Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Diamond: just underwhelming post pandemic era

Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT

Hilton upgraded me to Diamond. I have been Gold via AMEX for years now and really enjoyed the free breakfast benefit when traveling with family on vacation. Think: free continental breakfast on terrace at Waldorf Astoria Maui, and paid cash upgrade to full buffet.

So I did a business trip and stayed at a full service Hilton this past week. The only thing I got out of the Diamond status without doing anything for a $12 statement credit for food and beverages. Gee thanks! Executive lounge is still closed and no ETA on when it will re-open. No 2 bottles of water daily; have to go to front desk to request them even though they did do house keeping daily. No room upgrade on them but not like I really care on a business trip when it is just me. Staff at hotel was polite and nice so nothing really to complain about the property. Are my expectations off (i.e. status = $12/day statement credit and that is about it) or this is business travel in the post pandemic world (with Hilton)?
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I am normally Gold via credit card. I currently am Diamond via stays, but I haven't noticed much difference, except for one thing, I earn 100% bonus vs 80% bonus with Gold.

I haven't been upgraded in most stays (although most stays are at Hamptons and Hilton Garden). My only stay at a full service Hilton was in Boston where they promised a $15 credit, but only gave people a $10 credit (that was disappointing, but not enough to ruin a fine stay).

But, I have earned a ton of points with the bonus, the promotions, and the credit card. I have some awesome redemptions planned this summer in fantastic properties in Europe using the 5th night free. Maybe my Diamond status will give me some additional perks then.

I didn't actively seek out Diamond, but I will take it for the additional bonus and just maybe, one day, an upgrade. Plus, I can park in the Diamond parking at Hamptons more often

I have tried the Marriott program and have gotten some value out of it, but not nearly as much value as I have gotten out of the Hilton program (based upon my stay patterns, and my priorities).

I don't value Diamond enough to get it via an expensive annual fee credit card, though. So, I agree with most of your points, but wanted to add the benefit of the points bonus.
Daze and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
All I can say is it's a considerably better experience at Hilton properties outside the USA. I suggest you aspire to stay at those and keep your expectations low for within the US.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
When everybody is elite, then nobody is.

US hotels have never been renowned for elite treatment, but with top tier available from a credit card, you really need to manage your expectations accordingly.

And FWIW, international hotels generous to Diamonds are usually just as generous to Golds, so there's no major difference there...
IAN-UK, jamesteroh, LassiJ and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:41 am

I agree with Schwann. The elite perks have always been better outside the US. The status has been pretty seriously downgraded at the US properties over the decade I've been regularly a gold member.
LassiJ likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:43 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Hilton has become quite unappealing to be honest. If they were really going to be sincere about this change, they would at least calculate the credit per person booked times the cost of a continental breakfast at that particular property. Lots of examples where a coffee and muffin blows your credit away. I always tolerated the fact that Hilton presented good value due to the breakfast benefit even without some of the late checkout and suite upgrade benefits enjoyed at other chains. I think that will change in 2022 for sure. Having said that, a lot of properties outside the US still offer decent value. Hotel chains are using the pandemic to reinvent themselves and not in a good way. Free agency is going to look more and more attractive I think.
jmw likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Hilton has become quite unappealing to be honest. If they were really going to be sincere about this change, they would at least calculate the credit per person booked times the cost of a continental breakfast at that particular property. Lots of examples where a coffee and muffin blows your credit away. I always tolerated the fact that Hilton presented good value due to the breakfast benefit even without some of the late checkout and suite upgrade benefits enjoyed at other chains. I think that will change in 2022 for sure. Having said that, a lot of properties outside the US still offer decent value. Hotel chains are using the pandemic to reinvent themselves and not in a good way. Free agency is going to look more and more attractive I think.
Biggest reinvention: we will cease cleaning your rooms and make you make your own bed and take out your own trash for equal or greater price per night.
jmw, mcgahat, kyushuman and 11 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Ok thanks all for the reality check (in the US) and glad to know that I wasn't way off. Totally agree, really enjoyed my overseas Hilton stays. I also remember the Hilton Venice, pre-COVID, and the kids enjoying the full breakfast and then also also of us having snack and evening light fare (basically supper) in the Executive lounge.

