Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Receiving points for the stays of someone else with the same name

Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler

A little over a year ago someone with the same name as me has been using my Hilton #. They have been receiving my Diamond member benefits for their stay while I have been receiving their points. Seems like a Win-Win, unless I am missing something.

This all started with a stay at a Hilton property in London last year when this individual, with the same name as me, was also at the hotel. There was a slight mix up with my Diamond status for the free breakfast, as they thought I was the other guy, but it got quickly cleared up and didn't think much of it thereafter until...

Just after my stay in at this Hilton London property, and the little mix up, I started to receive periodic emails with the receipts and the points for his stays at different Hiltons in various European locations. I never receive any of the booking confirmation or pre-stay welcome emails, which tells me he gives them my Hilton number upon check-in so he gets the Diamond benefits. I only receive the post stay receipts and survey emails, and subsequently the points. I removed my CC card from my Hilton Honors account to make sure my card will never be used by mistake.

I have received over 55k points so far from this serendipitous and symbiotic arrangement. Should I be concerned or continue to be amused and enjoy the extra points?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 10:25 pm

I had this happen to me with a loyalty account once. I didn't really know what to do since I don't have a terribly unique name and had no way to find this person and get them to stop but eventually they noticed. It was many months. They got in touch with customer service for this loyalty program and had the points moved to their account. I saw the debit on my account and called and they told me what happened. I wasn't surprised that it happened I'm not really even sure how they traced what was mine and what was theirs but they did. Of course I could tell which ones were mine because I knew the dates that I'd collected points but I'm not sure how customer service sorted out mine from theirs.

Now this was not Hilton so I'm not sure how it would work if the other person was to notice in this situation, but that's what happened to me. If you're going to collect them, keep in mind that they could disappear. If this guy is giving them your number though, then I guess that would be on purpose unless he actually thinks that's his number.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Now this was not Hilton so I'm not sure how it would work if the other person was to notice in this situation, but that's what happened to me. If you're going to collect them, keep in mind that they could disappear. If this guy is giving them your number though, then I guess that would be on purpose unless he actually thinks that's his number.
I thought about the points being taken back at some point in time I had used nearly all the points in my account (mine and his) for a recent Hilton stay in Paris. I have accumulated some more points since then, but not not nearly what I have received from his stays, so not sure what would happen if Hilton tried to take all his points back?
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
I wonder what issue you would have if stays start to overlap, so he checks in to a hotel somewhere and you at the same time somewhere else.
iskingolf and craigthemif like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The travel hacker in me does think that this is a win-win situation. Good idea to remove your CC details from your Hilton account.

The only thing I would mention is that Hilton is perhaps the most aggressive hotel chain at closing down loyalty accounts for perceived misdeeds. (such as complaining about bad hotel stays) It's easily imaginable that somebody will "audit" your account and take the view that you are breaking the rules by letting your doppelganger use your Diamond benefits. The problem with that is that the Honors account police aren't open to being reasoned with...
Grey Nomad likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 3:51 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
The risk surely is you try and stay in two completely different places on the same night, at which point the computer may (I'm guessing) flag your account, especially if that happens more than once. I think you are right to use the points up just in case. Presumably this guy's nights are helping you towards extra diamond nights (or rollover nights for next year) as well as towards the bonus point thresholds? My only worry would be that if my account was closed down, I wouldn't have my Honors status any more which I've received good value from.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The travel hacker in me does think that this is a win-win situation. Good idea to remove your CC details from your Hilton account.

The only thing I would mention is that Hilton is perhaps the most aggressive hotel chain at closing down loyalty accounts for perceived misdeeds. (such as complaining about bad hotel stays) It's easily imaginable that somebody will "audit" your account and take the view that you are breaking the rules by letting your doppelganger use your Diamond benefits. The problem with that is that the Honors account police aren't open to being reasoned with...
It does seem like a win-win to me but yes Hilton are pretty good at closing down accounts. I hope the OP is not using his real full name as his FT handle.
CaliforniaMom and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 5:46 am
soy

Programs: various
Probably the easiest way out of this would be to create a new account, then combine your accounts (can do it online) which essentially gives you a new account # that the other person will not know.
If you contact Hilton, you could lose the points you already accumulated or worse they shut you down, and if you wait you run the risk Hilton discover this themselves and then shut you down.

Last edited by soy; Oct 20, 2023 at 8:30 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I routinely have stays in 2 different properties on the same night, with one an award where the individual I have gifted it to is named as an additional guest, and one i am staying in (paid or award.) I have never been flagged. YMMV.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
It's a win-win until it isn't and "Hilton has poor customer service."

What happens if this person redeems the points? Will you be ok with it?
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:46 am

Allowing another individual to impersonate the guest is abuse of the program in the eyes of Hilton. Even though OP has not met the other individual, it is now a scheme of which they are aware and in which they are complicit. If the OP doesn't move to shut this down, Hilton probably eventually will.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the short term it can be perceived as a win-win and you are benefitting point an stay wise from their activity. But It could very well come back to bite you in the rear in the long run. Don't know how close you are to lifetime Diamond but t would really suck if you thought you were going to make it then have your account flagged and closed for fraud. Not worth it in my opinion, too much potential downside. And remember, there is a Hilton person in this forum, if they see this and have any possible way to tie your username to your account it would probably not end well for you. Don't know if they actively look for this kind of stuff but this thread makes it rather blatant you are not following the rules.
SPN Lifer and Grey Nomad like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:50 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Presumably the interloper doesn't have access to your account, so they wouldn't be able to use the points.

Can you see the stays as they get booked or does the Honors number only get added when they check in? As if they don't book directly the stay wouldn't qualify for points anyway, unless it's through some corporate portal?

If your real address is in the profile, presumably it gets printed on receipts and the other person gets to see it.

As Hilton accounts don't store ID, unless you have a Hilton credit card or you care about lifetime status, I would just let this "arrangement" continue and make a new account if something goes wrong.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Presumably the interloper doesn't have access to your account, so they wouldn't be able to use the points.

Can you see the stays as they get booked or does the Honors number only get added when they check in? As if they don't book directly the stay wouldn't qualify for points anyway, unless it's through some corporate portal?

If your real address is in the profile, presumably it gets printed on receipts and the other person gets to see it.

As Hilton accounts don't store ID, unless you have a Hilton credit card or you care about lifetime status, I would just let this "arrangement" continue and make a new account if something goes wrong.
The other individual has access to my account, only has my Hilton Honor #. His hotel stays are never booked with my number as I never see his stays ahead of time, or even during the stay. I only see the stays when I get an email with the receipt, after the fact. The receipts always has his address, not mine.

The staff at the Hilton Hotel actually caused this issue when they somehow got us mixed up and initially denied me and my wife the free breakfast when they thought I was the other guy with the same name. I am guessing, but don't know for sure, the other guy somehow ended up with my Honors# as part of this mix up, although his stay that particular time did not get credited to my account, only subsequent stays.

It's a weird situation for sure. I not sure how to fix it unless I have Hilton assign me a new Honors #.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Super Mario
It's a win-win until it isn't and "Hilton has poor customer service."

What happens if this person redeems the points? Will you be ok with it?
The other person knows OP's account number, presumably not OP's password or other access information, so spending the points isn't feasible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.