Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Early Check-In" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would rather keep it off NOR-1's books, but do you stand a better chance of getting an upgrade using NOR-1? I am staying in vegas in 2 weeks at the hilton and a couple NOR-1's came up. If I decline them and ask to pay for an upgrade will the people that selected NOR 1's get priority over me?
Yes, the hotel is going to have a far firmer ability to upgrade you than NOR-1. Its their property after all. I always contact the hotel directly whenever I really want an upgrade. Often I've been able to cut some sort of deal that is better than NOR-1 (e.g. they just do it out of courtesy and/or they let me squat after paying night 1 for the room I want and so on). The worst case I've had is getting the upgrade for what NOR-1 was asking but even then there is one very important difference - its locked in with the hotel. Remember NOR-1 is really just a request queue. It doesn't gurantee anything. The hotel will only give you the upgrade on a NOR-1 basis if they didn't sell it themselves using their own channels which would include people like me contacting them directly.

Don't feed the troll (NOR-1) - nothing good ever comes of it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Early check-in options?

Before I contact the hotel directly I thought I would ask on the forum for some feedback to my questions.
We're planning on staying at the Hilton Madrid Airport for three nights in May. Our flight arrives around 6.30am so with immigration and baggage reclaim even if we took our time we should arrive at the Hilton around 8.30 ish.....far too early to check-in. So I was wondering what our options would be.

Preferably I would like to pay an early check-in fee in order to freshen up and rest a while before going into Madrid for some lunch although I can't seem to find any info on being able to do such a thing on the site.....anyone had any experience of doing this at a Hilton?
Another would be to leave our luggage head into the city for a few hours then check-in at the correct time.....assuming they would look after our luggage that is?
Best of all of course would to be allowed to check-in to our room at that time but I accept that would be a hell of long shot and not at all to be expected.
The room will be in my wife's name and she is Gold if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Before I contact the hotel directly I thought I would ask on the forum for some feedback to my questions.
We're planning on staying at the Hilton Madrid Airport for three nights in May. Our flight arrives around 6.30am so with immigration and baggage reclaim even if we took our time we should arrive at the Hilton around 8.30 ish.....far too early to check-in. So I was wondering what our options would be.

Preferably I would like to pay an early check-in fee in order to freshen up and rest a while before going into Madrid for some lunch although I can't seem to find any info on being able to do such a thing on the site.....anyone had any experience of doing this at a Hilton?
Another would be to leave our luggage head into the city for a few hours then check-in at the correct time.....assuming they would look after our luggage that is?
Best of all of course would to be allowed to check-in to our room at that time but I accept that would be a hell of long shot and not at all to be expected.
The room will be in my wife's name and she is Gold if that makes any difference.
Most hotels will allow you to check in if there is a room available in the category you are paying for. At most airport hotels, the best reason for staying there is that you have an early flight, so it is not uncommon for there to be a room available. If there is a room available, they should just check you into it, no extra charge. If there is no room available, I don't think they will wake somebody up and drag them out of their room so you can use it. So the bottom line is, a very high likelihood but no way of being certain, except to reserve the room beginning the night before, pay for it, and email the hotel to explain that when you will arrive and that you have paid for the room beginning the previous night to make sure it is available.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:58 pm

Thanks gemac.

Yes our original arrival time at MAD was around 5.30am so I had thought about just booking the room for the day before. They then changed the schedule to a 6.30am arrival so didn't see the value in booking an extra night preferring to pay an early check-in fee instead. Good thinking about it being an airport hotel so a lot of guests will be checking out early.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
some additional info based on similar experiences...

Never found a Hilton who wouldn't store luggage for us when we arrived way early like you expect to.

Also, if they have possibly decided to upgrade you (your wife, as a Gold member) to an Exec Room (or you booked one), even if not ready, they'll usually give you immediate access to the Executive Lounge (if this hotel has one). A nicer option for hanging out at the hotel especially if they indicate your room may be ready earlier than normal check-in time.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
+1 with all of the above.

