Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The most commonly posed questions about the new food/beverage benefit, which is now extended into 2023, are
  • how it works for multi-night stays, and
  • to what extent it applies outside the US
Here's what we do & don't know:
  • The credit does not accumulate over the duration of your stay. For instance, if you stay for 2 nights at a $15/night property, you cannot use the benefit toward a single $30 purchase.
  • Thus, the credit for a given day may only be used on that day. It expires afterward.
    • Hilton's FAQ insists that "[t]he credit does not 'expire' until the member checks out." This is, to put it politely, complete nonsense.
  • The Hilton FAQ states that "the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight." Unfortunately, this addition to the FAQ--made in Spring 2022--raises as many questions as it answers.
    • The Hilton FAQ states explicitly that "for a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure." This would be the sensible approach, but the alleged "midnight reset" policy cannot be reconciled with it.
    • A similar problem exists for any stay of N nights. Unless a guest arrives after midnight on the first night, or departs before midnight on the last night, there will be N+1 "days" (using midnight as the demarcator) but only N usable F&B credits. For example, a guest arrives Monday for a two-night stay. That means the credits may be used only on two of the three "days," those being Monday evening; Tuesday; and Wednesday morning (departure).
  • The benefit terms were revised in December 2022 to cover Motto properties outside the US; previously, the F&B credit applied only to US properties. However, the official T&C now refer more vaguely to “complimentary continental breakfast OR a Daily Food & Beverage Credit (varies by brand and region).” (link)
  • A reputable blogger reported in late December 2022 that the Hilton Fallsview in Canada is also issuing F&B credits in lieu of free breakfast, with Hilton corporate appearing to ratify this decision. (link) In November 2023, a FT member reported the same occurring at the Doubletree Calgary North (link).

*Select markets include the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, New York City, San Francisco, Key Largo, Key West, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

(return to top)

Official Hilton benefit statement/FAQ (updated December 2022):

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What hotels offer the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is available to Gold and Diamond members at all of Hilton’s luxury, full-service and lifestyle properties as well as all Hilton Garden Inn hotels in the United States, and Motto by Hilton globally, replacing the MyWay complimentary continental breakfast benefit.

The brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Motto by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn.

2. Which members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is provided to all Gold and Diamond members that select the F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit. The credit is provided to the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room for each night of their stay. The credit is per person (up to two people) in one guest room per stay.

Members can check their Hilton Honors status and make changes to their MyWay benefits by logging in to their account online at HiltonHonors.com or Hilton Honors mobile app.

3. What are the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit values for each Brand Category?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive a $10 F&B Credit per night when staying at Hilton Garden Inn, a $15 F&B Credit per night at full-service and lifestyle properties, and a $25 F&B Credit per night at luxury properties.

A $18 F&B Credit per night will be provided at full-service and lifestyle properties located in the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, Key West, Key Largo, New York City, San Francisco, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

A $12 F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto By Hilton Tulum and a 10€ F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto by Hilton Rotterdam Blaak.

The full list of participating brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts , LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Canopy by Hilton, Motto by Hilton, and Hilton Garden Inn.

4. Does the Daily F&B Credit impact Hilton brands that offer all guests complimentary breakfast?

Guests staying at Hilton’s brands that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests will continue to receive this offering. The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit does not apply to the following brands: Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton.

5. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work?

Prior to arrival, members will be notified by email or notification through the Hilton Honors app of the complimentary Daily F&B Credit. Members can then log in to their Hilton Honors account online or through the Hilton Honors app to select their preferred MyWay benefit for their next stay – the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit or Hilton Honors Bonus Points.

Upon hotel check-in, the member’s status will be confirmed, and they will be informed by the front desk staff and/or the Hilton Honors app about the Daily F&B Credit including which on-property outlets are participating. Each day of their stay, the Hilton Honors member will charge their eligible F&B purchases to their room, and the credit will be automatically applied to their total bill for those F&B purchases charged to their room.

6. Will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit accrue across days?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is provided to the member (and up to one additional guest registered to the same room) for each night of their stay and does not accrue or rollover from one day to the next if unused.

The daily credit amount may be used in full on the day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items throughout these days until the maximum daily amount is reached.

7. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work for a 1-night stay? Would a member receive two credits (for check-in and check-out day) or one credit?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit for the member and one for the additional guest registered to the same room each night of their stay, consistent with the previous complimentary Continental Breakfast benefit. For a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure. The credit may be used in full/entirety on day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items each day until the maximum daily amount or total stay maximum is reached.

8. Which F&B outlets can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized at all participating F&B outlets on-property, including the market/grab-and-go and in-room dining/room service, where applicable, plus participating third-party outlets. The Daily F&B Credit cannot be utilized for any non-F&B related spend, such as the room rate, spa or gift shops.

9. Can members use the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on alcoholic beverages?

The Daily F&B Credit may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, subject to state and local laws.

10. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on day-rate reservations, such as WorkSpaces by Hilton?

Like the previous elite continental breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit will not apply to day-rate reservations.

11. Will members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on rates/packages that include F&B, such as the Breakfast Included rate?

Yes, Diamond or Gold members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit on Points eligible rates including specific food & beverage rates or packages.

12. Do members who book with a group such as a meeting or conference receive the Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit benefit is provided to Diamond and Gold members, based on their MyWay selection, on Points eligible rates and reward nights.

13. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit apply to taxes and gratuity?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit can be applied to taxes and gratuity.

14. How do members add/register a guest to the reservation?

When booking the reservation through preferred Hilton channels, such as online at Hilton.com or the Hilton Honors app, members should ensure they indicate the total number of people staying in the room to receive up to two Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit allowances.

15. Does the Hilton Honors member receive an additional Daily F&B Credit for double occupancy?

The complimentary Daily F&B Credit is intended to cover up to two guests, which includes the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room (on one room per stay), per night.

16. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized across multiple outlets within a day?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized across multiple outlets within one day. It will be automatically applied against all eligible F&B charges made within that timeframe, up to the total daily credit amount.

17. If members do not have F&B charges, can they apply the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit to the total folio?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit was created to provide guests with more dining-related flexibility, so the credit can only be applied to eligible F&B charges billed to the member’s room.

18. Some members may utilize the hotel restaurants or bar areas for meetings, dinners, etc. without staying at the hotel. Does the Hilton Honors member have to be staying at the hotel to receive the F&B credit?

Hilton Honors members, even if utilizing hotel facilities such as a restaurant or bar area, must be a registered guest of the hotel to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

19. Do members receive the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit on redemption/reward stays?

Yes, Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Daily F&B Credit on hotel reward stays, both reservations booked with all Points or Points & Money.

20. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit at all-inclusive properties?

Like the previous elite Continental Breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is not offered at all-inclusive properties.

21. If a member selects Points over the Daily F&B Credit on a reservation with a registered guest, do they receive double Points?

The Hilton Honors Bonus Points selection via MyWay Benefits is a one-time bonus per stay, regardless of the number of guests.

22. Can a guest make a change to their MyWay benefit mid-stay to receive the Daily F&B Credit?

No, Hilton Honors members should make their MyWay benefit selections prior to check-in or during arrival in order to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

23. When does the credit expire each day?

The credit does not “expire” until the member checks out. However, the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight. Members can use up to the total daily maximum and are responsible for anything beyond that amount.

Since the member gets a new credit each day (for the number of nights of their stay), the only day they can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out. (return to top)

24. How will the complimentary Daily F&B Credit appear on my hotel bill/folio?

The total eligible Daily F&B Credit amount used and billed to the room during a member’s stay will be automatically applied and appear as one line item per day on a member’s hotel bill/folio, deducted from the total stay cost at the end of their stay.

25. How will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be handled at hotels with Executive Lounges?

At hotels that have an Executive Lounge that offers complimentary breakfast, Diamond members and Gold members upgraded to Executive Lounge access will not receive the Daily F&B Credit. These hotels will provide the Daily F&B Credit to Gold members not upgraded to Executive Lounge access.
(return to top)
Print Wikipost

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
This will make me a hotel free agent going forward. I had held off thinking Hilton would listen to feedback. Found “taking to heart member feedback since rolling out the benefit" to be laughable. I wish Hyatt had a bigger footprint so I could move over.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was pretty skeptical of the credit when this rolled out, but I have to say I've been really happy with it. And I'm someone who consistently booked with Hilton for years because of the breakfast benefit.

