Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs {US-CO}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hampton Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs {US-CO}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2004, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Arrow Hampton Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs {US-CO}

Does anyone have any experience with this property--good, bad or indifferent? Need somewhere to stay for an upcoming business trip.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:54 am

How soon are you going? I'll be there on the 24th of this month, and will be happy to report if no one else has.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:39 am

Ok, I'm back from playing in the snow.

Bearing in mind that I was there in the lowest of the low seasons (skiing ended in Steamboat the week before, but it was still snowy and icy at higher elevations), I would give this property a thumbs up. Well-kept, a helpful and earnest young man behind the check-in desk, and nice rooms. I had reserved a standard king room with a fireplace (merely because that was the cheapest option offered), and got a suite without a fireplace, an omission that bothered me not at all, or I would have said something to the helpful and earnest young man.

The Hampton Touch was generous: a basket with a half-liter bottle of water, an apple, a can of Sprite, a package of six Oreos, and a bag of chips. There was a minibar sized fridge, a microwave, and a bar sink between the living and bedrooms, which were not separated by a door.

The only quibble I had here was the walls in this hotel are thin, thin, thin, so make sure you ask for a quiet, isolated room, unless you really like to know what your neighbors are discussing.

It's about a mile east of downtown Steamboat, and a short walk to a McDonald's and a Safeway on the other side of the highway. This being mud season, everything but the Safeway closes early, so if you want to be seated for dinner after 7pm, call ahead. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a DIY sandwich from the deli in the grocery store, or a frozen dinner.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Hampton Inn & Suites Steamboat Springs, CO

My family of four just did a one-night stay at this hotel, and were very happy with the experience. We booked the "1 King, 2 twin" room, which was perfect for a family with older kids (12 and 15). Although a single room, it functioned more like two rooms, since the large rectangular room was divided by the framing for the bathroom, so that the remaining space was C-shaped. There were two flat-screen TVs for both sets of beds, and watching different shows simultaneously was easier than I thought it would be. The bedding was modern and comfortable. The evening manager was very friendly and made sure we got our complimentary check-in cookies. He also gave us a fantastic recommendation for a restaurant that evening. Breakfast the next morning was hot and well-stocked, with a full-time attendant making sure it stayed that way. The only potential negative was that the room was a little dark once the sun went down, but it wasn't a big issue for us. The room cost ~$177, which is fairly typical for Steamboat-area hotels in both winter and summer.

We were skiing with friends who had a gift-stay (from an SPG-member parent) at the ski-in/ski-out Sheraton resort ($399/night), so we were able to contrast the two properties. Their room at the Sheraton was tiny in comparison to ours, with two double beds, and a very small bathroom/vanity area. Breakfast was not included, of course.

I would also contrast our HI stay with a Steamboat stay we did two summers ago. It was prior to my being an HH member, so we booked a room at the Fairfield Inn. When we went to check in, we were rudely told that the hotel was oversold and that our reservation had been transferred to the La Quinta Inn, and were assured that it was actually a nicer hotel than the Fairfield. The La Quinta was pretty run down, dirty (very liberal dog policy, with one freely wandering the lobby area), and poorly managed. At breakfast the next morning, our choices of food were instant oatmeal and cold pastries. An "out of order" signed was taped to the orange juice, and there was no milk, as the manager said it was still thawing (from our room, we could see a 1-gallon jug of milk thawing in the sunlight of the window of the manager's office). The room cost was $150 for that stay, so I'd say the extra space and far superior service we got at the HI was well worth the extra $20. Steamboat is a great place, so it's nice to know that a pleasant stay can be had at a moderately-priced hotel.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:43 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
How far is this property from the gondola? Is there a shuttle? Its not ski-in/ski-out like the Sheraton, which IMHO is the best reason to stay there.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
It is a little less than a mile from the gondola, but it is on the bus shuttle route. The ski in, ski out at the Sheraton is nice, as is sitting at the lobby bar and watching people come down the mountain. The HI has free parking, but it's not in a garage. There is a $15/day parking garage right next to the Sheraton if you need/want to go that route.

It's a little hard to compare the HI and the Sheraton, since they're completely different types of properties. If you're paying for your rooms, the better value is at HI. If it's a reward stay, the location of the Sheraton can't be beat, and you probably won't mind buying your breakfast each day.

TBH
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:38 pm

Angry Steamboat Springs Hampton

While visiting I had special pricing and a reservation. Nothing in writing, Front Desk checked us in honoring the pricing but the guy didn't print off the normal quote. When I went to check out the Asst Manager acknowledged the pricing and that the price had been quoted to us but said because we didn't have the quote from check in he wouldn't be able to honor the price. Appealing to the Manager didn't do anything.

Stupid me for thinking a Hilton branded hotel would honor their word without a paper quote; Particularly when they do acknowlage that they quoted the room lower.

Get everything in writing if you stay there; Better yet, go somewhere else.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol Dan
Get everything in writing
If I had to make a list of "advice for life", I would put that in the top 10, no, make that the top 5.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ski Patrol Dan
While visiting I had special pricing and a reservation. Nothing in writing, Front Desk checked us in honoring the pricing but the guy didn't print off the normal quote.
What price did you initial when you checked in? Otherwise, the hotel cannot charge you anything without your approval upon check out.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
I don't understand - how do you have a reservation without some type of documentation acknowledging the price?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
What price did you initial when you checked in? Otherwise, the hotel cannot charge you anything without your approval upon check out.
I haven't been asked to initial a rate is over a year at Hilton properties.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I haven't been asked to initial a rate is over a year at Hilton properties.
The only time I have ever been asked to initial a rate has been at international properties where they were trying to get me to agree to DCC.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What was the rate on your confirmation? What was the rate on the form at check-in? Who offered you the "special pricing" What was it?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been asked to initial anything in a long time either, but I always carry emails, etc that show what my rate is so I have some proof if they try and change it.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:04 am

Any updates?

The reviews on Tripadvisor mentions that the hotel has an odd layout (with stairs-only access to third floor rooms) and tired, beat-up, and ripped furniture.

Curious if anyone here has similar or different comments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.