Wiki Posts
Search

Maintaining Status confusion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow, what a disincentive.

Might as well work on the IHG status challenge this year then.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

It is only a "disincentive" if your main focus is earning status rather than enjoying the benefits of the status you have already achieved...
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ghoulish

Might as well work on the IHG status challenge this year then.

Thanks for the clarification.
Hilton normally rolls over excess nights; rolling over all of them was a one-time thing. IHG also rolls over excess, and Marriott doesn't roll over at all. So it's hard to see this as a "disincentive" in general.

That said, if you don't expect the roll-over nights to make a difference in what you earn next year, then doing what you propose -- spend the nights needed for an IHG Diamond status challenge at the expense of "excess" Hilton nights -- isn't a bad idea. As it happens, I'm doing it myself.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
now I don't feel so bad that I dont understand this also

I had 60 rollover nights from 2021
I have 52 nights so far in 2020
total: 112

I "assume" this means I have Diamond for 2023 until MAR 2024, but how much longer?
.... other than the benefits of Diamond (yeah, right???) is there any reason to rack up more nights this year?

-m
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mfirst
now I don't feel so bad that I dont understand this also

I had 60 rollover nights from 2021
I have 52 nights so far in 2020
total: 112

I "assume" this means I have Diamond for 2023 until MAR 2024, but how much longer?
.... other than the benefits of Diamond (yeah, right???) is there any reason to rack up more nights this year?

-m
You have earned diamond already this year and you will have diamond until 31MAR24. Currently you will have 10 nights rollover to 2023, starting you on your way to earning status during calendar year 2023. Your rollover nights from 2021 do not rollover again. Only nights in excess of the 2022 diamond requirement of 42 nights that are received from stays in 2022 can rollover.
52 Your nights in 2022
- 42 Nights needed to qualify for Diamond in 2022
= 10 Nights that carry over to 2023.

If you stay additional nights this year you will earn additional nights to rollover into 2023. Hilton has not announced if there will still be reduced requirements in 2023 or if they will revert to the normal 60 nights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.