Search

Will this upgrade tactic work?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Will this upgrade tactic work?

Group-
I'm trying to book the Moab Curio for 4 nights in the first week in June and it appears that standard rooms as well as Suites with Kings and Suites with 2 Queens are all available.

I need a suite since there are 2 Adults and our 17 year old daughter, but the King Suite is 175,000 per night, while the standard room is 80,000 per night.

I cant use the buy 4 get one free, since I only have 4 nights in Moab and 3 nights in Vegas allocated, so this is what my plan is:

Book the 4 nights (without the bonus night) of the regular room (320,000 points)
Book the 4 nights (same nights) for the Suite (700,000 points)

If they give me the upgrade, great, then I'll go ahead and cancel the Suite.

If they don't give me the upgrade, call the Hotel the night before and ask why...then If they tell me they don't have any available, cancel the Suite and see what happens (I can cancel until midnight the night before)

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I would book two standard rooms and call to ask day before arrival if a suite was available. If you get it maybe it is for the cost of one room, or two- but in either event you have enough beds and it is cheaper than the usurious 175k per night rate for the suite.

You can also do 5 for 4 and get a super early check in or late checkout
Old May 23, 2022, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
That's a good idea also!

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Originally Posted by Bliebs1977
Group-
I'm trying to book the Moab Curio for 4 nights in the first week in June and it appears that standard rooms as well as Suites with Kings and Suites with 2 Queens are all available.

I need a suite since there are 2 Adults and our 17 year old daughter, but the King Suite is 175,000 per night, while the standard room is 80,000 per night.

I cant use the buy 4 get one free, since I only have 4 nights in Moab and 3 nights in Vegas allocated, so this is what my plan is:

Book the 4 nights (without the bonus night) of the regular room (320,000 points)
Book the 4 nights (same nights) for the Suite (700,000 points)

If they give me the upgrade, great, then I'll go ahead and cancel the Suite.

If they don't give me the upgrade, call the Hotel the night before and ask why...then If they tell me they don't have any available, cancel the Suite and see what happens (I can cancel until midnight the night before)

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks!
This won't work, since hotel already knows how many rooms will get canceled last minute and they can overbook, so you canceling one speculative booking will not open a suite for upgrade.
Old May 23, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Hotels are getting tricky with the varying levels of standard rooms.

You’ve booked a standard king room and the next logical class would be a junior suite. However, there are likely several strata of 1K rooms including low floor poor view, low floor nice view, high floor poor view, high floor nice view, etc.

My mantra is book what you need and you’ll never be disappointed.
awayIgo, dlaue and wizla like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if you don't get the upgrade, your plan is to call the hotel and explain that you booked a suite to prevent them from selling it to anyone else, with the intention of canceling your reservation at the last minute, and now that you've cancelled the fake reservation, they clearly have a suite available and you are entitled to it?

That may just as likely end up in you being reported to corporate as you getting the upgrade.
craigthemif, IAN-UK, RK23 and 3 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doppy
So if you don't get the upgrade, your plan is to call the hotel and explain that you booked a suite to prevent them from selling it to anyone else, with the intention of canceling your reservation at the last minute, and now that you've cancelled the fake reservation, they clearly have a suite available and you are entitled to it?

That may just as likely end up in you being reported to corporate as you getting the upgrade.
... at a hotel chain where suite upgrades are not promised anyhow.
SPN Lifer, Doppy and seawolf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.