Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The most commonly posed questions about the new food/beverage benefit, which is now extended into 2023, are
  • how it works for multi-night stays, and
  • to what extent it applies outside the US
Here's what we do & don't know:
  • The credit does not accumulate over the duration of your stay. For instance, if you stay for 2 nights at a $15/night property, you cannot use the benefit toward a single $30 purchase.
  • Thus, the credit for a given day may only be used on that day. It expires afterward.
    • Hilton's FAQ insists that "[t]he credit does not 'expire' until the member checks out." This is, to put it politely, complete nonsense.
  • The Hilton FAQ states that "the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight." Unfortunately, this addition to the FAQ--made in Spring 2022--raises as many questions as it answers.
    • The Hilton FAQ states explicitly that "for a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure." This would be the sensible approach, but the alleged "midnight reset" policy cannot be reconciled with it.
    • A similar problem exists for any stay of N nights. Unless a guest arrives after midnight on the first night, or departs before midnight on the last night, there will be N+1 "days" (using midnight as the demarcator) but only N usable F&B credits. For example, a guest arrives Monday for a two-night stay. That means the credits may be used only on two of the three "days," those being Monday evening; Tuesday; and Wednesday morning (departure).
  • The benefit terms were revised in December 2022 to cover Motto properties outside the US; previously, the F&B credit applied only to US properties. However, the official T&C now refer more vaguely to “complimentary continental breakfast OR a Daily Food & Beverage Credit (varies by brand and region).” (link)
  • A reputable blogger reported in late December 2022 that the Hilton Fallsview in Canada is also issuing F&B credits in lieu of free breakfast, with Hilton corporate appearing to ratify this decision. (link) In November 2023, a FT member reported the same occurring at the Doubletree Calgary North (link).

*Select markets include the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, New York City, San Francisco, Key Largo, Key West, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

(return to top)

Official Hilton benefit statement/FAQ (updated December 2022):

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What hotels offer the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is available to Gold and Diamond members at all of Hilton’s luxury, full-service and lifestyle properties as well as all Hilton Garden Inn hotels in the United States, and Motto by Hilton globally, replacing the MyWay complimentary continental breakfast benefit.

The brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Motto by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn.

2. Which members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is provided to all Gold and Diamond members that select the F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit. The credit is provided to the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room for each night of their stay. The credit is per person (up to two people) in one guest room per stay.

Members can check their Hilton Honors status and make changes to their MyWay benefits by logging in to their account online at HiltonHonors.com or Hilton Honors mobile app.

3. What are the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit values for each Brand Category?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive a $10 F&B Credit per night when staying at Hilton Garden Inn, a $15 F&B Credit per night at full-service and lifestyle properties, and a $25 F&B Credit per night at luxury properties.

A $18 F&B Credit per night will be provided at full-service and lifestyle properties located in the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, Key West, Key Largo, New York City, San Francisco, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

A $12 F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto By Hilton Tulum and a 10€ F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto by Hilton Rotterdam Blaak.

The full list of participating brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts , LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Canopy by Hilton, Motto by Hilton, and Hilton Garden Inn.

4. Does the Daily F&B Credit impact Hilton brands that offer all guests complimentary breakfast?

Guests staying at Hilton’s brands that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests will continue to receive this offering. The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit does not apply to the following brands: Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton.

5. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work?

Prior to arrival, members will be notified by email or notification through the Hilton Honors app of the complimentary Daily F&B Credit. Members can then log in to their Hilton Honors account online or through the Hilton Honors app to select their preferred MyWay benefit for their next stay – the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit or Hilton Honors Bonus Points.

Upon hotel check-in, the member’s status will be confirmed, and they will be informed by the front desk staff and/or the Hilton Honors app about the Daily F&B Credit including which on-property outlets are participating. Each day of their stay, the Hilton Honors member will charge their eligible F&B purchases to their room, and the credit will be automatically applied to their total bill for those F&B purchases charged to their room.

6. Will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit accrue across days?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is provided to the member (and up to one additional guest registered to the same room) for each night of their stay and does not accrue or rollover from one day to the next if unused.

The daily credit amount may be used in full on the day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items throughout these days until the maximum daily amount is reached.

7. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work for a 1-night stay? Would a member receive two credits (for check-in and check-out day) or one credit?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit for the member and one for the additional guest registered to the same room each night of their stay, consistent with the previous complimentary Continental Breakfast benefit. For a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure. The credit may be used in full/entirety on day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items each day until the maximum daily amount or total stay maximum is reached.

8. Which F&B outlets can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized at all participating F&B outlets on-property, including the market/grab-and-go and in-room dining/room service, where applicable, plus participating third-party outlets. The Daily F&B Credit cannot be utilized for any non-F&B related spend, such as the room rate, spa or gift shops.

9. Can members use the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on alcoholic beverages?

The Daily F&B Credit may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, subject to state and local laws.

10. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on day-rate reservations, such as WorkSpaces by Hilton?

Like the previous elite continental breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit will not apply to day-rate reservations.

11. Will members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on rates/packages that include F&B, such as the Breakfast Included rate?

Yes, Diamond or Gold members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit on Points eligible rates including specific food & beverage rates or packages.

12. Do members who book with a group such as a meeting or conference receive the Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit benefit is provided to Diamond and Gold members, based on their MyWay selection, on Points eligible rates and reward nights.

13. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit apply to taxes and gratuity?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit can be applied to taxes and gratuity.

14. How do members add/register a guest to the reservation?

When booking the reservation through preferred Hilton channels, such as online at Hilton.com or the Hilton Honors app, members should ensure they indicate the total number of people staying in the room to receive up to two Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit allowances.

15. Does the Hilton Honors member receive an additional Daily F&B Credit for double occupancy?

The complimentary Daily F&B Credit is intended to cover up to two guests, which includes the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room (on one room per stay), per night.

16. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized across multiple outlets within a day?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized across multiple outlets within one day. It will be automatically applied against all eligible F&B charges made within that timeframe, up to the total daily credit amount.

17. If members do not have F&B charges, can they apply the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit to the total folio?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit was created to provide guests with more dining-related flexibility, so the credit can only be applied to eligible F&B charges billed to the member’s room.

18. Some members may utilize the hotel restaurants or bar areas for meetings, dinners, etc. without staying at the hotel. Does the Hilton Honors member have to be staying at the hotel to receive the F&B credit?

Hilton Honors members, even if utilizing hotel facilities such as a restaurant or bar area, must be a registered guest of the hotel to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

19. Do members receive the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit on redemption/reward stays?

Yes, Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Daily F&B Credit on hotel reward stays, both reservations booked with all Points or Points & Money.

20. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit at all-inclusive properties?

Like the previous elite Continental Breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is not offered at all-inclusive properties.

21. If a member selects Points over the Daily F&B Credit on a reservation with a registered guest, do they receive double Points?

The Hilton Honors Bonus Points selection via MyWay Benefits is a one-time bonus per stay, regardless of the number of guests.

22. Can a guest make a change to their MyWay benefit mid-stay to receive the Daily F&B Credit?

No, Hilton Honors members should make their MyWay benefit selections prior to check-in or during arrival in order to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

23. When does the credit expire each day?

The credit does not “expire” until the member checks out. However, the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight. Members can use up to the total daily maximum and are responsible for anything beyond that amount.

Since the member gets a new credit each day (for the number of nights of their stay), the only day they can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out. (return to top)

24. How will the complimentary Daily F&B Credit appear on my hotel bill/folio?

The total eligible Daily F&B Credit amount used and billed to the room during a member’s stay will be automatically applied and appear as one line item per day on a member’s hotel bill/folio, deducted from the total stay cost at the end of their stay.

25. How will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be handled at hotels with Executive Lounges?

At hotels that have an Executive Lounge that offers complimentary breakfast, Diamond members and Gold members upgraded to Executive Lounge access will not receive the Daily F&B Credit. These hotels will provide the Daily F&B Credit to Gold members not upgraded to Executive Lounge access.
(return to top)
Print Wikipost

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I have had numerous hotels ask me where the second person is and tell me that if they do not show up the additional free credit will be removed at check-out.
What properties? I use online check in a lot and the front desk lines are so backed up at some properties, I can't imagine the front desk staff would want to deal with it.

I've never been asked for the second guest to go to the front desk.

