Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

[ARCHIVE 2020] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:20 pm

F&B info: Part 4B

Arsha, AKA: Pancake Girl. She makes the best pancakes in the Maldives and is fantastic with the kids, making Mickey Mouse pancakes and all sorts of other shapes.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:28 pm

F&B info: Part 4C

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Feb 11, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Great F&B pics

Thanks MaldivesFreak

Are you popping over to Vilu for breakfast, be interested to know if they still have Asian food, quite enjoyed the different dishes there.

Also is your holiday just at the Conrad or are you going to check out the WA at some point?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
I don't know if they fly or boat in most of the food from Male (where I presume everything has to have gone through customs), but it is really amazing that they are able to put out such a great array of treats including many perishables that have to be flown into Maldives from far away.
Just a couple of interesting facts. Most fruit is imported from Thailand. Most eggs and things like rocket lettuce are produced locally. Every egg has the production and expiry dates printed on it. There is also some fruit produced locally - papaya I think it is.
There are, on average, 3000 pieces of locally caught fish cooked per day which equates to anywhere between 3-500kg being delivered to the resort every day by local fishermen. This is mostly to feed the staff who are used to eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Thanks MaldivesFreak

Are you popping over to Vilu for breakfast, be interested to know if they still have Asian food, quite enjoyed the different dishes there.

Also is your holiday just at the Conrad or are you going to check out the WA at some point?
Been to Vilu for breakfast only 3 times so far (mainly because we're currently staying in a BV, the missus is sloooow in getting ready in the mornings and also has the occasional class at the gym straight after breakfast) but I think we'll be there tomorrow so I'll confirm all Vilu breakfast related questions then.

Here for all 32 days. I was considering doing the first 10 nights at the WA but, for a number of reasons, decided not to. The biggest things are:

a) it's so obviously man-made and after coming here so many times it would be a real downgrade as far as natural beauty goes. The number of species of both flora and fauna are just incomparable. For example we've had a little visitor* crawling on the ceiling the last couple of nights and we look forward to this kind of thing a lot. The bats flying around, the birds squawking and so on.....
* he's a gecko BTW

b) even after all the negativity they are continuing to be so incredibly blatant in their fleecing of guests it's just unbelievable - take the NYE celebrations as just one example. Chasing down a couple the next day who've already forked out 2k and asking them to pay for a bottle of water that they forgot to sign for FFS. This deserves nothing less than a large middle finger pointed sternly in their direction. Even if I won the lottery they wouldn't get a cent of mine.

c) As others have posted here on FT and via PM and from what I've heard from guests here at Rangali who've just come from there, the Waldorf has no soul. It's a manufactured resort set up for the sole purpose of manufacturing profit. And it's a baby in so many ways and it shows. And JIC you're thinking of replying with "but you've never been there", Mr Wannabe Policeman (you know who you are), these are not my words, but words of travellers who've been to the Maldives and Rangali 8, 10, 10+ times. You don't need to be a genius to figure it out. Yeah yeah, the 4 species of bushes (LMAO!) will grow thicker and the rooms will blow you away but like one German guy I met in the gym the other day said, "Do you want to spend all day in your room when you go to the Maldives?!" Conrad Koh Samui, sure. The Maldives? Well, maybe not so much. He also said the quality of the Italian food and the type of dishes is far behind what Vilu has to offer. But what do you expect. Vilu has a long history and has proven itself time and time again. The Waldorf has yet to prove itself in so many ways.

d) Then there are the staff. The Waldorf might catch up but it will take 5 years or a decade or even longer to build the kind of relationships with their guests that Rangali has with theirs. And another thing. The staff there are nowhere near as happy as the staff here. Some of them are already regretting leaving the Conrad.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Jan 13, 2020 at 4:07 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:13 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Amen.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Football Fan
I saw one guy with a Swedish accent and a hat (if you are reading, stay out of my way!) who behaved like a massive jerk to staff at the omelette station.
I've got reports he was from that massive country to the southeast of Sweden. Maybe mimicking a Swedish accent to mask his identity? LOL.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Great breakfast pics MaldivesFreak. Now got to decide how to split the 10 breakfasts between Atoll and Vilu. Less than 2 weeks to go! Can't wait. And I have the latest Tapas menu if anyone is interested.

Just confirming that all restaurants are footwear optional except Ithaa where everyone must be barefoot?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by mrflintstone
Just confirming that all restaurants are footwear optional except Ithaa where everyone must be barefoot?
Correct.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, IC Ambasador, Marriott Gold, Taj Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Breakfast buffet at Atoll Market. Enjoy the pics. We're certainly enjoying the food.

FEI: The Tropical Treat juice is mango, mint, honey & yoghurt. Really good!

My 3 favourite things about Atoll Market for breakfast:

- The fresh fruit
- Sushi for breakfast!
- A whole counter with different Asian foods
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
All these pics are making me homesick. Time to start planning the next visit.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: WN ALP, CP; AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I'll be arriving in two weeks. Is it too early to request a specific section of OWB's and/ or make restaurant reservations?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CJNoobie
I'll be arriving in two weeks. Is it too early to request a specific section of OWB's and/ or make restaurant reservations?
You can book restaurants max 30 days prior to arrival.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:17 pm
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Strange situation

Hi to all! May someone give me a clue, please.
Booked one week on points in water villa in July-August 2020. Sent an email to the hotel asking about the price of the upgrade to the deluxe water villa - to have a jacuzzi, loved it last time.
No one answered.
Looking to my booking now - my water villa was changed to Grand Water Villa with a pool in a reservation without any communication from the Hotel.
Is this change because of I asked for the price of the upgrade or because of the redesign of the villas, I heard about? Does it mean Ill have the same villa with the new name and have to ask about the paid upgrade one more time? Or they actually upgrade me and waiting for the payment?
I am trying to understand the situation before calling the Hotel.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:50 pm

Due to the planned renovations (mentioned in the wiki) you've been upgraded without cost to a GWV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.