Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Flying Low
Thanks all,

Fight gets in just after 4am, probably arrive at hotel 6am-ish. Think I'll book for the following night and take my chances with an email/phonecall and se what transpires. If the worst happens we'll be able to dump bags and stroll on beach/sit in lounge/bar etc until check-in.

Thanks again,

FL
In that case check the hotel's e-standby upgrade options after you have booked. Some hotels offer early check-in ( based on availability ) for a fee.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Low
Thanks all,

Fight gets in just after 4am, probably arrive at hotel 6am-ish. Think I'll book for the following night and take my chances with an email/phonecall and se what transpires. If the worst happens we'll be able to dump bags and stroll on beach/sit in lounge/bar etc until check-in.

Thanks again,

FL
We recently checked in to the Hilton Dusseldorf around 7AM. Flight got in about 40 minutes early. The desk agent said that our assigned room was not yet cleaned, went into the back room to talk with someone, then came out and gave us a different Executive Level room. Very nice, very simple.

Maybe this was why there was no greeting gift, but I'm OK with that for a check-in that early

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Early check in is really not so much a Diamond benefit as (other's have noted) an accommodation. If you want to ensure you have a room, book for the night before and then if you arrive at 4 AM, no problems. Otherwise, you're rolling the proverbial dice that when you arrive the hotel is a) not full b) housekeeping has a room ready to go and c) the front desk clerk is willing to work with you. Otherwise, (as others have noted), I'm sure they would hold your bags and keep you at the top of the list for the first room available.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
While most HH properties try to accommodate such requests, I find no special preference/privilege to HH Diamonds. In fact, typically late checkouts are around 1-2pm latest with HH and they say things like "as a HH diamond we'll extend your checkout til then."

I regularly get checkouts at 2-3pm from places I have no status with and with Hyatt/PC I can get 4pm per my benefits.

Time for HH to step up to the plate and make this a benefit.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
If you don't want to roll the dice with having a room available that early, definitely book the room for that overnight. Tell the hotel that you will be arriving between 4-6am and to pre-register you in the room the evening before. That way, you won't be docked as a DNA when night audit is done. It's a pretty common occurrence to book the room for a very early arrival.
Get it in writing that they will pre-register you, just in case they forget; if they forgot, the room will still be there and ready, they will just have to reinstate the reservation...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I've been very pleased to be accommodated some places, but then there are others, such as Hilton Guam, that sell rooms for day room use, and will generally not check in very early, and others such as the recycled DoubleTree LHR that offer an early check-in for £16.00.

Originally Posted by helosc
In that case check the hotel's e-standby upgrade options after you have booked. Some hotels offer early check-in ( based on availability ) for a fee.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I'm not a Diamond. I have noticed some hotels have housekeeping at night. Especially if they have airline and railroad employees there. Usually you have to wait to check in after 6am or you pay as if you had arrived earlier. My experience has been if you arrive after 6am you can stay until noon the next day. Like others have said it depends on how busy the hotel is. It helps to contact the manager ahead of time.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Hilton Antwerp. Previously I have ticked the options upgrade box [euro=19] for early checkin 0800-1200 if available, and on 9.15am checkin, my Exec Room was ready etc and I was charged the 19euro I had tickboxed as an offer.

This last weekend, I never checked the tickboxes, arrived 09.00am, went to reception and politely mentioned i was booked for tonight and asked if it was possible to check in early or maybe use lounge to work until lunchtime and my room was free.

Got immediate response room is ready, despite being alcove suite (2-levels above an Exec Room) and given room keycard immediately with no early checkin 19euro charge.

I have often checked in a little early, say 12 noon or a little later, this was my first non-reserved/non-paid really early Hilton checkin!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by wizla
I had a stay at Hilton canary wharf July last year to do a Thames walk that started at 10-30 am...... I wanted an early check in ( 8am) so I could shower, sauna and dump my bags .......asked nicely in an email to manager and got early check in , upgraded to exec and even offered me breakfast when I arrived!....... Outstanding service..... My tip - ask nicely!.
Something similar happened at the Hilton Prague both times to me. Showed up early AM. First time, room wasn't quite ready, but said it'd be ready in 20 minutes. I was offered breakfast in the executive lounge while I waited.

Second time, showed up around 7:30am with my wife. My wife was really upset as we just got ripped off by a cabbie. Executive floor rep was phenomenal - gave us a room immediately, upgraded us to a suite, and gave us drinks while we waited. Plus could go have breakfast in the lounge.

I was a gold both times.

My experience is that hotels will try to accommodate you if the room, and some may charge you an additional fee for a really early check in (Hilton Prague didn't either time). However, as others said, most will let you at least dump your bags until check in time if they don't have the room.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, CO/Star Platinum/Gold, National Executive Elite
This past Sunday night, I got stuck at the airport. didn't make it to my hotel till 5am in the morning. The hotel lets me check into my room, but didn't charge me for the Sunday night, so I was like checking in at 5am for my Monday stay.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
In most of the hotels th hat I have worked in, the prior night cut-off is 6 or 7 am. Checking in prior yo is considered previous night. Checking in after is the new day and based on availability. Y M M V
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Early check in

I'm a Diamond member with around 50 stays each year. Often I arrive before the standard check in time, and usually I can check in right away. Only a few times I have to wait for a room to be ready.
3 days ago I visited DoubleTree Amsterdam Central. I arrived at the hotel around noon, and I asked if they had a room so that I could check in right away. The anwer was: "Yes, we have available rooms now, but if you want to check in before 3pm we will charge you €40 extra"!
I have never experienced that other places. Is it a new Hilton policy, or is it just this hotel?
What is your experience with this?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: DL DM, 2.5MM; HH:Diamond; HGVC
I experienced the same at The Double Tree Amsterdam Centraal Station 2 weeks ago. I have stayed there probably 30 times over last few years and this was the first time they wanted to charge me for early check in. I inquired when this changed and was told it has always been their policy!? I didn't feel like pursuing the matter at that time.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: AF/KLM FB Plat, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
The same happend to me when staing in the beginning of January 2014, I guess they are trying to cash in on early check in and I think it is unbelievable and very customer unfriendly in my opinion! We went into town to overcome those three hours of waiting.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Pathetic IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.