$5 self park fee? Really

Old Sep 20, 21, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I’m sure it’s been free before.

I’d call up during the day, and tell them that you noticed the parking charge, and are going to cancel if it’s not waived. Especially for elite members.

If enough people leave reviews, and complain to the front desk, they may just drop it.
Nothing scientific behind my comment but generally speaking, places that are bold enough, and petty enough, to charge for self parking are usually the ones that could care less about waiving it regardless of status or whether you call or not. Self park fees at limited service properties are the new thing that I expect will continue to spread at airport locations and eventually to other locations where they will make even less sense. I know I've mentioned this before, but a la carte pricing is coming where your rate will get you a bed and past that anything and everything will come with a charge. Parking will no doubt be included as part of that deal. There are franchise companies that are already using this model for their independent properties. It's only a matter of time before they figure out a way to introduce it wide spread to parts of their branded portfolio. Maybe status will get you out of some things but guaranteed it won't cover everything and then it'll be monkey see-monkey do across the industry.
Old Sep 21, 21, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This is a European thing, hotels nearly always charge for parking here. But I always manage to find onstreet parking somewhere. It's none other than a parking fee, but I recall that it's mostly free to park your car in the US. It is annoying, of course, just yet another nickel and diming petty charge. People are grabbing for money like they never were before and it's really obvious.
Larrude, hugolover and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 7:11 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat, MLIfe Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
How can the hotel keep people that are not staying at the hotel from using the hotel parking lot as a free airport parking lot?
A valid room key could be used to activate a parking arm at the entry/exit point of the lot. The RFID room keys have expiration times assigned to them at checkin so that would be what allows a guest to use the lot during their paid stay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 7:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by Spanish View Post
Amen to that.

An absolutely preposterous charge!
You do realize property tax is assessed against the parking lot. The snow on the lot also doesn't plow itself.

Seems like OP made an assumption parking was free and is upset that assumption proved to be false.

Hilton even offers a "Free Parking" filter in search result to filter out hotels that charge for parking.
SPN Lifer and ceebee100 like this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 7:22 am

I've had a few hotels say they charge for parking (suburban hotels with a parking lot) but have never been charged. They've all been Residence Inns.
Old Sep 21, 21, 8:12 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Seems like OP made an assumption parking was free and is upset that assumption proved to be false.
I did not make an assumption that parking was free; I was surprised, after staying at this hotel over 25 times throughout the years and many others similar in upstate, central, and western NY and throughout New England for years ( similar meaning not in a central business district, low to moderate price range, various Hilton brands) and never previously encountering a self service parking fee under those circumstances, to see this fee. The price is not the issue, it is the start of this practice in this region.
Jaimito Cartero and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 8:14 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA Plat / DL & HH Diamond
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Hampton in the Irvine, CA area (Lake Forest) and they did show a $7 self parking fee when I booked it online. At checkout I noticed it wasn't on the bill. Wondered if it was an unpublished Diamond perk?

Every Hilton group related property in the El Toro "Y" area that didn't market itself as SNA airport adjacent (about a dozen) had some sort of self parking charge, and most of them were $7.
Larrude likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
If no other properties near by are charging for parking, I’d call up during the day, and tell them that you noticed the parking charge, and are going to cancel if it’s not waived. Especially for elite members.

If enough people leave reviews, and complain to the front desk, they may just drop it.
I can see it now. People cancelling the $130 room + $5 parking fee for a $150 room that includes parking. Fee avoided! Vote with your lighter wallet!
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 10:52 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I can see it now. People cancelling the $130 room + $5 parking fee for a $150 room that includes parking. Fee avoided! Vote with your lighter wallet!
Actually, I started this post to discuss the concept of a low to moderate priced hotel charging a self parking fee each night. The $5 fee is certainly not a burden in any sense.

There is a Tru by Hilton very close by that has no parking fee and is $18 a night cheaper; I booked the HGI because I like the hotel, I'm just annoyed by the fee
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 21, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: AMEX MR, Southwest, HH Diamond, M Life, Hertz, Amtrak
Was once $10 to self-park at the Rose Tapestry, near OHare Airport. Now it is $25. Valet not available.
Old Sep 21, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: HH D; IHGR P; MB m
Originally Posted by Larrude View Post
You lost me. This isn't a park and fly rate, this is the rate for staying at the hotel and parking your car while you are there.

