Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points don’t expire with status?

Old Sep 13, 23, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Currently gold, was expecting my points to expire due to inactivity after 24 months; however, the hilton chat bot tells me my points won’t expire due to my status.

I can’t find this as a published benefit, is this truly the case?

Last edited by FlySkyHigh; Sep 13, 23 at 12:52 pm
Old Sep 13, 23, 12:09 pm

Find someone on FT in need of points and transfer it to them, better than them just expiring unused.
Old Sep 13, 23, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh
Currently gold, was expecting my points to expire due to inactivity after 24 months; however, the hilton chat bot tells me my points won’t expire due to my status.

I can’t find this as a published benefit, is this truly the case?
It is rather hard to remain a Gold member without any account activity for 24 months. Credit card in a sock drawer I suppose.

But by the same token, it must be ridiculously easy to use that sock drawer credit card to earn a couple of points and remain active. Put your Netflix subscription or something on it...

I do believe that points expire after 24 months, regardless of elite status level.

Do my Points expire?

Hilton Honors Points expire after 24 consecutive months of inactivity.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It is rather hard to remain a Gold member without any account activity for 24 months. Credit card in a sock drawer I suppose.

But by the same token, it must be ridiculously easy to use that sock drawer credit card to earn a couple of points and remain active. Put your Netflix subscription or something on it...

I do believe that points expire after 24 months, regardless of elite status level.
Amex Platinum provides gold status, and earns MR, so purchases won't help extend. I spoke with a Hilton agent who also confirmed that points won't expire with Gold. Wondering if anyone can validate this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 1:45 pm

Points expiration was temporarily paused during the pandemic in (if I remember well) 2021 and 2022. That is no longer the case and as noted above they will expire after 24 consecutive months of no activity. The 24-month time period was actually introduced in 2023 - before that it was 15 months.

For reference: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...policy-changes

Points Expiration Policy

What is the Point Expiration Policy?
We have extended the amount of time required to keep your Hilton Honors account active from 15 to 24 months. Members must keep their Hilton Honors account active in order to keep their Hilton Honors Points. Under the new policy, if your account is inactive for 24 consecutive months, your total Point balance will expire.

Points Expiration Activity
Keep your Hilton Honors account active to avoid your Points expiring: simply stay at any hotel in the Hilton Portfolio, earn points with a Hilton Honors credit card, earn or redeem Points with any Hilton Honors partner, buy Points or donate Points, or register for a Hilton Honors promotion.
DiverDave and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by MichaelA380; Sep 13, 23 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 13, 23, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Originally Posted by MichaelA380
Points expiration was temporarily paused during the pandemic in (if I remember well) 2021 and 2022. That is no longer the case and as noted above they will expire after 24 consecutive months of no activity. The 24-month time period was actually introduced in 2023 - before that it was 15 months.

Thanks, I'm wondering why the chat bot and the Hilton agent contradict this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 2:08 pm

Get a live agent and ask for an official Hilton source as confirmation.
Old Sep 13, 23, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlySkyHigh
Thanks, I'm wondering why the chat bot and the Hilton agent contradict this.
Get a live agent and ask for an official Hilton source as confirmation.
I would just pay $10 to buy 1,000 points (or $50 for 10,000 points) instead of wasting my time contacting Hilton repeatedly or taking my chances.
Old Sep 13, 23, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hilton website does not use the term expire. Here is what the terms and conditions say.

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period: (a) stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein; (b) earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms; (c) purchase Hilton Honors Points; or, (d) donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Failure to take action (a), (b), (c) or (d) described above will result in the forfeiture of all accumulated Points and, after five years of inactivity, to deactivation of the Member's account. Once the Points have been forfeited, the Member may not retrieve any forfeited Points but Member may begin to earn Points again thereafter. Any Reward redeemed by the Member before the Points are forfeited (such as a hotel reservation made or a car rental voucher obtained) is still valid. This applies to any year of enrollment, including without limitation, the first year of enrollment. Members who fail to pay mortgage related payments properly due and owed to Hilton Grand Vacations®, including but not limited to principal payments, interest payments, late fees, and service fees are subject to forfeiture of Points equal to the amount of Points accumulated in connection with Hilton Grand Vacations®. Further, Members who fail to pay amounts due to Hilton Grand Vacations® are subject to forfeiture of any Elite tier status earned through Hilton Grand Vacations®.
Old Sep 13, 23, 5:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold

Was on the site earlier today and still saw a reference to 15 months on this page: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/guest/points/

I'd have thought they'd change that graphic by now, seeing how they really don't have all that many pages to their website.

Old Sep 15, 23, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
If you live in the U.S., use a no-annual-fee Hilton AmEx card to buy gasoline once a year.

I use mine for all my gas, so I don't need to calendar it.
Old Oct 17, 23, 10:23 am

I ran into this recently and according to Hilton signing up for a promo counts as activity that will keep your points alive. Both chatbot and the rep I got onto chat with confirm my points won't expire for another 24 months, and the rep confirmed that my qualifying "activity" was signing up for the 3x Fall promo going on. I haven't stayed in a Hilton or earned any points in over a year or even logged into my account since last December, but they both tell me my points won't expire until October 2025 (minus one day now) from now after I signed up for the promo yesterday. So maybe that is what is keeping it alive.
Old Oct 18, 23, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
hmm... I seriously doubt signing up for a promo will count as an account activity and prevent points from expiring (if only it was that easy). But admittedly no first hand experience so I might be wrong.

I would be really nice if we could have more data points on this (as I wish extending points is that easy).
Old Oct 19, 23, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BananaFusion
I ran into this recently and according to Hilton signing up for a promo counts as activity that will keep your points alive. Both chatbot and the rep I got onto chat with confirm my points won't expire for another 24 months, and the rep confirmed that my qualifying "activity" was signing up for the 3x Fall promo going on. I haven't stayed in a Hilton or earned any points in over a year or even logged into my account since last December, but they both tell me my points won't expire until October 2025 (minus one day now) from now after I signed up for the promo yesterday. So maybe that is what is keeping it alive.
I was initially going to reply with "no f-ing way", but actually I found this little gem on the Hilton website... https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/support-faq/
Points Expiration Activity

Keep your Hilton Honors account active to avoid your Points expiring: simply stay at any hotel in the Hilton Portfolio, earn points with a Hilton Honors credit card, earn or redeem Points with any Hilton Honors partner, buy Points or donate Points, or register for a Hilton Honors promotion.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
hmm... I seriously doubt signing up for a promo will count as an account activity and prevent points from expiring (if only it was that easy). But admittedly no first hand experience so I might be wrong.

I would be really nice if we could have more data points on this (as I wish extending points is that easy).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 20, 23, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly in the Hilton App it states in the account page as a lifetime diamond no expiration and no requalification required.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.