Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Property Disabling Room Selection in App

Old Dec 12, 21, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz PresCir

Has anyone ever experienced this? There's a hotel that has been a go-to for me for the better part of a decade that in the last year or so has turned off the ability of guests to choose their own rooms in the app prior to check-in. I had a perfect handle on which rooms I liked and now I get assigned ground floor rooms facing the street. I've never seen this at any other property, usually they'll at least let you choose between bad options if that's all they have.

Is this any kind of violation of the Hilton brand standards or anything like that?
Old Dec 12, 21, 1:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; National EE
Been that way for a better part of a year.

OLCI, for me, nine times out of ten, says no rooms available or something to that effect.

Ive had this experience across most brands. It is what it is. I still believe using OLCI eliminates any opportunity for an upgrade; so I avoid using it as much as possible.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Dec 12, 21, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
I still believe using OLCI eliminates any opportunity for an upgrade; so I avoid using it as much as possible.
That is a hearsay spread around in this forum and has no basis in facts.

Fact: For all my stays during the last two years across the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East and Asia in multiple Conrads, Hiltons and DoubleTrees (including redemptions, no exceptions), where I was not pro-actively upgraded in advance and thus checked in online in my originally reserved room category, I was always subsequently upgraded at the front desk.
Old Dec 12, 21, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aww3583 View Post
Been that way for a better part of a year.

OLCI, for me, nine times out of ten, says no rooms available or something to that effect.

Ive had this experience across most brands. It is what it is. I still believe using OLCI eliminates any opportunity for an upgrade; so I avoid using it as much as possible.
Gotcha, I've only experienced the inability to select a room at this property but admittedly I've been doing mostly Marriott this year so I've only got eight Hilton stays on the year with four of them at this property. Of the other four, all of them let me select a room.
Old Dec 12, 21, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MichaelA380 View Post

Fact: For all my stays during the last two years across the Caribbean, Europe, the Middle East and Asia in multiple Conrads, Hiltons and DoubleTrees (including redemptions, no exceptions), where I was not pro-actively upgraded in advance and thus checked in online in my originally reserved room category, I was always subsequently upgraded at the front desk.
Actually, it does has a basis in facts because different hotels will treat this situation in different ways. Heck, even different employees at the same hotel will treat the situation differently.

Some hotels certainly will unblock a guest who has checked in but not arrived in order to upgrade them. Other hotels will operate on the assumption that if someone went through the trouble to select a specific room, the guest must actually want that room. Therefore, they will not move them.

This could be a case study in business school about how corporate leadership makes decisions without consulting enough operations people to understand how things work out in the real world. In the end, it's the guest that ends up getting penalized for poor implementation of the concept. The problem could be resolved with a simple check box: Click Here to Confirm it is Okay to Change Selected Room to an Upgraded Room, if Available.
clkc86, Zurich and BigFishDave like this.
Old Dec 12, 21, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Check View Post
Has anyone ever experienced this? There's a hotel that has been a go-to for me for the better part of a decade that in the last year or so has turned off the ability of guests to choose their own rooms in the app prior to check-in. I had a perfect handle on which rooms I liked and now I get assigned ground floor rooms facing the street. I've never seen this at any other property, usually they'll at least let you choose between bad options if that's all they have.

Is this any kind of violation of the Hilton brand standards or anything like that?
There is one property I have visited 3 times this year, and each time they would not allow me to select a room. I have seen the message about not being able to select a room appear from time to time at other properties so I didnt bother to ask why at this property.
Old Dec 13, 21, 4:46 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
When did you try to select a room?

I have found several times that when I try to select a room the day before, there were none available and I didn't try to finish the check in. Then when I tried again several hours before arrival there were many options to choose from.
Old Dec 13, 21, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
When did you try to select a room?

I have found several times that when I try to select a room the day before, there were none available and I didn't try to finish the check in. Then when I tried again several hours before arrival there were many options to choose from.
I was trying both the day before and closer to check-in and there were never any rooms across four different stays at the property this year so I finally asked them and they confirmed that they have disabled the functionality.
Old Dec 13, 21, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Properties can restrict room types for app check in/digital key. At the property I work at we restrict certain suite types to have greater control over how they are used or not used. Very much fact, not hersay.
writerguyfl, hhdl and BigFishDave like this.
Old Dec 14, 21, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by The Road Goes On Forever View Post
Very much fact, not hersay.
That was not the purpose of my statement, which you appear to have intentionally misquoted - the discussion was weather OLCI prevents subsequent upgrades, which has nothing to do with the inventory of rooms you discretionally decide to (not) offer for OLCI
Old Dec 14, 21, 9:15 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
That was not the purpose of my statement, which you appear to have intentionally misquoted - the discussion was weather OLCI prevents subsequent upgrades, which has nothing to do with the inventory of rooms you discretionally decide to (not) offer for OLCI
Ok, here's your answer. While OLCI does not officially negate any opportunities for subsequent upgrades, in most situations it will. Why? For starters Hilton's own OnQ front desk training teaches that you shouldn't mess with a reservation where someone has checked in and chosen a room. Why would you? The guest chose THAT room. Meaning if you check into your reservation where a one category room upgrade was already done, don't expect the desk agent(s) working that day to give you another upgrade in advance. Why would they? It's more work for them and it goes against what your trained not to do unless there is an extenuating circumstance.

Writerguyfl's comments are basically spot on with the idea that it's an employee by employee decision. I work at a property where there are only five desk employees and we all handle upgrades differently. Two of the five (GM included in the two) basically won't upgrade anyone, ever, and the rest of us do it situationally based on whether we want to or not. Sure there are properties out there with upgrade policies in place that tell their staffs what they should/shouldn't be doing but overall it's basically each person/shift doing whatever they want.
BigFishDave likes this.

Last edited by The Road Goes On Forever; Dec 14, 21 at 9:21 am

Search this Thread