Only time I ever had something like that happen was at a property I was at once where a friend on the reservation arrived before me and they wouldn't key his room for the exec lounge or give him the wifi code until I arrived. They were having issues with diamonds booking rooms in their name and adding a second guest who was the person staying in the room so they could get the diamond benefits.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I didn't say they did. I said I wouldn't be surprised if Hilton eliminates this benefit and starts charging for a second guest in the room if they keep up with the F&B credit since it's costing a property more money per night having two people in the room. In addition to the F&B credit, they are also paying to launder more linens, etc.
My husband uses one towel, same sheets. Not exactly a hardship for a hotel.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I too have yet to have this kind of experience, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some petty hotel owners/managers/employees that make a stink at times anyway.
The front desk is always so backed up at most properties, a lot of people just use online check in anyway. I can't imagine a property would want to tie up their front desk staff like that and create even longer lines. I think hotels would have a lot bigger problem with diamonds booking rooms for their friends and having their friends as a second guest checking in and staying to get the benefits. I've had a few stays where friends where sharing the room and would arrive before me, and only had one hotel demand I go to the front desk before keying my friends card for the exec lounge and giving him the wifi code.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Can't be spent on the first day, can't be spent on the last day. Who honestly came up with this nonsense?
We had a similar issue at the Beverly Hilton, except it was a pick-your-day scenario that wasn't communicated accurately at check-in. Their F&B right now is $20, so for the two of us it was $40.

At check-in, I was told the credit can be used each day, including the check-out day. I was surprised thinking for sure it wouldn't apply night of check-in. I asked the check-in clerk to clarify, "are you saying the credit can be used tonight as its own day, AND every day of the stay, AND on the morning of check-out"? She clearly said yes. I believed her (it was after 9pm at that point and we were probably too tired to think clearly). Ordered appetizers in-room that night and had breakfast the next 3 mornings, including check-out. Credit was applied to the first 3 days, but not day of check-out.

The explanation at check-out was that the credit can be used on each day of your stay, BUT you must pick if you're going to use it on the day of check-in or check-out, but not both. If that is the hotel's policy, fine, we would have gone along with it had it been communicated clearly. I admit that I should've realized it was rather unusual to get the credit for each and every day of the stay, but the check-in staff should not be clueless to how the benefit works.

They were nice enough to still honor that extra credit as a goodwill gesture, but I would have preferred to not have had to go through all that in the first place. I guess the lesson here is to double check with someone else the next day.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by listorganizer
We had a similar issue at the Beverly Hilton, except it was a pick-your-day scenario that wasn't communicated accurately at check-in. Their F&B right now is $20, so for the two of us it was $40.

At check-in, I was told the credit can be used each day, including the check-out day. I was surprised thinking for sure it wouldn't apply night of check-in. I asked the check-in clerk to clarify, "are you saying the credit can be used tonight as its own day, AND every day of the stay, AND on the morning of check-out"? She clearly said yes. I believed her (it was after 9pm at that point and we were probably too tired to think clearly). Ordered appetizers in-room that night and had breakfast the next 3 mornings, including check-out. Credit was applied to the first 3 days, but not day of check-out.

The explanation at check-out was that the credit can be used on each day of your stay, BUT you must pick if you're going to use it on the day of check-in or check-out, but not both. If that is the hotel's policy, fine, we would have gone along with it had it been communicated clearly. I admit that I should've realized it was rather unusual to get the credit for each and every day of the stay, but the check-in staff should not be clueless to how the benefit works.

They were nice enough to still honor that extra credit as a goodwill gesture, but I would have preferred to not have had to go through all that in the first place. I guess the lesson here is to double check with someone else the next day.
The Beverly Hilton has had this system in place for many years ($20/$40 per each night of stay - no “picking” necessary). I stay there often, and not once has there been an issue with proper application of the credit. The FD staff is quite familiar with the process, IME.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:38 pm

The error here is the notion that one can have N+1 credit-days for a stay of N nights.

If you use the credit on both the arrival day and the departure day, you have to skip one day in the middle (where “day” = midnight to midnight period as stated, problematcally, in the Hilton FAQ).

See the wiki for more discussion.

