Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Would you expect some type of compensation if you couldn't check into your room?

Would you expect some type of compensation if you couldn't check into your room?

Old Sep 22, 22, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I booked a Double Tree for 4 nights. The flight I was on got stuck circling the airport due to the storm resulting in the flight not landing until 12:30am. I get to the Double Tree at 1:45am and there is not single person working there. Called the place, went behind the counter, nobody! Hung out there for about 45 minutes and I couldn't check-in with the App because they probably marked me as absent. So I wound up finding a Hampton Inn across Chicago, and drove 30 minutes there for the night finally got into a room at 3:30am just for the 1 night (checking out at 7:30am) and went back to the Double Tree for the remaining 3 nights.

So the next day, I wrote to Hilton Honors about the situation, and they said they would refer to the business and they will respond back in 3 days. Never heard anything back, but I did see that they charged me for a no-show a few days later. So I called and complained about the situation, and they said the hotel will not reverse the charge and corporate would reimburse me personally by check. A bit annoying since it was on my Corporate Card, but about 30 days later I received a check in the mail for the reimbursement.

Anyway, I would assume that Hilton would give some sympathy and provide points for this annoyance. Never received anything. I'm also a Diamond Member if that even has pull. Would you have expected anything?

Last edited by dfresh713; Sep 22, 22 at 5:03 pm
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Which hotel?
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Did you take this up with the DT directly? That is where the service failure was.
DJ_Iceman and wrldwide1 like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Did you check in via the app previously or at 1 am? If I was a betting man, you checked in outside of the hotel's check-in times. I'd say you're lucky to have been reimbursed for the first night.
Old Yesterday, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not really. You got your money back from a lame hotel.

David
Old Yesterday, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK
your points seem a trivial matter compared with the idea of a full-service Chicago hotel open to access from the street, but with no human presence beyond the innocent souls asleep in their bedrooms.
Old Yesterday, 8:22 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Night auditor was running the overnight audit when you got there. Still they are supposed to be paying attention to what is going on in the lobby during that time. Be happy you got the first night refunded by Hilton, if you didn't have status you probably wouldn't have gotten that. Learn the lesson, check in on the app before midnight and call the hotel to verify you are still coming so they don't sell your room and mark you as a no show. Honestly somewhat surprised they honored the rest of the reservation since you no-showed the first night.
wrp96 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Yesterday, 8:45 am

Yep, I would have checked in before I left if I was on a late flight and if the delay was unexpected, I would have paid for some plane wi-fi just to save myself the hassle. Check in and walk right to my room with digital key when I arrived.

But I agree with the other comment above. Amazing that this hotel was wide open. Anyone need some furniture or decor? If anything from the DT lobby strikes your fancy... lol
Old Yesterday, 9:46 am

Stuff happens when you travel...look at this as a learning opportunity and move on, IMO.
Old Yesterday, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
I would have called the 800 reservations line for Hilton within a few minutes of arrival with no one there. Actually my true crime watching self would envision the night auditor dead in a back office and I might have even called the police after 10-15 minutes.

I'm guessing the auditor wasn't running the audit, but had fallen asleep while doing so.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; UA/*A
Some while back I had a reservation at a Hilton near SNA and because of a mechanical issue the inbound flight missed the SNA curfew so we landed at LAX and had buses to SNA. I didn’t check in until around 5am. When I arrived there was no problem. After reading FT, I learned that the room could have been resold as a no-show and my entire 5-night stay cancelled. Now if there is any chance of being late I call the hotel directly and “confirm” my reservation and arrival time, just in case.
Annerk likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:05 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by dfresh713 View Post
I booked a Double Tree for 4 nights. The flight I was on got stuck circling the airport due to the storm resulting in the flight not landing until 12:30am. I get to the Double Tree at 1:45am and there is not single person working there. Called the place, went behind the counter, nobody! Hung out there for about 45 minutes and I couldn't check-in with the App because they probably marked me as absent. So I wound up finding a Hampton Inn across Chicago, and drove 30 minutes there for the night finally got into a room at 3:30am just for the 1 night (checking out at 7:30am) and went back to the Double Tree for the remaining 3 nights.
I would have been horrified and irate if this had happened to me. You say you returned to the hotel for 3 of your 4 nights. Did you seek out the GM and discuss this with him/her? That would have been the appropriate time to seek an apology, a rebate of the first night and covering the cost of the hotel where you stayed. I would have presented this as a forced walk and expected action from the GM.
Old Today, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I would have been horrified and irate if this had happened to me.
Yeah, seriously! I thought hotels are supposed to be open 24 hours? If I had experienced what the OP had, I'd probably thought I was somehow in an episode of the Twilight Zone or something.
Old Today, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS G75k, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
Yeah, seriously! I thought hotels are supposed to be open 24 hours?
They were open. Just no one guarding the front desk.

I probably would have called the 800 number and/or the police if I thought there was a chance of some sort of emergency (could even be medical issue).

In the olden days I might have just checked myself in by grabbing one of the room keys from the board behind the front desk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Today, 10:11 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
This scenario is to some extent a little bit common but where the failure comes in is where a phone call did not make it so the staff woke up. Also the front door should have been locked in my opinion but at some point someone else would have either come or gone and if someone wanted to get in they could have.

I am surprised OP did not confront the manager upon returning to the hotel for the remainder of their stay. I am also surprised OP did not arrange not being charged for the room upon returning to the hotel for the remainder of the stay. This sounds like a hotel with some serious security, service, and communication problems to not pro-actively resolve the matter with OP. OP shouldn't have even had to ask once giving the reason why they did not stay the first night. If anything the hotel owed him a night comp for his trouble.

Search this Thread