Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton cancels reservation, won't provide alternative at same points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton cancels reservation, won't provide alternative at same points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2022, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Angry Hilton cancels reservation, won't provide alternative at same points

Hi folks,
Need some help on expectations here..
tl;dr - Hilton cancels my 20k points rooms(40k total) and will not help/adjust points to rebook anything comparable (requiring 100k now).

I had an upcoming reservations for 2 rooms on a busy holiday weekend on points - 20k each at the time (just one night, 40k total). This was booked last year.
I receive a standard-cancelation email for each room - no explanation. When I login to check - no record of the reservation exists, and the hotel I had booked at is no longer listed as a Hampton but another similar named Hilton property said to open later this year (well past my trip date).
I freak out because room rates have gone from $130-200 to $350-400, and points in the same city are minumum 50k-120k. Just to make sure I have a place to stay next week, I make a new points reservation - which is 100k points now.

I call customer service, spend 40 minutes on the phone. Rep first agrees that they should be able to adjust the point down to match what Hilton originally charged, but after trying she cannot.. She talks to a manager and says they have to email "guest relocation", another 5 minutes of her typing it up she says I should hear back from them "shortly".
Forward a day, hear nothing back, no confirmation or acknowledgement (we're not 3 days from arrival).

I call again, ask if they can review my issue from the day before - new rep says no record of call yesterday. I ask about this "guest relocation" desk - she says that doesn't exist. Now 20 minutes into this call, explained everything again, she says she cannot do anything as "rates are dynamic and you rebooked at a different property". Original was a Hampton Inn, new (and cheapest in the area) is a Garden Inn. Both were comparable points/prices when I booked last summer - she does not care about this fact.
I reexplain that it is not my choice to rebook - but forced due to Hilton not having the hotel available anymore where the original reservation was. She says I need to email [email protected] and wait 7 business days. I ask her to email them and CC me - nope. I ask her to email me an indication of our conversation - nope, can't email. I ask for her manager - nope, doesn't have one and then "I work at home".

To note - since sometimes thes chats get heated - I was entirely courteous and calm when reexplaining and asking for an answer for another 45 minutes.

Finally, I get her first name and last initial - and she only keeps repeating she cannot escalate or do anything.
I email guest.correspondence - with a succient explanation, and the ask "I am asking that you adjust (or make a new) reservation to Hilton's original commitment to provide me 2 rooms in a similar area at 20k points each."

...and this morning (now 3rd day into this, and tmrw is arrival) and receive this response:
"I am pleased to inform you that...rates are highly dynamic in nature and differs from property to property. Hence, I would request you to contact to our dedicated reservation team if you are calling from the U.S.,...."

Anyone have an angle here? I'm burning down 1m points, obviously not earning anymore in the recent past but starting to travel again - and thinking of writing off Hilton for life if this is the norm.

cheers,
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by nekbet
Hi folks,
Need some help on expectations here..
tl;dr - Hilton cancels my 20k points rooms(40k total) and will not help/adjust points to rebook anything comparable (requiring 100k now).

I had an upcoming reservations for 2 rooms on a busy holiday weekend on points - 20k each at the time (just one night, 40k total). This was booked last year.
I receive a standard-cancelation email for each room - no explanation. When I login to check - no record of the reservation exists, and the hotel I had booked at is no longer listed as a Hampton but another similar named Hilton property said to open later this year (well past my trip date).
I freak out because room rates have gone from $130-200 to $350-400, and points in the same city are minumum 50k-120k. Just to make sure I have a place to stay next week, I make a new points reservation - which is 100k points now.

I call customer service, spend 40 minutes on the phone. Rep first agrees that they should be able to adjust the point down to match what Hilton originally charged, but after trying she cannot.. She talks to a manager and says they have to email "guest relocation", another 5 minutes of her typing it up she says I should hear back from them "shortly".
Forward a day, hear nothing back, no confirmation or acknowledgement (we're not 3 days from arrival).

I call again, ask if they can review my issue from the day before - new rep says no record of call yesterday. I ask about this "guest relocation" desk - she says that doesn't exist. Now 20 minutes into this call, explained everything again, she says she cannot do anything as "rates are dynamic and you rebooked at a different property". Original was a Hampton Inn, new (and cheapest in the area) is a Garden Inn. Both were comparable points/prices when I booked last summer - she does not care about this fact.
I reexplain that it is not my choice to rebook - but forced due to Hilton not having the hotel available anymore where the original reservation was. She says I need to email [email protected] and wait 7 business days. I ask her to email them and CC me - nope. I ask her to email me an indication of our conversation - nope, can't email. I ask for her manager - nope, doesn't have one and then "I work at home".

To note - since sometimes thes chats get heated - I was entirely courteous and calm when reexplaining and asking for an answer for another 45 minutes.

Finally, I get her first name and last initial - and she only keeps repeating she cannot escalate or do anything.
I email guest.correspondence - with a succient explanation, and the ask "I am asking that you adjust (or make a new) reservation to Hilton's original commitment to provide me 2 rooms in a similar area at 20k points each."

...and this morning (now 3rd day into this, and tmrw is arrival) and receive this response:
"I am pleased to inform you that...rates are highly dynamic in nature and differs from property to property. Hence, I would request you to contact to our dedicated reservation team if you are calling from the U.S.,...."

Anyone have an angle here? I'm burning down 1m points, obviously not earning anymore in the recent past but starting to travel again - and thinking of writing off Hilton for life if this is the norm.

cheers,
Twitter DM is your fastest and most efficient method for issues such as this.
Redhead and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
Unfortunately , the flexible rate works both ways. Both the guest and the hotel can cancel up to 24 hours without any penalties or repercussions.
I assume the hotel only rebooked guests arriving within 24-48 hours of the closure.

Last edited by ovacikar; Apr 15, 2022 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 15, 2022, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Twitter DM is your fastest and most efficient method for issues such as this.
Good idea. Tried that and they were responsive with 2 replies in short order, then went entirely quiet. Then I got an email that appears on a thread (that no one could find, nor CC me yesterday) that the first representative started.. With what I think is good news, but appears that I'll do my stay with the 100k points and then they'll credit back. Will see how this goes. They said "reach to us after checkout of the stay showing the points used 40000 for the booking along with valid correspondence"

<fingers crossed>
Kerrirdh and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Why not DM

Hilton Honors Ambassador

Available in the Sticky in this Forum.
formeraa likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Didn't know about the ambassador here... but GTK for next time :-)

Hilton resolved it with the original ask to just keep the points use whole - via twitter, then DM. Happened only about 12 hours before checkin so was a bit concerned, so overall happy and learned I should just goto twitter or ambassador direct next time - the hours on the phone was all for nil.
That said - stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Dublin Custom House and it was quite nice. New, clean, great location and views.

thanks all -
Old May 3, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ovacikar
Unfortunately , the flexible rate works both ways. Both the guest and the hotel can cancel up to 24 hours without any penalties or repercussions.
I assume the hotel only rebooked guests arriving within 24-48 hours of the closure.
This is incorrect. If the hotel cancels they must rebook you. They're still contractually on the hook to provide what was agreed to when customer booked.
Old May 3, 2022, 2:17 pm

Can you still stay in an HGI, or Doubletree, and not pay if you say you were unhappy?

I seem to recall we did this in Milan and they were definitely not happy that I was not happy, and didn't pay. (Got my points refunded.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.