It's great to have the option to use the credit later in the day for days that I either don't want breakfast or otherwise can't use it.

That said, I do think there should be some standard required by Hilton where a reasonable breakfast is available to elites fully covered by the credit the property offers, to avoid everyone jacking up prices so you can't get more than a coffee for free.
kklems, ijgordon, fwfdan and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Marriott picked the perfect day to email me a 22,500 point promo offer.

I’m Diamond with Hilton through Mar ‘23, and halfway there for ‘23-24. That’s plenty of room to explore free agency. Just moved about 15 nights out of Hilton properties for Jan/Feb.

It’s partly because of the reduction in benefits. It’s mostly because Hilton has, IMO, demonstrated contempt/disdain for hotel guests through the entire rollout and implementation of this program.

I’m well aware that the grass is not greener… and I’ll likely still have several Hilton nights each year… but I will no longer blindly book HH-flagged properties.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Another disappointed customer that HGI's hot breakfast still won't be covered with this credit. I wish the breakfast would just be covered in lieu of the credit.
Mikey and holmedown like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Hilton has 6500 hotels worldwide, with 850 of those being HGI. Somehow 50% of the stays here are HGI.

Originally Posted by dmarge18
The problem is, increasing the amounts won't matter when the hotels raise the cost of breakfast/coffee, etc., to match
Believe it or not, there are guests that will pay for hotel breakfasts. Some from even outside the hotel. Raising the price interferes with that. Also, by the same token on a "what if" scenario, what is to stop "free breakfast" hotels from lowering their quality or raising their rates?

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
To put this another way: Hyatt’s low/standard/high award prices impacts my wallet more than this change… I’m not boycotting Hyatt though.
In the land of travel, people love their "free" but rarely will ever consider the bottom line price. Even when the bottom line is not always the best, some are also more mindful than "never ever"ing an entire brand again.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craig44485
I think HGI's will bare the brunt of this policy. Whenever I had a choice with similar rates and location, I would always chose HGI over HI for the cooked to order breakfast. Since the implementation of this policy I have yet to stay in any HGI, opting for HI or even Tru. Sad news because I did always enjoy the HGI breakfast, and I am pretty certain that $10 will not cover the cost of it at many of the HGI's, from my experience it is usually $15 and up depending on location.
Yep.

The HGI I often stayed at in DC will now give me a $10 credit a day. That buys coffee and toast for breakfast, or almost a single drink from the bar at night.

Two buildings down the street from that HGI is a nice Embassy Suites. That ES currently gives me a full breakfast every day and two free (cheap) drinks a night. Plus a larger room. At rates that are usually comparable to the HGI. It also has an in-house bar and restaurant (with a somewhat more limited menu than the HGI).

Why should I ever stay at that HGI again?
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So IHG doesn’t give any elite benefits at all on an award stay- no upgrades, etc. I had an upgrade and made good use of my F/B credit at an LXR (solo stay but room was 2 people, so $50- of course it was Santa Monica so overpriced… but good quality at least).

I would blame someone who cuts their nose to spite their face, so I don’t prioritize IHG, Marriott is good and Bonvoyed by now, and Hyatt has too limited a footprint for me (Globalist is the only meaningful status there, and it would be LOL comedy to do 60 nights, or even 30 with lots of credit card spend), but if it works for you, good for you. My inclination is to keep the Hilton Aspire as long as it makes sense (still does even with these changes), and keep booking opportunistically wherever: Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, Hotels.com, Capital One booking engine… my loyalty still will always be to my wallet.

To put this another way: Hyatt’s low/standard/high award prices impacts my wallet more than this change… I’m not boycotting Hyatt though.
FWIW I've done well on elite upgrades as an IHG Spire, especially at Kimptons which is a brand I really like. I also like HIX properties especially when I'm staying with my family. The newer construction ones are really good hotels and often exist near early generation Hampton Inns that I'm all too happy to avoid.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Hilton has 6500 hotels worldwide, with 850 of those being HGI. Somehow 50% of the stays here are HGI.
The proper comparison is of properties in the US, since the policy only applies in the US.

