Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2020] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Originally Posted by setho212
Whether its worth it or not, $650 is way out of my budget for one tour. Does the hotel permit outside tour vendors to pick up at the hotel? If so, are there less expensive options for snorkeling with whale sharks.
No outside vendors allowed, the reason, why the trip from WA is so expensive, is becausethere are no whale sharks in this area, depending on water conditions it will take about 2hours by speed boat to go to south ari atoll, whereas from conrad or Lux it will only take a few minutes
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Bellerin
Ahhhhh, I hadn't thought of that or factored it in. Thanks very much persoid and Jamal06 !!!
But then you have an additional transfer charge though. I bet you could pull off two separate 5-night bookings at the CRM if the goal is to maximize points and not incur extra hard costs.

Edit: Or am I totally reading this wrong? Just re-read and got confused at the goal.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by cnote2254
But then you have an additional transfer charge though. I bet you could pull off two separate 5-night bookings at the CRM if the goal is to maximize points and not incur extra hard costs.

Edit: Or am I totally reading this wrong? Just re-read and got confused at the goal.
If you have Silver or better status at Hilton, you can redeem points for a 5 night for the cost of 4 nights. You can do this is in any multiple of 5 consecutive nights at the same property. Booking 5 nights will cost you 4 nights of points and 10 nights will cost you 8 nights of points, etc. There is no good reason to book 9 nights of points stay at one property, since it costs the same as 10 nights. Even if your schedule only allows a 9 night stay, you can use the 10th night booking to guarantee yourself either early or late check-in/out.

10 nights here is 960K points. 10 nights at conrad maldives is 760k points.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:06 am

King Reef vs King Overwater

What exactly is the difference between King Reef and King Overwater villas? I can't really tell the difference from the images on the website. They both look to be Overwater and look very similar.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by samuelo
Today my butler informed me that I forgot to sign at the end of the night yesterday. Told him that I didn’t realise it was necessary since the dinner was compulsory. Turns out they needed my signature for the bottle of still and sparkling water that we had.....
That's disgusting!

Originally Posted by samuelo
Even by the standards of the Maldives an U$800/pp dinner that does not even include complimentary water or drinks is a complete rip-off. The food was good but it seemed the pricing was based on we have a captive audience so let’s fleece them.
You got it, buddy.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
It's weird. I read the last few pages and think "Oh, they're finally getting the message. Maybe I'll give this place a try after all" and then I see a post like this and I just think "Nope".
+1,000,000. @NightFury1 obviously doesn't understand that their attitude towards ripping off the guests slaughtering of the lambs isn't limited to 1 out of the 365 days of the year.

Originally Posted by persoid
What devaluation and downgrade in service do you speak of? We just returned from our third trip to the CRM and felt the service was once again stellar. Returning again next year, and skipping the WA.
The service at CMRI is indeed as it always has been and it keeps getting better, especially for returning guests.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

The service at CMRI is indeed as it always has been and it keeps getting better, especially for returning guests.
That's not what I have read on the CMRI thread. I've read numerous reports of FT posters complaining about a decline in service at CMRI. Let's not disregard all the online reports of the decline in service at CMRI while simultaneously crowing about every negative Tripadvisor review of WA Ithaafushi.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Jamal06
If you have Silver or better status at Hilton, you can redeem points for a 5 night for the cost of 4 nights. You can do this is in any multiple of 5 consecutive nights at the same property. Booking 5 nights will cost you 4 nights of points and 10 nights will cost you 8 nights of points, etc. There is no good reason to book 9 nights of points stay at one property, since it costs the same as 10 nights. Even if your schedule only allows a 9 night stay, you can use the 10th night booking to guarantee yourself either early or late check-in/out.

10 nights here is 960K points. 10 nights at conrad maldives is 760k points.
I just booked 9 nights at WA Maldives. 5 nights with points and 2 nights with my weekend certs and another 2 nights with my husband's certs.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by joytatee
I just booked 9 nights at WA Maldives. 5 nights with points and 2 nights with my weekend certs and another 2 nights with my husband's certs.
That's the absolute best way to do it, even taking it up one level by doing 3+5+2, if you can secure an extra free weekend night cert.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The King Ocean Villas has no photos but appears to have the same square footage as the King Overwater Villa with Pool, so I assume they're the same room.
If this is the case then this would be by far the best deal for OWVs in the world as no co-pay would be required for upgrading at such a luxurious property. I might have to book one of these rooms and hope for the best.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:36 pm

Service at CR only good for certain number of returned guests not to apply to all returned guests .

I do not think I have any chance to stay at WA for my next trip since less and less reward room available as day goes by.

Last edited by vnfilm1; Jan 7, 2020 at 3:54 am
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sjmoss23
If this is the case then this would be by far the best deal for OWVs in the world as no co-pay would be required for upgrading at such a luxurious property. I might have to book one of these rooms and hope for the best.
This is the response of a representative after asking what was exactly what an Ocean Villa:

"Kindly note, King Ocean Villa with Pool and King Overwater Villa with Pool are the same category. However, although they are the same category, the King Ocean Villa with Pool can be booked under standard redemption and King Overwater Villa with Pool can be booked under premium rewards.
You can change the villa category to Reef Villa with Pool with out any extra charge."

This means that if you book an Ocean Villa with Pool you basically get the same room as Overwater Villa with Pool, fully over the water. Can upgrade to Beach Villa for approximately $200 + 23.2% a night.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:30 pm

Why on earth did they create another category for a category that already exists just to take premium awards?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Why on earth did they create another category for a category that already exists just to take premium awards?
That's the same thing I thought. Pretty confused about that.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:00 pm

I am planning on making an award booking at this hotel for January 2021. I was looking at availability and the hotel does not show any paid or award availability after 12/20/2020. Does the hotel not load capacity 365 days out? Does anyone know when I can expect to see rooms in January 2021 available to be booked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.