Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

History of Hampton Inn Benefits since MyWay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

History of Hampton Inn Benefits since MyWay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess they prefer you to take the points cos they cost the hotel max $1.25.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hugolover
I guess they prefer you to take the points cos they cost the hotel max $1.25.
The water and the snack don't cost that much.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be less. For example I seem to remember HGI is $3 and yet based on 0.5c that would be $3.75

Edit: Plus, hotels see it as lost revenue, not a cost. I don't believe they sell a bottle of water and a snack for less than $1.25.

Last edited by hugolover; Jun 15, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
The snack and water always cost less than the points. The water bottle and snack are coded to the property's HH expense. As an example, the property I work at can buy a case of water for ten cents a bottle and the snacks can range from forty-five to eighty cents each. This will vary depending on where you source your product from, i.e. Vistar-Sysco-The Restaurant Store.
SPN Lifer and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Might be less. For example I seem to remember HGI is $3 and yet based on 0.5c that would be $3.75

Edit: Plus, hotels see it as lost revenue, not a cost. I don't believe they sell a bottle of water and a snack for less than $1.25.
I don't understand the unedited portion of this response.
You were the one who suggested that hotels prefer to give points because they cost less than water/snack.
​​​​​I don't see any reason a property would assume that a customer who takes points will then buy a bottle of water and a snack. Many Hamptons don't even offer the water/snack they give for sale.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve never stayed in a HbH across the pond because they’re awful, I was answering to those wondering why some properties might prefer to give points.

Why would a property be reluctant to give the snack when it costs then less?

In Europe, where things are to a higher standard, it’s always a drink and a snack. I’ve never been limited to only water. In fact in many markets water is in the room for free for all guests.

The cost of the drink and snack is likely higher than the points.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Gosh. I'm always surprised when I'm asked about points/water. And honestly, I no longer try to figure out the rule(s) based on which property offers what. If my Diamond Lifetime membership has any weight (and not sure it does anymore), my priority is always a high floor, away from the elevator, and lots of natural light. Everything else? Meh. Do I care if the room overlooks the parking lot or a dumpster? Nope. As long it has windows to bring in lots of light, I'm good. Upgrade? Yeah, right, that used to happen 20 yrs. ago. :-) Now? Never. It's better to request/pay for the "better" room than depend upon a phantom upgrade.

Back to the water: Apologies to the desk attendants, but it's a game I play when it comes to the "bottled" water they provide at the HI, HGIs, etc.

Fade In
Interior: Front Desk, Hampton Inn, Anywhere, USA; chilly fall evening (1830 hr)

Me: Is it spring water?
Attendant (looks confused): Yes.
Me: If it's Aquafina or Dasani or Nestles, it's puried/distilled local tap water.
Attendant: It's bottled water.
Me: Bottled water doesn't make it spring water.
Attendant (as s/he is looking at the bottle): Where does it say that?
Me (pointing): See where it says "distilled water?"
Attendant: Oh. I never knew that.
Me: Most people don't.

On a rare occassion, they'll actually have spring water, but that's few and far between. Now, with the advent of filling stations (at the airport and in gyms), I travel with the resusable water bottle. I don't drink alcohol at all so it's about water and water for tea.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Gosh. I'm always surprised when I'm asked about points/water. And honestly, I no longer try to figure out the rule(s) based on which property offers what. If my Diamond Lifetime membership has any weight (and not sure it does anymore), my priority is always a high floor, away from the elevator, and lots of natural light. Everything else? Meh. Do I care if the room overlooks the parking lot or a dumpster? Nope. As long it has windows to bring in lots of light, I'm good. Upgrade? Yeah, right, that used to happen 20 yrs. ago. :-) Now? Never. It's better to request/pay for the "better" room than depend upon a phantom upgrade.

Back to the water: Apologies to the desk attendants, but it's a game I play when it comes to the "bottled" water they provide at the HI, HGIs, etc.

Fade In
Interior: Front Desk, Hampton Inn, Anywhere, USA; chilly fall evening (1830 hr)

Me: Is it spring water?
Attendant (looks confused): Yes.
Me: If it's Aquafina or Dasani or Nestles, it's puried/distilled local tap water.
Attendant: It's bottled water.
Me: Bottled water doesn't make it spring water.
Attendant (as s/he is looking at the bottle): Where does it say that?
Me (pointing): See where it says "distilled water?"
Attendant: Oh. I never knew that.
Me: Most people don't.

On a rare occassion, they'll actually have spring water, but that's few and far between. Now, with the advent of filling stations (at the airport and in gyms), I travel with the resusable water bottle. I don't drink alcohol at all so it's about water and water for tea.
This is a really arrogant stunt to pull on FD staff.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A Hampton got it right!

Checked in to the H.I. Mobile I-10/Bellingrath Gardens. Surprise: agent presented me with two chilled bottles of water and two packets of Lorna Doon cookies. I congratulated her for actually doing the My Way benefit correctly. Not only that: the rate was incorrect (this was a PMG booking) and just by showing her my confirmation email, she manually changed the rate in about 30 seconds. Without argument, or "you'll have to talk to the manager tomorrow." WAY better to get that fixed BEFORE room/tax is run tonight. Management NEVER wants to have to adjust a rate after the fact.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip
A Hampton got it right!

Checked in to the H.I. Mobile I-10/Bellingrath Gardens. Surprise: agent presented me with two chilled bottles of water and two packets of Lorna Doon cookies. I congratulated her for actually doing the My Way benefit correctly. Not only that: the rate was incorrect (this was a PMG booking) and just by showing her my confirmation email, she manually changed the rate in about 30 seconds. Without argument, or "you'll have to talk to the manager tomorrow." WAY better to get that fixed BEFORE room/tax is run tonight. Management NEVER wants to have to adjust a rate after the fact.
Doesn't sound correct - the benefit at Hampton is one drink and one snack.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by hotturnip
A Hampton got it right!

As another poster mentioned, no, the agent did not do the benefit correctly. They gave you more than you are entitled to. Also note that at a lot of properties, desk agents are not empowered to change/adjust rates without mangement approval/intervention.

I’ve never stayed in a HbH across the pond because they’re awful, I was answering to those wondering why some properties might prefer to give points.

Why would a property be reluctant to give the snack when it costs then less?

In Europe, where things are to a higher standard, it’s always a drink and a snack. I’ve never been limited to only water. In fact in many markets water is in the room for free for all guests.

The cost of the drink and snack is likely higher than the points.
While I have no idea what Hampton properties do/do not do in Europe, again, in the US unless the property is overspending on their snack choices, the points always cost more. Anything to the contrary is wrong.

Why are drinks/snacks not given out? Pick your reason:

Poor to non-existant training of HH benefits, no accountability and/or oversight of desk agents plus ongoing resistance to ordering controllables versus points that are automatic. All of the above apply.
SPN Lifer and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you post how much the 250 points cost? I'm fairly sure HGI was $3, so is it $1?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
Doesn't sound correct - the benefit at Hampton is one drink and one snack.
Well . . . good lord.
Don't be a spoilsport.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 6:44 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Since this has strayed far from the original topic -- and the op's question has been answered -- it's time to close.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Hilton forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.