If you are flying out of the airport, you wouldn't rent a room just to get a $5 parking fee etc.
That's not at all what I was saying. I was responding because you made it sound like it is not an airport hotel, while it is as close to the terminal as one can get. Airport hotels started charging for parking twenty years ago, why should this place be different? I was trying to demonstrate you can't park for free anywhere nearby - except when you decide to stay at the Tru. It appears there's no street parking or anything like that at all nearby. So just pay the $5.
Old Sep 21, 21, 12:56 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Find a parking spot on the street and avoid the fee or cough it up! Parking shouldn't be free anywhere anyway.
Old Sep 21, 21, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Larrude View Post
I did not make an assumption that parking was free; I was surprised, after staying at this hotel over 25 times throughout the years and many others similar in upstate, central, and western NY and throughout New England for years ( similar meaning not in a central business district, low to moderate price range, various Hilton brands) and never previously encountering a self service parking fee under those circumstances, to see this fee. The price is not the issue, it is the start of this practice in this region.
I have stayed at this property a few times and I was also surprised to see the charge appear this year. Unfortunately, this is probably just an additional source of revenue like airline bag fees, which used to be just built into the price. I haven’t stayed in too many capital district properties but unfortunately I have seen this more and more in other regions for properties that are not in downtown business areas.

Originally Posted by Moderator2 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Hampton in the Irvine, CA area (Lake Forest) and they did show a $7 self parking fee when I booked it online. At checkout I noticed it wasn't on the bill. Wondered if it was an unpublished Diamond perk?
Interestingly enough, after being mildly annoyed at the charge it turns out I wasn’t actually charged the $5 at the Albany property either. I believe I did inform them (maybe it was on the app) that I did have a vehicle. Not sure if it’s a diamond thing, if so it’s not published. Note that this property doesn’t actually have a gated lot ( or didn’t 3 months ago), so not sure how they would know you have a car if you don’t tell them. Larrude, after your stay let us know is you are actually charged.

Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Find a parking spot on the street and avoid the fee or cough it up!
Street parking is not a viable option at this and many other properties.

Last edited by hbtr; Sep 21, 21 at 11:10 pm Reason: Clarify
Old Sep 22, 21, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Parking shouldn't be free anywhere anyway.
So, you should pay to park at Costco, the 7-11, church, or your own driveway?

Parking is charged in densely populated places, with no free options. Adding on charges to a property that previously had none for parking, is just another bean counter proposal for increasing rates without being transparent about it.

15-20 years ago, properties were adding on energy charges, or a daily charge for a mini-safe. Now, some properties are trying to charge for using credit cards, or maybe room cleaning. Iím not saying that the creation and upkeep of a parking lot is free, itís just part of the cost of doing business for most properties. Just like paying the receptionist, room cleaners, and engineering to make sure the heating and cooling are working.
Larrude, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 22, 21, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Originally Posted by jbeckett View Post
How can the hotel keep people that are not staying at the hotel from using the hotel parking lot as a free airport parking lot?
Have a no parking sign except for customers, just like most businesses in the US have. Camera surveillance is a must too. If you see someone parking, and then walking off, then they might need to be towed.
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar View Post
Many places I have stayed give a placard to put in the front dash of your vehicle. That combined with signs that say "Parking for hotels guests only, all others will be towed"
Originally Posted by Pittie Pup View Post
A valid room key could be used to activate a parking arm at the entry/exit point of the lot. The RFID room keys have expiration times assigned to them at checkin so that would be what allows a guest to use the lot during their paid stay.
All good answers!

Find a parking spot on the street and avoid the fee or cough it up!
Originally Posted by hbtr View Post
Street parking is not a viable option at this and many other properties.
Such situations are where FlyerTalk creativity comes into play, including adaptive use of public transit when parking remotely.

Search this Thread