Taking Items from Lounges?

Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It isn't stealing from the lounge. It is violating the lounge policy.

Now, it does seem like a bunch of bull poopoodoodookaka for a bottle of water, or a partially consumed beverage, but I can (generally) understand the policy, even if I don't like it. (In the case of local laws where a liquor license might restrict consumption of what is served in the lounge premises to the lounge premises, I can understand strict enforcement.)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
I fly United and I have never been stopped for grabbing bags of snacks from the lounge. The hotel lounges are a little different with signs asking that you not take items out but everyone does. Complaining about a bottle of water is pretty petty.
I have asked before at United lounges and they have told me packaged snacks I am welcome to take extra, they said take what you think you will reasonably consume on the flight.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I got yelled at for taking a bottle of seltzer to my room from a Crowne Plaza lounge (TLV). So yeah this seems to be a thing, but I've never been told "no" when I've asked if it's OK to take a glass of wine up I'd bought at the bar.

Earlier that week, the same lounge dragon offered me a nearly-full bottle of wine when they were closing for the night. I took it, of course.
Don't take the name of THE one and only TRUE DRAGON in vain!

As someone on Flyertalk...you should know better!

https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics...is-drake-facts

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6c1k71
The english dragon

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jul 20, 2022 at 10:22 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Bring your own water bottle, then pour the contents of the PLASTIC water bottle into your metal (or glass) one.

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jul 20, 2022 at 10:48 am
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Bring your own water bottle, then pour the contents of the PLASTIC water bottle into your metal (or glass) one.
You must have missed the "NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR BEVERAGE OR CONTAINERS ALLOWED INSIDE" sign on the door
cruisr, TTL, _kurt and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Schnit
In general, asking will get you much further than just doing.

At check in I would probably ask the front desk if its a problem due to mobility issues (they can see and confirm it). Then when your spouse goes to the lounge, if its questioned, you can just say XXXX at the FD confirmed it wont be a problem.
Well the last few years, I’ve arrived at the hotel in a wheelchair. We have stayed hundreds of nights at the property since they opened 8 years ago.

We certainly ask for anything out of the norm. The evening lounge has an age limit of 12, which my daughter is under by a couple of years. She looks about 13, but we don’t try and stretch the truth. Times that my wife is out, I’ve had my daughter help me in the lounge, without any problem.

I’ve found that most properties are pretty helpful in Asia. We haven’t done any stays in Europe for 4-5 years. Service levels in the US and Asia are very different.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I always thought that the point of a lounge was to provide food and drink to eligible guests. Particularly as COVID is not over, they should welcome guests taking items to go and enjoying those items in their rooms!
noralawrence likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
I always thought that the point of a lounge was to provide food and drink to eligible guests. Particularly as COVID is not over, they should welcome guests taking items to go and enjoying those items in their rooms!
Since COVID started I no longer take my kids to free breakfast buffets at hotels. I bring our kids wagon down, explain to the person working that there are 6 of us and fill up with enough food for everyone. This obviously is a lot of stuff and no one has ever questioned me.

I imagine if you took the same approach at a lounge they would not have an issue
Buster CT1K and rt23456p like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Accor Gold
This sounds like something that would happen in Germany not the UK. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, I have stayed at this hotel and I would chalk it up to a new employee.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Slightly related,

I came into the lounge this morning and opened the door for a man whose hands were a bit full as he was leaving the lounge.....with 4 bottles of water.

Slightly off-topic....but I'm at the London Hilton on Park Lane today. They don't have water bottles but have a water dispenser. I brought an empty bottle planning to fill it (is this stealing?) but the agent kicked me out because the lounge is "closed". Hours aren't posted anywhere that I can see and it's only 10:15 PM. Not really sure why these lounges close at all....or why there is an agent working here if the lounge is closed...or why my key let me in if the lounge is closed.

Last edited by catbox9; Jul 21, 2022 at 2:38 am Reason: Clarified Hotel
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by catbox9

but I'm at the Hilton Park Hyatt today.
Where?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by SFOtoTYO
This sounds like something that would happen in Germany not the UK. I don’t think it’s unreasonable, I have stayed at this hotel and I would chalk it up to a new employee.
Happened to me at the Hilton Berlin where I wanted to take a bottle of apple juice to my wife, who was too ill to come to the EL. I asked the lounge attendant, and when I explained and she refused, I asked her to provide directions to the nearest convenience store. She became somewhat embarrassed, and relented, saying that some guests abuse the consumption only in the lounge policy. Every time I enter the EL on subsequent visits to the hotel, that memory still lingers.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Where?
LOL! London Hilton on Park Lane. I must've been half asleep.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:22 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
In my opinion, who is not able to read the lounge rules and obey them, should not visit the _executive_ lounges. Be it a bottle of water or any other item stolen from the _executive_ lounges. Deterioration of _executive_ lounges in the US evidently has something to do with the penny pincher not so executive loungers. And I hope that Europe and Asia will be saved from that. Also enforcing tight _executive_ lounge entry rules and looking after the behaviour of the _executive_ lounge guests.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TTL
In my opinion, who is not able to read the lounge rules and obey them, should not visit the _executive_ lounges. Be it a bottle of water or any other item stolen from the _executive_ lounges. Deterioration of _executive_ lounges in the US evidently has something to do with the penny pincher not so executive loungers. And I hope that Europe and Asia will be saved from that. Also enforcing tight _executive_ lounge entry rules and looking after the behaviour of the _executive_ lounge guests.
Most US lounges were never 'all that." Some of the non-US lounges are decent enough to have a couple of enjoyable and substantial meals a day, along with evening complimentary liquor pour. Most US lounges with evening snacks serve things that come out of 50lb Sysco bags that go from freezer to oven to steam table tray, to be met by chanchos at the trough who act as they've just been released from the gulag.

As far as reading and obeying the rules, I'll give you that, if they're printed in a language that the guest is able to read and comprehend
SPN Lifer, 7Continents and TTL like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.