Search

$5 self park fee? Really

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
$5 self park fee? Really

I just haven't run into this before, but I expect to be told by others that it is annoying, but relatively common.

I just booked a night at the Hilton Garden Inn - Albany (NY) Airport. It is not at the airport, but close by. The booking is a Saturday night in late October. Albany is the state capitol, a ton of hotels in all prices ranges, many downtown ( which this is not). I can't see Albany as a destination either.; we are using it as a stopover on the way to Maine. The room was neither expensive nor cheap at $119 for a king with a senior rate.

The complaint - $5.00 a night for self parking! A decent parking lot, it surrounds the hotel, but really. I still can't quite accept the $25 per night valet fees at some hotels, but $5 a night to park my own car.

OKAY - Rant over!

Last edited by Larrude; Sep 20, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:58 pm

That's the cheapest I've seen for properties that charge for self-park.
BryanIAH, bbbb, dw and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Don't really see how that's different from self-parking fees at any number of other hotels everywhere where parking in the vicinity is generally paid and not free, especially one that's essentially across the street from an airport terminal.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:11 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The airport is not as close as it looks on a map, but the prison is.

I have never stayed at a hotel in the area that charges for self parking, although I guess there could be some.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:05 pm

Programs: HH D
i'm sympathic to your thoughts, but also a fact checker. The hotel is as close as one can get to the airport, along with the Tru by Hilton (where it says: parking is free). It is an eleven minute walk to the airport terminal. No nearby location (except Tru) seems to be available where you could park at all and the airport has long term parking at $6 a day, a rate reduced because of Covid-19 - or garage parking at $10. But $5 today is going to increase by $1, 2 or een 3 every following year.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:52 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

You lost me. This isn't a park and fly rate, this is the rate for staying at the hotel and parking your car while you are there.

If you are flying out of the airport, you wouldn't rent a room just to get a $5 parking fee. If you are flying into the airport, you would take the shuttle to the hotel and not have a self parking fee since you don't have a car.

By the way, I think the eleven minute walk is about right, but on the way to the hotel, it is a steep walk up the drive ( or up the hill if you cut across the grass) to the hotel
FMDXR, Spanish and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Larrude
You lost me. This isn't a park and fly rate, this is the rate for staying at the hotel and parking your car while you are there.

If you are flying out of the airport, you wouldn't rent a room just to get a $5 parking fee. If you are flying into the airport, you would take the shuttle to the hotel and not have a self parking fee since you don't have a car.

By the way, I think the eleven minute walk is about right, but on the way to the hotel, it is a steep walk up the drive ( or up the hill if you cut across the grass) to the hotel
Honestly, if a $5 parking fee for a one-night stay is causing this much angst, you may want to consider other travel alternatives. This just isn't worth the worry, IMO.
bbbb, BryanIAH, Sisosig and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by smmrfld
That's the cheapest I've seen for properties that charge for self-park.
I’m sure it’s been free before.

Some analyst has come in and told them that they can make big money by charging for parking. It’s starts at $5. Next year it’s $7, then $10.

If no other properties near by are charging for parking, I’d call up during the day, and tell them that you noticed the parking charge, and are going to cancel if it’s not waived. Especially for elite members.

If enough people leave reviews, and complain to the front desk, they may just drop it.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
How can the hotel keep people that are not staying at the hotel from using the hotel parking lot as a free airport parking lot?
birdiedouble and writerguyfl like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I stayed there a few years ago and don’t remember any charge for parking.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I stayed there a few years ago and don’t remember any charge for parking.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re..._New_York.html

review from May 2018 mentions parking fee
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jbeckett
How can the hotel keep people that are not staying at the hotel from using the hotel parking lot as a free airport parking lot?
Have a no parking sign except for customers, just like most businesses in the US have. Camera surveillance is a must too. If you see someone parking, and then walking off, then they might need to be towed.

If they have excess parking capacity, I’m sure they could start some stay and park deals. One night of a hotel stay, with up to 7 days parking included for just a $20 bump. Many airport properties do this in PHX.
FMDXR and Larrude like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’m sure it’s been free before.

Some analyst has come in and told them that they can make big money by charging for parking. It’s starts at $5. Next year it’s $7, then $10.

If no other properties near by are charging for parking, I’d call up during the day, and tell them that you noticed the parking charge, and are going to cancel if it’s not waived. Especially for elite members.

If enough people leave reviews, and complain to the front desk, they may just drop it.
Sounds exactly like what I would do in that situation.
Spanish, Larrude and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by FMDXR
Sounds exactly like what I would do in that situation.
Amen to that.

An absolutely preposterous charge!
Larrude likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Many places I have stayed give a placard to put in the front dash of your vehicle. That combined with signs that say "Parking for hotels guests only, all others will be towed"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.