Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgraded but upgraded price too!….be vigilant.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors diamond

Stay at Hilton Canary Wharf last night……. The day before I was preupgraded to a junior suite, however I also noticed the price increased from £122 to £208 !
After some email tennis they changed it back to the original price so no problem, apparently when hotels upgrade guests they have to manually change the price back and on this occasion it was missed ( so I was told ).
I would recommended taking a screenshot of original price and room as the reservation email only has a link to current room ( with upgraded price too ) .
This could have caused hassle trying to get the funds back if I hadn’t noticed, just a thought guys.
SanDiego1K, stanj, Sisosig and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by wizla
Stay at Hilton Canary Wharf last night……. The day before I was preupgraded to a junior suite, however I also noticed the price increased from £122 to £208 !
After some email tennis they changed it back to the original price so no problem, apparently when hotels upgrade guests they have to manually change the price back and on this occasion it was missed ( so I was told ).
I would recommended taking a screenshot of original price and room as the reservation email only has a link to current room ( with upgraded price too ) .
This could have caused hassle trying to get the funds back if I hadn’t noticed, just a thought guys.
Thank you for the warning!

Their explanation is dubious to me - if the hotel had to manually change the price back, I would expect this to happen a lot more often!
wizla and SkyLich like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:38 pm

Hilton Honors is excited to launch a new pre-upgrade charge for Elite members!
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Their explanation is dubious to me - if the hotel had to manually change the price back, I would expect this to happen a lot more often!
Of course it is dubious; if what was told to the OP was actually the case, then this thread would be ten years old and have thousands of posts.

In all likelihood an agent was fiddling with rate codes and accidentally moved OP into a different paid rate rather than complimentary upgrade, then concocted a face-saving story, just like the hundreds, if not thousands, of "Hilton corporate policies" that FTers have had explained to them by desk agents over the years...
Old Aug 5, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Have a stay at Hilton Cardiff today, booked price £309 for King Deluxe with Castle View (didn’t want to risk being street side in this hotel).
Pre upgrade showing in app to King Executive and booking price has gone up to £393!! The real kicker is the only available King Executive rooms to check into are street side so we don’t even want the “upgrade”!

will certainly be having a chat with FD when we arrive.

seems odd that there are now two reports of this in quick succession, perhaps some system somewhere is failing?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:09 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Yeah I reported the same happened to me at Hilton Nottingham a few weeks ago but only for a fiver ... it's not like they have much better rooms to upgrade to though
Old Aug 5, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Canary Wharf did exactly the same to me a couple of weeks ago, I had to cancel my trip last minute but they had already upgraded me from an £87 rate to £124 per night. Definitely not a one off mistake!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
This happened to me at 100 Queen's Gate Hotel in London earlier this year. I was upgraded the day before arrival and the price increased as well. I showed the original confirmation email with the original price at check-in and the price was reverted.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
As per the Canary Wharf thread this property is seemingly making quite a few errors in their favour like this. I posted yesterday in that thread about them trying to sneak in an extra £50 per night charge on my room booking a couple of weeks prior to a stay. I spoke to them and they claimed it was a new charge for a child in the room (which has a sofa bed and was not there when booked). I told them I was cancelling, at which point they offered to remove it. I cancelled - not playing games like this with a property.

Pretty sure they are trying to sneak charges in left right and centre in the hope they are not spotted, rather than the error they made it out to be. I believe the operator of this hotel, also operates at least one of the others mentioned above.
Cymro, masmadrid and eqeqeqx like this.

Last edited by RAPC; Aug 6, 2021 at 2:15 am
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I had 2 stays at Canary Wharf in July and was upgraded from entry level "Double Hilton Guestroom" to "King Executive" on both visits, so a 2 step upgrade. I have double-checked and I was charged the originally booked rate.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by AussieInLondon
Have a stay at Hilton Cardiff today, booked price £309 for King Deluxe with Castle View (didn’t want to risk being street side in this hotel).
Pre upgrade showing in app to King Executive and booking price has gone up to £393…
Spoke to the hotel and they said the system automatically applied the rate, it has been swiftly corrected.

Thank you Wizla for drawing attention to this so that I double checked our upgraded rate!
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:08 am

The explanation is not dubious. Every Property Management System (PMS) I've ever used or heard of requires the Front Desk to do something to avoid repricing the rate when upgraded.

But, the procedure one of the most basic things that Front Desk Representatives learn. It's Day 1 or 2 of training. It's literally as simple as clicking a checkbox.

If there are multiple reports of incorrect repricing of what should be complimentary upgrades at the same hotel, I'd bet the cumulative value of my next 10 "free" upgrades that the problem is poor training.
Zurich likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The explanation is not dubious.
Makes sense to me, too. This upgrade in room and pricing happened to me at Hilton hotels in Western Europe. When inquiring the same explanation was offered and the price corrected immediately.
admittedly, I am not sure what would have happened if I did not detect nor asked for rectifying the rate pre-stay.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by AussieInLondon
Spoke to the hotel and they said the system automatically applied the rate, it has been swiftly corrected.

Thank you Wizla for drawing attention to this so that I double checked our upgraded rate!
As a random bit of trivia on how easy this is. Assuming that the property is using OnQ, when a potential repricing situation occurs (be it an upgrade or change in the dates of stay) a two sided box comes up showing you what the current rate is and what the proposed change will be. The right side radio button is the default and if you leave it on that and just click "ok" the rate will change. To keep things the same you need to click the left side radio button and provide a "reason" for keeping things the same/overriding the proposed change. The reason can be anything (my favorites to type are "ok" "why not" or "because") as long as you type something in the box. Then you click "ok" and the rate stays the same.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, two clicks, no staff training or a con.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.