign on the door.

As far as the hotel:
* The elevators were the slowest I've seen. I generally used the stairs.
* The bathtub was wonderfully deep and it had a power shower that I truly enjoyed.
* The spa is incredibly popular. There seemed to be plenty of day guests.
* Breakfast was provided as a buffet meal. It seemed half of the guests lived in their robes and breakfast looked like a slumber party.
* There was a complete age mix and a proportional spread from old to the youthful. On the whole I was surprised at the large number of 20-somethings there.
* We made little use of the spa so I can't comment on that, however I thoroughly enjoyed the walks through the woods in the surrounding areas. This is a great place for bike rides in the countryside.
* The rooms on the lower two floors do not have balconies. The upper three floors all have balconies (just beware of closing doors.)

For 10,000 points a night this place is a deal. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a little rest and relaxation in the Netherlands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.