Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:02 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
FYI - one thing I didn't mention, that we noticed and weren't over the moon about is that it seemed to us that there were many more buggies than in the past and that they were travelling a lot faster than normal. Not a huge thing, but at times we just felt it spoilt the ambience of CR
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by itsj0nathan
30 days for restaurants? Is that even true!? Last time I was there we could just make dinner plans the day before or the morning of and have our pick at the restaurant. This was end of November 2016 so I dont know how much that changes for months like Jan-Mar.
Depends. We were there over Thanksgiving and the hotel was pretty much full. As such when we booked Sunset Grill for our last night (Saturday) on the Tuesday, we had our pick of tables and times. Some friends tried to book for Saturday on the Thursday and it was full.

By contrast, we booked the Wine Cellar dinner the day before with another couple who had cancelled their Koko reservation after our experience and another couple they'd spoken to who considered it equally as underwhelming; and the day of the dinner they were actively trying to recruit other couples at Happy Hour. So it just depends what other people are doing.

We only had one night where we couldn't get in anywhere on the day (there was availability at Vilu but with eating breakfast and then happy hour there every day meant we didn't want dinner there as well) so it was either IVD or Rangali Bar. We chose the latter.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7
FYI - one thing I didn't mention, that we noticed and weren't over the moon about is that it seemed to us that there were many more buggies than in the past and that they were travelling a lot faster than normal. Not a huge thing, but at times we just felt it spoilt the ambience of CR
Glad I'm not alone. The sheer volume of carts really wound me up. And more than a few times they came barrelling past barely slowing down.

It's a matter of time before one of those wing mirrors crack a kid on the head - they're just the right height to take out a 6-10 year old. And at the speeds they came past us, it would be serious.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Glad I'm not alone. The sheer volume of carts really wound me up. And more than a few times they came barrelling past barely slowing down.

It's a matter of time before one of those wing mirrors crack a kid on the head - they're just the right height to take out a 6-10 year old. And at the speeds they came past us, it would be serious.
Interesting because since we've been here I've never had one go past even remotely fast nor seen one go past others faster than they do us (JIC Splotly comes along and says "MF, they go past you slower on purpose!").
As for amount of buggies; same as all our other visits AFAICT. Can't be 100% sure how many there are obviously but 'traffic density' is no different. I'll ask though.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:51 am

F&B info: Part 1

Lobster & Champagne Barbecue + menu, Fisherman's Barbecue + menu and the new Floating Breakfast.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 11, 2020 at 9:59 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Interesting because since we've been here I've never had one go past even remotely fast nor seen one go past others faster than they do us (JIC Splotly comes along and says "MF, they go past you slower on purpose!").
As for amount of buggies; same as all our other visits AFAICT. Can't be 100% sure how many there are obviously but 'traffic density' is no different. I'll ask though.
We walked across the bridge probably a dozen times per day, and always had to make way for two or more buggies whilst crossing - at all times of day.

Most of them did indeed slow to a crawl as they passed guest - but certainly not all of them, and some - particularly the ones that don't carry guests - hardly slowed at all.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thanks for posting the above. One thing I'm embarrassed and wish I could just change is that I'm a bit of a picky eater. I love eating meat but don't really like it with any type of sauce. Looking at the above, any idea if I were to ask if they'd be able to make a small portion of say the bbq lamb or pesto chicken just plain? And actually that would apply to all restaurants. I doubt the food is being shipped with sauces, but it's one of those requests thats always hit and miss.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Thanks for posting the above. One thing I'm embarrassed and wish I could just change is that I'm a bit of a picky eater. I love eating meat but don't really like it with any type of sauce. Looking at the above, any idea if I were to ask if they'd be able to make a small portion of say the bbq lamb or pesto chicken just plain? And actually that would apply to all restaurants. I doubt the food is being shipped with sauces, but it's one of those requests thats always hit and miss.
At the beach BBQs the meat is cooked by itself (with the possible exception of the lobster for which they might ask you whether you want it cooked with garlic butter or whatever) and the sauces are in small dishes. This is from memory so if I'm mistaken someone please point it out.
As for the restaurants (except Atoll Market), you'll have to ask for any meat to be cooked separately.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
We walked across the bridge probably a dozen times per day
Wow, that's a lot of walking. You're definitely in a better position to judge.....and you'd be right. I asked today and there are a few more buggies in the fleet, mostly because guests are getting lazier and lazier. At this time, though, most of the Russians (1/3 of the guests) are usually on foot so I guess that's making a difference.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Was that meant to be in jest or is there some actual evidence to back that up?
Just a joke (based upon what private equity firms usually require from management).
Over $8M in savings would be quite a challenge. I am glad that, for the Christmas party, they chose to keep a Champagne (Ruinart) instead of serving a Prosecco or some other sparkling wine. No savings there!

As it was my first stay at this property, I only judging the differences between what I read here in the past and what I have observed.
This being said, the amuse-bouches were unusually small during the Gold/Platinum Happy Hour.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
One of the best walks in the world - before/during/after sunrise - tip of one island to the other. One of the things I look forward to the most on each visit.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:03 pm

You are entitle to your own opinion. No point to argue further . So, I stop here .
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Abidjan
One of the best walks in the world - before/during/after sunrise - tip of one island to the other. One of the things I look forward to the most on each visit.
Yes! Hope so.. our trip is in a few weeks for our first Maldives trip ever.. we are in our sixties... but I try to do some type of exercise daily as well as get my 10000 steps in lol. I look forward to my walks. So I imagine Ill be crossing the bridge a lot... cant wait!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
If there is sufficient interest I will go around Atoll Market and take pics of every station from a Monday to a Sunday to show you guys exactly what's on offer. We had a quite a nice beef salad today and we're slowly noticing the changes and different items that they have on offer now.
Originally Posted by mrflintstone
I do hope they have something different each night as I have 5 dinners there!
I still havent gotten around to writing up my review but we ate in Atoll Market every night except for 1 on a 2 week stay in 2019 and that 1 night we ate in Sunset Grill. In our previous stays, we never ate in Atoll Market for dinner but the food was amazing in Atoll. They had different things on each night, Im not sure after how many days they rotate the menu but the food was really good. Especially the Indian station. Ive never eaten so much food in my life for dinner! So your 5 nights of dinners will not be disappointing!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
I still havent gotten around to writing up my review but we ate in Atoll Market every night except for 1 on a 2 week stay in 2019 and that 1 night we ate in Sunset Grill. In our previous stays, we never ate in Atoll Market for dinner but the food was amazing in Atoll. They had different things on each night, Im not sure after how many days they rotate the menu but the food was really good. Especially the Indian station. Ive never eaten so much food in my life for dinner! So your 5 nights of dinners will not be disappointing!
It's comforting to know the food at Atoll will be good. I don't like Indian myself (cannot stand the herbs and spices in their curries), but my partner does, so hopefully he'll like it.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by mrflintstone
It's comforting to know the food at Atoll will be good. I don't like Indian myself (cannot stand the herbs and spices in their curries), but my partner does, so hopefully he'll like it.
What type of food do you like? They have so many stations, Im sure youll have lots of options to choose from! They also would do a different roast meat each night. The roast chicken was really good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.