Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton cancelled but no points return

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

My husband and I reserved a Hampton Inn earlier this week using 30,000 points. We checked in around 4 pm and turned out our lights around 9 pm to go to sleep because we had to get up very early (3-4 am) to start driving to beat the path of hurricane Ian.

Unfortunately, between the blasting radio in the adjacent room, other loud guests including a screaming child running up and down the corridor and an arguing couple, and a very loud rickety A/C, by 10:30 pm we knew we would never get to sleep so decided to leave. The desk clerk was apologetic and asked if we wanted to move to another room when we came to the lobby fully packed to check out, but we knew that it was unlikely to help our upcoming journey to try to settle into another room and get to sleep for a few hours so we declined. I asked if it was possible to get any points refunded but she said that was out of her authority and she'd leave a note for the manager.

When I logged into my Hilton account after returning home, I could see that my point balance has not changed, but this particular stay is showing as "cancelled." There is no record of the 30,000 point redemption in the activity list, but my balance is the amount after the 30,000 was withdrawn (when I booked the room, I saw that my balance was 527k points and it dropped to 497k after making the reservation where it still sits).

First, while I would like the entire 30,000 points returned, do others think this is reasonable? Is any refund of points reasonable? If a hotel cannot provide a quiet environment for a night's sleep, it's not a lot of use for us. Not that it should matter, but I'm Hilton Diamond.

Second, if points were not going to be refunded, why would the manager have made a point of listing the stay as "cancelled" since we did check in / check out? If I'm not getting any points refunded, shouldn't the stay remain on record in my account activity, especially since the points were withdrawn?
Old Oct 2, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Does Hampton still have the 100% satisfaction guarantee?

https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/02/15/...ton-guarantee/

I would argue that a quiet room is a baseline requirement for a hotel.
SusanDK likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:19 am

If a person no shows does it show as canceled as well?

You left without getting a confirmation from the hotel of the refund, so you left knowing there was a chance you might not get it. Without the confirmation hard to argue you deserve one.

While I agree they didn't fulfill their end of the bargain, it doesnt sound like you know what the manager was told
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schnit
If a person no shows does it show as canceled as well?

You left without getting a confirmation from the hotel of the refund, so you left knowing there was a chance you might not get it. Without the confirmation hard to argue you deserve one.

While I agree they didn't fulfill their end of the bargain, it doesnt sound like you know what the manager was told
We weren't no-shows, we checked in.

Of course, I didn't get a "confirmation of refund" since the reception clerk was clear that she could not provide one nor guarantee whether one would be provided. Yes we left knowing there was a chance we might not get it, and I'm not arguing I deserve one, only that I would like one, if possible. My post actually asks the community if they think any return of points is reasonable to expect. We were polite when leaving and weren't going to be asses and demand a confirmation that could not be given.

But all's well that ends well. This morning when I checked my account, the 30,000 points were returned.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
We weren't no-shows, we checked in.
I didnt say you were a no show, I asked what the system shows. I was trying to determine if the manager was never informed and maybe someone else flagged you wrong.

Glad you got the points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.