I will plan to shift over to the Hyatt Place across the street for the business travel even though it is not a full service hotel but at least their top tier status still gives free breakfast when on holidays with the family. May reconsider moving back to the Hilton when they open the executive lounge.
strickerj and bitterproffit like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
Ok thanks all for the reality check (in the US) and glad to know that I wasn't way off. Totally agree, really enjoyed my overseas Hilton stays. I also remember the Hilton Venice, pre-COVID, and the kids enjoying the full breakfast and then also also of us having snack and evening light fare (basically supper) in the Executive lounge.

I will plan to shift over to the Hyatt Place across the street for the business travel even though it is not a full service hotel but at least their top tier status still gives free breakfast when on holidays with the family. May reconsider moving back to the Hilton when they open the executive lounge.
You do what you gotta do. You and many other travelers know there's never no change. Just as with travel, one adapts.

David
Zurich and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Diamond status was getting underwhelming in the US even before Covid, but at least you could count on the breakfast. The US-based executive lounges have been on a slide for years, as more and more were closing for good and the food offerings got skimpier at the remainder. I haven't tried recently but Diamond status used to get you a marginally later checkout (except at Hamptons). Right now, the most visible benefit to me is the Diamond parking spots at Hamptons. They are on the honor system but I always find an open slot.

As has been stated, Diamond really made a difference overseas, especially in Asia. Hopefully in 2022 I'll get a chance to find out if it still does.
LassiJ likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I came in to search "Is Hilton Diamond worth it?" and came across this thread. I could get Diamond by spending about $300 in next two weeks... but worth it? I know the bar is still reduced next year and nights roll over, but you have to get more nights/stays in 2022 than in 2021. Would you go for it? We travel for work (mostly mid-level properties) and family (a range from Home2 to regular Hilton to the occasional Waldorf Astoria).
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by curl
I came in to search "Is Hilton Diamond worth it?" and came across this thread. I could get Diamond by spending about $300 in next two weeks... but worth it? I know the bar is still reduced next year and nights roll over, but you have to get more nights/stays in 2022 than in 2021. Would you go for it? We travel for work (mostly mid-level properties) and family (a range from Home2 to regular Hilton to the occasional Waldorf Astoria).
More details needed to be honest. As noted above, a lot of properties you could get the same treatment as a Gold as a Diamond. You will not really get anything at a Home2. For the occasional Waldord, you could probably do just as well with a FHR, Impresario and others type booking.

Honestly, I would have a hard time just spending $300 for the sake of Diamond. If I was redirecting $300 from spend I was going to do anyways....then possibly.
curl likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by curl
It appears you’re in the US, so I’d “save” the $300 spend, but get the AMEX Aspire which does have a $450 annual fee w/auto Diamond for as long as you have it. It should be very easy to get $150 in value out of the card between the $250 airline credit, the free night, the $250 resort credit etc.

I sounds like you’re throwing away $300 just to get Diamond when you can probably get it for less for 1 year. If you qualify outside the card next year and don’t see value in keeping the Aspire, just drop the card
curl, mcgahat and DiverDave like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If the card you'd otherwise use for the $300 spend earns 2% cash back, then Diamond would be costing you $6 (less maybe the $4.50 the HHonors points you get are worth). I'd say it's worth that.
volabam likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by miles_navigator

If you can make Hyatt work for you, imo, it's the better program if you care about points or top tier status. The points are actually worth something, and they're not particularly hard to rack up if you're in the Chase UR ecosystem and willing to transfer. They don't play games with their premium rooms either - it's a reasonable upcharge versus Hilton which charges hundreds of thousands of points at random roadside Hampton Inns to get a slightly larger room. Globalist isn't given away like Diamond is with Hilton, either, and it actually means something. That free parking perk on award stays is great, and so is the lounge access/breakfast. The downside is the lack of properties in some areas, and the lower tiers do not have a ton of benefits - breakfast and club access are reserved for globalist.

I think Hyatt is better if you're planning to redeem points, or if you have enough nights through stays and/or spend on the Hyatt card to get globalist. If you primarily pay cash, can't find Hyatts in areas that you stay in frequently, or can't qualify for globalist, I think grabbing a Hilton Aspire card to get diamond for the token perks, the free night certs, and the resort credit makes Hilton the better deal. Even for an infrequent traveler, it's very easy to make the Aspire card cash flow positive versus the $450 annual fee, so why not get diamond status?

The number of diamonds minted by the Aspire, of course, is one reason why diamond has been so watered down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.