There are 737 HGIs in the United States. The other brands this applies to are W-A, Conrad, Doubletree, Hilton, Curio, Tapestry, LXR, Canopy, Motto, and Signia. Together, those properties have 821 US locations.

so 50% would be pretty darn close.
​​​​​​
GUWonder, beltway and twitch76 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The proper comparison is of properties in the US, since the policy only applies in the US.

There are 737 HGIs in the United States. The other brands this applies to are W-A, Conrad, Doubletree, Hilton, Curio, Tapestry, LXR, Canopy, Motto, and Signia. Together, those properties have 821 US locations.

so 50% would be pretty darn close.
​​​​​​
Additionally, it should surprise no-one that the guests most negatively impacted (HGI guests) would be the most vocal in sharing their experiences. So it makes sense if the thread seems HGI heavy.
Adam1222, craig44485 and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Doppy
I was pretty skeptical of the credit when this rolled out, but I have to say I've been really happy with it. And I'm someone who consistently booked with Hilton for years because of the breakfast benefit.

It's great to have the option to use the credit later in the day for days that I either don't want breakfast or otherwise can't use it.

That said, I do think there should be some standard required by Hilton where a reasonable breakfast is available to elites fully covered by the credit the property offers, to avoid everyone jacking up prices so you can't get more than a coffee for free.
Same here, its overall a win from my perspective. Not a huge breakfast person and would prefer to get out and explore the locality for a nice coffee/pastry/bagel when I'm on vacay (particularly somewhere like NYC), and Starbucks/Dunkin grab and go to client site when I'm travelling for work. This works perfectly for me to grab a nightcap, pantry items or take most of the cost off an app.

I do think this will result in Hamptons cannibalizing HGIs for competing stays though, definitely think the ball was dropped on that considering one of the HGI USPs for elites was a hot cooked to order breakfast.
ijgordon and catawba like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:54 pm

Of course I know that this lousy policy applies to US properties, but I recently got back at Hilton during my last trip to Central Europe (Germany, Holland mainly) & UK by staying at several Premier Inn properties - much larger rooms, priced better than the Hilton equivalents (HGI & Hampton) albeit without any breakfast included
englisha likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:30 pm

Their plan of one credit amount for one registered guest, double credit amount for two registered guests makes no sense.

A room typically costs $XXX whether you have one or two people. Shouldn't a hotel want to incentivize guests traveling alone (less wear and tear, less water usage, less noise) over guests traveling in pairs? Why do I, just because I travel alone, get half the amount of room credit than someone that travels with someone else when I have paid the same amount to the hotel?

And how in reality do they police how many people are staying in the room? If I select two guests during the reservation, do I automatically get the full credit or do they check to see if another guest is also staying? What if my guest shows up after I check in?
BigFishDave and catawba like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Their plan of one credit amount for one registered guest, double credit amount for two registered guests makes no sense.

A room typically costs $XXX whether you have one or two people. Shouldn't a hotel want to incentivize guests traveling alone (less wear and tear, less water usage, less noise) over guests traveling in pairs? Why do I, just because I travel alone, get half the amount of room credit than someone that travels with someone else when I have paid the same amount to the hotel?

And how in reality do they police how many people are staying in the room? If I select two guests during the reservation, do I automatically get the full credit or do they check to see if another guest is also staying? What if my guest shows up after I check in?
See numerous previous posts in this forum regarding this issue.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

They don't police it. When I am staying at one of the affected hotels I simply book a room for two. As you say, it makes no difference in the price.
BigFishDave and Single_Flyer like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
FWIW I've done well on elite upgrades as an IHG Spire, especially at Kimptons which is a brand I really like. I also like HIX properties especially when I'm staying with my family. The newer construction ones are really good hotels and often exist near early generation Hampton Inns that I'm all too happy to avoid.
I ain’t gonna make Spire Elite on stays (or really any good elite status, my HH Diamond is by credit card and Marriott Platinum is credit card + wind aided). If I was going to shoot for a top status it would be Hyatt Globalist.

I concur with you on Kimptons and HIXes, which is why I haven’t abandoned IHG… I just find it hard to prioritize now that the promos are very lackluster… and having elite benefits disappear on award stays is rather “meh”. I will say that Hilton’s good about “always be promoting”… one reason why I can’t riot about this (I’m also “meh” about wet eggs and locked up yogurt.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.