Email the hotel ahead of time and let them know of your early arrival, if they can they will get you into a room. If not, they will store your luggage. They may let you use the exec lounge, or I have even had them ask me if I would like breakfast in the restuarant at 8:00am on the day of check in (free as a gold HH).

Unless you really MUST be in the room, I would not pay for the night before.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
if they have an empty room they will probably give it to you without charging you. It would probably have to be a room that was empty the night before, if somebody left at six am, they would probably not have had time to make it up yet.

As to storing luggage, that should not be a problem at all, I've never seen it be an issue.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
You could also consider showing and changing at an airport lounge like an Admiral's Club. If you aren't flying in first or business you can typically buy a day pass for $50.00.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dmd
This hotel advertises a full health club. I have found most hotels will allow you to shower and change in the health club. They will then store your luggage until your room is ready.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. ^

I feel a lot better now after reading your replies. Worst case scenario seems to be having to drop off the luggage and wandering into Madrid for a few hours.....as we'll be on holiday that would hardly be a hardship especially if we could grab a shower in the health club.
Who knows we might even get lucky if there is a room available or be able to use the lounge until one is....either option would be a nice and welcome surprise.

Sadly no arrivals lounge facility at Madrid even though we are flying IB in J.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Also, if you want to be sure to have a room, you can book a day-use rate for your day of arrival, it gives you the room from 9am to 6 pm for 50% of the BAR.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dkroh1
This hotel advertises a full health club. I have found most hotels will allow you to shower and change in the health club. They will then store your luggage until your room is ready.
+1 ... I've had that experience before with an early check-in. They stored my bag (even delivered it to the room before I got back!) and let me shower and change in their full service health club/gym. Made it much easier to work a full day after that.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 1:02 pm

deleted, company policy

Last edited by Hhonor Gguard; Dec 2, 2013 at 10:32 am Reason: deleted, company policy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah, but those arriving in the international arrivals at T4-S must pass through immigration, customs and go landside - no arrivals lounge at MAD, unless you are arriving in Iberia Business Plus international or have Iberia status (take the train to T4):
"Shower service on arrival in T4

Iberia gives its best customers the chance to use this service free in terminal T4.

You can use it, provided you travel in Business Plus and arrive in Madrid on an Iberia intercontinental flight, starting the day before.

The beneficiary customers will be entitled to the shower service. Currently provided by Beauty SPA in the commercial area of Level 2 of Terminal 4 (right after the check-in counters). Once there, and they must show their boarding card or intercontinental flight ticket.

Furthermore, our Iberia Plus Platino, Oro and Club Fiesta customers , regardless of the flight and class, may invite a companion to use the service, provided they have made a flight in Iberia Intercontinental Tourist class to Madrid starting the day before, or are going to fly with Iberia in any class on the same day."
It's also possible, as I understand it, to pay a fee and use this service if you do not qualify by the terms above.

Otherwise, the best thing to do is what others have recommended: arrive, admit you are quite early and inquire pleasantly if there happens to be a possibility of a room. If not, can you leave the baggage in the baggage room until you return.

I've not had most hotels decline to offer me this (though a very few do not have baggage rooms - the Hilton Moorea Lagoon, for example - and do not secure baggage very well, maybe putting it in an area of the lobby or putting a cord through the handle). Airport hotels are usually the best for this - Hilton CDG and others have let me check in quite early.

Originally Posted by adambrock
You could also consider showing and changing at an airport lounge like an Admiral's Club. If you aren't flying in first or business you can typically buy a day pass for $50.00.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Very Early Check-In

I'll be mileage running in October to a very nice property in the Eastern part of our world. My flight arrives @ 1am and by the time I hit customs and cab it will be 3 am. If I arrive on Tue at said time do you think they would let me check into a room (if avalible) early for my Tue rsvp....should I go a head and book Monday just to be safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.