The explanation at check-out was that the credit can be used on each day of your stay, BUT you must pick if you're going to use it on the day of check-in or check-out, but not both.
Except in the special case of a one-night stay—where you must indeed pick which “day” you will use the single available credit—this is a clear violation of the Hilton benefit rules.

Unfortunately, this confusion will recur over and over at innumerable properties, as it follows naturally from Hilton’s insane decision to define a benefit “day” as midnight to midnight.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:44 pm

"as it follows naturally from Hilton’s insane decision to define a benefit “day” as midnight to midnight."

The insane decision was starting this whole mess in the first place. No one ever got confused by "free Continental breakfast for Gold and Diamonds".
Mikey likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
"as it follows naturally from Hilton’s insane decision to define a benefit “day” as midnight to midnight."

The insane decision was starting this whole mess in the first place. No one ever got confused by "free Continental breakfast for Gold and Diamonds".
Will counsel stipulate that there are multiple layers of insanity involved?

It’s true that the basic change in policy has opened up new opportunities for gouging/gamesmanship by properties (e.g., jacking up menu prices and/or funny business with which on-premises outlets, such as the 24/7 lobby mini-store, allow use of the F&B benefit). But the choice to use midnight as the time each daily credit expires—as opposed to the standard checkin or checkout time, either of which would have made the benefit appreciably easier for guests to understand and properties to administer—truly shines forth as a spectacular own goal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor

I look at it as you get a $20 credit per paid night.
Just like under the old program you got a free continental breakfast each morning...

The confusion on this whole program this far in continues to really make me wonder what the end game here is... I see the benefit just going away.
jamesteroh and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Hilton Sedona

Pretty weak options for an $18 credit. They at least had a coffee shop with breakfast sandwiches as well.
Mikey and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Hilton Sedona

Pretty weak options for an $18 credit. They at least had a coffee shop with breakfast sandwiches as well.
I see the "Continental" is exactly $18. I'd be thrilled if the places I stayed didn't make you pay more out of pocket than what the old benefit was supposed to be.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer
I look at it as you get a $20 credit per paid night.
Just like under the old program you got a free continental breakfast each morning...

The confusion on this whole program this far in continues to really make me wonder what the end game here is... I see the benefit just going away.
Absolutely, agreed, no end game here on my part. Not complaining at all about the credit or what type of credit. I'm fine with whatever it happens to be or not be. However, if the hotel participates in this program, the only issue for me is that the policy should be clearly communicated by the FD staff. In my case, the check-in and check-out clerks contradicted each other, so I have no idea what the actual policy is at this hotel. Regardless, I was also very appreciative that it all worked out and they made the "correction".

I would rather go with whatever the policy is, rather than deal with fixing it after the fact. That is frustrating and annoying to everyone involved, including the staff.

Of course, I was wrong to believe the credit was for 4 days instead of 3 nights, but if I'm told something by a reputable establishment such as this one I'm inclined to believe it.
SPN Lifer and lgormley like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I see the "Continental" is exactly $18. I'd be thrilled if the places I stayed didn't make you pay more out of pocket than what the old benefit was supposed to be.
But $18 for a croissant, a fruit cup, juice and coffee? C'mon. Ridiculous.
Mikey and lgormley like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
But $18 for a croissant, a fruit cup, juice and coffee? C'mon. Ridiculous.
Sure, I agree. But stayed at the Oceana where the ONLY breakfast available was the $60 buffet for your $25 credit.

This just goes and points up how ridiculous this "benefit" is....it's no where near what you need to cover what you used to get for free, but in this case it actually is. Think about it, back when you got the cont bkfst included because you were Elite, did you ever ask or care what it would have cost? No, it was just "breakfast".
Old Jul 6, 2022, 1:17 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Sure, I agree. But stayed at the Oceana where the ONLY breakfast available was the $60 buffet for your $25 credit.

This just goes and points up how ridiculous this "benefit" is....it's no where near what you need to cover what you used to get for free, but in this case it actually is. Think about it, back when you got the cont bkfst included because you were Elite, did you ever ask or care what it would have cost? No, it was just "breakfast".
Technically a free continental is all the program was ever required to give, so loosely, yes, the $18 for that and the $18 credit is right on.

We often got something better than a continental before but a continental was all we were ever entitled to per the program terms. Easy to forget that after so many properties gave something better. I am guilty of forgetting it too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.