Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Worst Hilton Honors Properties in the World

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Worst Hilton Honors Properties in the World

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:04 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
[QUOTE=azoomee]I'm gold level, yet they still charge me for high-speed internet -- front desk wouldn't waive...QUOTE]

Its very standard for hotels to charge for high-speed no matter what your status. If it was not working is another story. If you want free high-speed, you might wish to book rooms at the likes of Garden Inn, Courtyard in the future.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 5M
My worst stays ever - without a doubt: Hilton Heathrow.

I have stopped staying there it's been so bad.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 4:05 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Hilton Leeds City.

It was awful from start to finish which was odd, because the previous years stay had been fine.

I've only had two "substandard" stays in the last five years. Normally, it's fine or there are minor niggles. The other one was Vienna Plaza - but it was no where near as bad as this one.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:22 pm

Programs: Craftsman Tool Club - Silver Socket
Lightbulb Worst Hilton Stay / Best Hilton Stay Without Checking Out

Inspired by the current post regarding worst Hilton stays….

All frequent travelers experience hotel problems now and then. One measure of a great hotel staff is how they handle the service recovery effort after being alerted to the problem. What was the worse thing that ever happed during your Hilton stay and how did the staff turn the coal into a diamond?

Here is my story:
Staying in the Doubletree Suites in Atlanta when I slipped down to the bar for a beer and pub grub while I watched the Monday Night Football game. Sated, I ordered a whiskey to go and made my way to the elevator. Did I mention the thunderstorm outside? Between the 4th and 5th floor the power spiked and elevator stopped . After a rescue that involved ladders, roofs of elevators and greasy cables, the manager who was helping offered to send me another drink up to the room. I gladly accepted. 10 minutes later a TRAY of assorted whiskeys arrived along with a cheese tray . The next night I repeated my dining experience and the manager spotted me and grabbed the bill again! I stay there whenever I have business in Atlanta.

Last edited by nwr1txg; Apr 7, 2004 at 5:24 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 7, 2004, 6:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One hotel in British Columbia (that's as close as I am going to pinpoint it,) I noticed the restaurant manager being very abusive in her interactions with an obviously struggling and demoralized staff (it's my job to notice and analyze these kinds of things - it is my profession.) I wrote up a note for the GM, as it was a weekend and I was heading back to the USA.

I received a lengthy letter thanking me for bringing the issue to his attention. After some judicious observation and investigation, he verified exactly what I had stated, and had carried out "corrective action" (given her the sack.) He also included a very generous letter for a stay in one of their suites. Nice for the resto staff...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 3, 2014 at 9:40 am Reason: typoes
Old Apr 10, 2004, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by RKDuke
My worst stays ever - without a doubt: Hilton Heathrow.

I have stopped staying there it's been so bad.
But boy can you get that hotel cheap on priceline.
Old May 21, 2004, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Exclamation The worst Hilton location.....IN THE WORLD!

I came across possible the worst location for a Hilton anywhere. I live near Newbury, UK and the Newbury North is on the junction between the M4 (London-Bristol highway, three lanes each direction and main east-west route in the country) and A34 (two lane each way highway heading north to south). It was quite bad before but now the junction has been redesigned and so the hotel is now surrounded on all sides by highway traffic!

The hotel is right in the middle of this roundabout as seen in the photo http://www.a34m4.com/images/project_finish.jpg The Hilton is the white patch right in the middle!

More information on the project http://www.a34m4.com/introduction.htm

Last edited by fbgdavidson; May 21, 2004 at 3:58 pm
Old May 22, 2004, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
This could be an interesting debate.

I have had a few Hamptons in prety desolate areas, but yours is hard to beat.
Old May 22, 2004, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
My money is still on the Hilton in Beaumont, TX. Wow, what a dump! It looked completely unchanged since the late 70s and the rooms and hallways reeked of mildew and rot. Ew.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
Where are the worst properties?

Just out of curiosity, and so I'll know which properties to avoid, where are the worst properties, whether they be Hilton, DT, ES , HS, Conrad, or HI? I'll start with the Cypress Creek location of the HI in Fort Lauderdale. Absolutely in need of updating and very small rooms. Also, the Dublin Conrad had very snooty service when I was there.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 5:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The Hampton Inn, Quad Cities Airport/Moline, is horrid
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
Just out of curiosity, and so I'll know which properties to avoid, where are the worst properties, whether they be Hilton, DT, ES , HS, Conrad, or HI? I'll start with the Cypress Creek location of the HI in Fort Lauderdale. Absolutely in need of updating and very small rooms. Also, the Dublin Conrad had very snooty service when I was there.
Only goes to show, I had two very enjoyable stays at the Conrad Dublin and got exceptional service from one of the conciereges there. In addition the front desk did something I have never seen another HH member report as being successful at and that was splitting a GLONP (6 day award) into stays of four and two days with an intervening three day period between the two stays.

mike
Old Jun 20, 2005, 6:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My Teflon protective brain cell screen has come up - but I recall a rather nasty Doubltree Club I stayed in once (with the last couple of years.) I just can't recall where! It was't as bad as the now defunct Doubletree Club Miami, but then again, that was in a class of its own.

WAY later - Livermore, CA. It has been refurbished and rebranded (DoubleTree, iirc).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 3, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 20, 2005, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Hilton Fontainebleau, Miami, which I think just changed flag.

40 minutes to check-in in the Elite line (!). Mandatory valet (fine) but with no way to call ahead (losing 20-25 minutes each time we needed to go out).

The concierge was good though.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire
Chicago Hilton.

I make weekly trips to Chicago and usually stay at the Palmer House (lovely, but that's for another time). For two weeks in a row, I got "stuck" at the Chicago Hilton.
  • Executive rooms that are exactly the same as the standard rooms
  • Super small TVs
  • Dated furnishings and bathroom fixtures (rusty/green "brass")
  • Lame lounge
  • I had four housekeeping issues in four nights (1st stay: Dirty pillow, cobwebs, yellow marker on the sheets, and the kicker, 2nd stay: a toenail under my foot on the bathroom floor). Ew.

The staff was excellent, especially the Executive Floor concierges who went to great lengths to make it up to me. The concessions included significant deductions from my room rate, breakfast in the restaurant and a fruit basket; but I'd much rather have an issue-free stay than any of this stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.