Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Cancelling reservation violating cancellation rules within 24 hours of booking

Cancelling reservation violating cancellation rules within 24 hours of booking

Old Jun 28, 22, 11:47 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 775
Cancelling reservation violating cancellation rules within 24 hours of booking

Today I made a mistake by booking a reservation at Waldorf Astoria Maldives with points. I was supposed to look at December dates. But I made a stupid mistake on the month. I made the reservation for July instead of December and it is already within 30 days (yes that is stupid I did not proofread the details...). I only discovered this before bed but it is still within 24 hours. I have already contacted the twitter team in this case. But does anyone have any experience in cancelling the reservation in such a case?
zig2 is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 654
If you call Hilton Reservations, usually they will reach out to the hotel directly and ask for a waiver to process cancellation
khkchan is offline  
Old Jun 29, 22, 2:46 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 775
Originally Posted by khkchan View Post
If you call Hilton Reservations, usually they will reach out to the hotel directly and ask for a waiver to process cancellation
Called reservations and they cancelled it without a problem. The twitter team is too slow.
GUWonder and SanDiego1K like this.
zig2 is offline  
Old Jun 30, 22, 12:28 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 212
I've always called the front desk. Told them I'm a stupid old man. (The front desk girls love that.)
No issues with cancellations.
GUWonder likes this.
hotscot is online now  
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:16 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Posts: 10,693
I don't think hotel reservations have the within 24 hours of booking thing like airline reservations do. At least I've never heard of that in my many, many years of traveling.
Baze is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 4:36 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 98,673
Originally Posted by zig2 View Post
Today I made a mistake by booking a reservation at Waldorf Astoria Maldives with points. I was supposed to look at December dates. But I made a stupid mistake on the month. I made the reservation for July instead of December and it is already within 30 days (yes that is stupid I did not proofread the details...). I only discovered this before bed but it is still within 24 hours. I have already contacted the twitter team in this case. But does anyone have any experience in cancelling the reservation in such a case?
If a hotel or agent is reluctant to cut the customer a break, then this can be tried: modifying the reservation to get a date change done (with a new check-in date some date 31+ days out), so as to then be able to get a reservation cancelled without penalty.
SanDiego1K likes this.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Jul 1, 22, 5:40 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by zig2 View Post
Called reservations and they cancelled it without a problem. The twitter team is too slow.
You are able to cancel it without any problem.
vnfilm1 is offline  
Old Jul 2, 22, 8:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: HH D; IHGR P; MB m
Posts: 1,338
Originally Posted by Baze View Post
I don't think hotel reservations have the within 24 hours of booking thing like airline reservations do. At least I've never heard of that in my many, many years of traveling.
When I book a non refundable rate with Marriott (which is not very often), the last couple of years it says something like:

Prepay Non-refundable, changes up to 4 days prior to stay, prepay in full, non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

SPN Lifer likes this.
Sisosig is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread