Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Diamond guest attacked on Check-In Line by non-member: Hilton Copacabana

Diamond guest attacked on Check-In Line by non-member: Hilton Copacabana

Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy Diamond guest attacked on Check-In Line by non-member: Hilton Copacabana

What would you do if you were waiting on the line as Diamond and this occurred to you as you were being called next? Looks like the staff at Hilton Copacabana hardly interfered to help him. The twitter thread mentioned he is pressing charges against the property and is seeking compensation from Hilton.

Video:

Twitter where the Diamond guest responds .com/monty_sexton/status/1477181245750755331

Article: https://travelnoire.com/black-man-as...n-diamond-club

Last edited by Gertjaars; Jan 9, 2022 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:07 pm

Hmm..I’d rather take my chances there than at the Conrad Las Vegas.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
What would you do if you were waiting on the line as Diamond and this occurred to you as you were being called next? Looks like the staff at Hilton Copacabana hardly interfered to help him. The twitter thread mentioned he is pressing charges against the property and is seeking compensation from Hilton.
1.) I think if someone cut in line on me, I'd let it slide and de-escalate instead of taking actions that could end up with jail time, a busted nose, a civil suit, or someone being killed.

2.) Whomever is talking in that video is annoying as heck.

3.) The video only shows the last moment of an exciting conflict, but we can't really draw a conclusion as to what happened, other than there's a lot of what looks to be hotel staff present / probably trying to get people separated. Race baiting, level of intoxication, prior argument, etc. is all conjecture - and possibly just being tossed out there for clicks and controversy. While we haven't seen any video showing racist behavior, just possibly drunk or angry people fighting, that "King" tweeter person is being overtly racist in many of their tweets. King is clearly trying to instigate/stir up anger, and is trying to bait Hilton into replying/looking for free stuff, trying to fuel internet controversy, etc.

4.) We don't have any proof of what happened prior to video we're being shown. (Personally, when looking at that few seconds, the swimsuit girl crossed a line and initiated conflict *in that instance*, but the long haired guest punched the tall guy even though there was no aggression shown on his part *in that instance*. I only know U.S. law on assault, no clue as to this country, but here? Both the woman and the long haired guest could face charges.)

5.) Like many conflicts, this was probably a bad combination/meeting of two groups of angry, possibly drunk people that didn't mix well.

6.) Unless a lot more facts come out, Hilton doesn't owe anyone anything. Some front desk gal wouldn't be expected to endanger herself by wading into and refereeing a barfight. There's a large employee (Security?) presence shown there, and it looks like they're trying to sort it out. There's assumedly two security folks who are shown trying to keep woman away from the long-haired guest guy, so Hilton is NOT "not hardly interfering to help him" -- there's no one on him, but at least two trying to watch her aggressive behavior without actually going hands-on with her (which could lead to its own harassment issues). but the guests are the only parties that look like they'd be blamed, not Hilton.
SkyLich, Synapseturquoise and ewoo like this.

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Jan 9, 2022 at 9:40 pm Reason: watched the twitter video and edited update
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:41 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Why does every incident these days seemingly mention the skin color of those involved?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:23 am

This looks really fake to me! The guy goes down after barely being touched.
BigFishDave and hotturnip like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant

2.) Whomever is talking in that video is annoying as heck.

The "narration" is probably text-to-voice software reading a written report.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Guvner067
Why does every incident these days seemingly mention the skin color of those involved?
Because for too many years, racial incidents were denied or whitewashed over. It's only the proliferation of cameras in phone which allow/force white America to see the racism which black America deals with on a day to day basis.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by southlondonphil
The "narration" is probably text-to-voice software reading a written report.
No, I meant the "It's all on camera!" over and over again... guy at this video link:
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: All
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
No, I meant the "It's all on camera!" over and over again... guy at this video link: https://twitter.com/monty_sexton/sta...81245750755331
"Thank you for contacting Hilton Honors. We appreciate your commitment to the Hilton portfolio, We have credited your account ending in XXXXXXX834 with 500 Hilton Honors points for the inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing Hilton and we hope to welcome you again at one of our properties soon."
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Guvner067
For the clicks of course. there is no audio or indication that this drunk idiot was attacking the man for his skin color. I hope he does press charges against her though but this is in another country so not sure what the rules are there.
BigFishDave and SkyLich like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:39 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
I predict many members of this board will begin to dislike each other after reading this thread
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by residentx
Looks real to me. Especially if the verbally-offensive guy on the ground was drunk before the punch. Even otherwise, going down and staying down can at times be a defensive — albeit risky — play for some to try to avoid taking a further beating. Can’t see how it would be smart for the knocked down guy to get up and be a fighter like his female partner at the hotel.

Not sure the NYer at the hotel was Hilton Gold or Diamond, but he landed a golden hit without gloves.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by residentx
I've knocked down drunks by plucking them.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
I think he missed the woman and hit the guy by mistake, bad timing on him appearing right in front his fist. That was one heck of a punch though, no wonder he went down for the count. Different country, nobody would bat an eyelash about this in contrast to here in the US.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I don't understand the OP, which includes the statement "Looks like the staff at Hilton Copacabana hardly interfered to help him." There were FOUR hotel staff (security) standing between the two/three guests. How does that possibly equate to "the staff . . . hardly interfered to help him"?

If you mean "none of the front desk staff leaped over the counter to intervene" you are correct, but I don't think that could be expected even in the absence of the security personnel.
DiverDave and SkyLich like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.