Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Why are Hilton in US so much worse than Hilton branded hotels in other countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are Hilton in US so much worse than Hilton branded hotels in other countries?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:54 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by mrcool1122
It hasn't been mentioned that the Hilton brand in the US and internationally was managed by two separate entities for a long time until like 2006, when the US parent reacquired the formerly independent international franchising company. Aside from all the other good reasons mentioned here, that historical division may also explain some of the different standards.
Agree. International properties were branded as Hilton International and were generally quite aspirational. They were considered 5* with the US properties 4*. I remember being introduced to them thru the TWA mileage program that gave out vouchers with mileage awards for 50% off at Hilton International. I had great experiences long long ago at Hong Kong Hilton International and Amsterdam Hilton International.
Old Jul 13, 2021, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In terms of Hilton in particular I wonder if they should try to tighten their elite benefits. A lot of people both earn Hilton status and get it from credit cards. A lot of people seem to earn status staying at a bunch of DoubleTree, Hampton, etc. Maybe limit free continental breakfast to Diamond, and give a better breakfast allowance to true Diamond (those that earn it with stays). It would hurt me but I think this makes sense
If they did that, then they further reduce the overall value and what I'm willing to pay to stay there. So unless the rates come down, I'm probably going elsewhere.

As it is, the changes in the hotel industry overall are pushing more of our non-business stays to Airbnb and other alternatives.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:56 pm

The Hiltons in Australia, where I’m from, and the Hiltons in Asia and the Middle East, which are the other regions I’ve mostly stayed in Hiltons are clearly pitched as five star hotels.

I don’t know if this is the same in the US.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by camsean
The Hiltons in Australia, where I’m from, and the Hiltons in Asia and the Middle East, which are the other regions I’ve mostly stayed in Hiltons are clearly pitched as five star hotels.

I don’t know if this is the same in the US.
Definitely not in the US. A low percentage of the total portfolio of US Hiltons have any official star rating from Forbes or AAA, the two bureaus most likely to confer a legitimate star rating around here.

I think of a good mainline business hotel (the Hilton/Doubletree brands) as 3-star hotels. But I don't believe Forbes actually gives that rating. AAA does but I'm never really sure if any given hotel actually *has* it - I just know roughly what it looks like, and it looks like a Hilton.

A hotel has to decide whether to go for a 4 or a 5 and then sink a lot of money into preparing for the evaluation of both their hard and soft product. Or conversely, if they were built as a 4 or 5 from the beginning, they have to keep it up and be periodically re-evaluated. I had an acquaintance who was a concierge-in-training at a Ritz that spent year preparing to be evaluated for a star rating. I suspect most W=A's have done this but beyond that, it's pretty rare.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:17 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Definitely not in the US. A low percentage of the total portfolio of US Hiltons have any official star rating from Forbes or AAA, the two bureaus most likely to confer a legitimate star rating around here.
I mean Hilton only has 2 Forbes 5 star hotels in the entire world. St. Regis alone with its 40ish hotels worldwide has almost 6 times more Forbes 5 star hotels than Hilton does across its 6200 hotel portfolio. I don't think Hilton cares at all about luxury.

Edit:

I just counted. Between Waldrof Astoria and Conrad, Hilton has 2 Forbes Five Star hotels and 19 Forbes Four Star hotels. Hilton has 6200+ properties.

St. Regis alone has 11 Forbes Five Star hotels and 17 Forbes Four Star hotels. St. Regis has 46 properties.

Last edited by WasKnown; Jul 15, 2021 at 7:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.