Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Hilton Allow Credit Card Surcharges for US Hotels?

Old May 16, 21, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Just left the Hilton Burlington VT after a 1-night points stay, and in addition to the expected parking fee when the folio was emailed to me there was a surprise $1.00 service fee, $1.50 destination marketing fee and three different credit card surcharges, all less than $1.00.

None of these are listed on the confirmation or the hotel's (mobile) website not were they mentioned at check in or check out (or I would have just paid cash... I really hate CC surcharges).

Planning on emailing the Diamond Desk when I get to the next stop on this road trip, but I thought brand standards prohibited CC surcharges for US properties ... Am I misremembering or had that changed?
Old May 16, 21, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I just did a dummy booking and the taxes and fees are

9.00 % per room, per night
2.00 % per room, per night
$1.50 per room, per night
$1.00 per room, per night
( although the fees are not described)- I find the destination marketing fees becoming more common unfortunately and wish they would be described on the website.

No idea on the different CC surcharges though sorry.

Regards

TBS
cscasi likes this.
Old May 16, 21, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

I just did a dummy booking and the taxes and fees are

9.00 % per room, per night
$1.50 per room, per night
$1.00 per room, per night
( although the fees are not described)- I find the destination marketing fees becoming more common unfortunately and wish they would be described on the website.

No idea on the different CC surcharges though sorry.

Regards

TBS
Was that for a revenue or points stay? For a points stay -- at least in the reservation confirmation -- none of that is disclosed -- the only additional fee is the nightly parking (which itself is a little irritating to be charged for that since the gates on the (city owned) garage were left up so aside from me mentioning I was parking a car no payment would have been collected...I'll check later booking a new res...
Old May 16, 21, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
Was that for a revenue or points stay? For a points stay -- at least in the reservation confirmation -- none of that is disclosed -- the only additional fee is the nightly parking (which itself is a little irritating to be charged for that since the gates on the (city owned) garage were left up so aside from me mentioning I was parking a car no payment would have been collected...I'll check later booking a new res...
Hi,

That was for a revenue stay.

Regards

TBS
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old May 17, 21, 8:56 am

Yeah, they do
Old May 17, 21, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I believe the correct way to say this is - each location is allowed to charge additional when it sees fit. However, it must be disclosed before.
SPN Lifer and cscasi like this.
Old Jul 11, 21, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Hilton in Vermont is charging a credit card surcharge

Points guy posted this. This is absurd. Hopefully other Hltion's don't start doing this. I thought it was against Am Ex's T&C anyway to charge a fee for using a credit card

https://thepointsguy.com/news/hotels...q0seJnS44u0ijA
Old Jul 11, 21, 11:23 am

Programs: United Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
I would be okay with a cash discount at hotels. I will happily pay cash or Venmo if I saved 5-10% off a bill.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 21, 11:27 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Platinum, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Do they accept cash? I have got out of paying credit card surcharges by offering to pay cash and when it turns out that the only way to pay is by card they are forced to remove the surcharge.

The last time I stayed in hotels in Australia and NZ they were also charging credit card surcharges, but they advised to pay in cash (which I am able to put on credit cards as a purchase by using Curve).

Though in the US I suppose the points earning is still worthwhile unless the surcharge is something really ridiculous.
Old Jul 11, 21, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Lots of places charge a cc surcharge. Especially small businesses.
cscasi likes this.
Old Jul 11, 21, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I don’t see the point of businesses adding credit card surcharges - if the credit card cost is a big issue for the business then just increase prices across the board by 2 or 3%.
Grog, cscasi and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 11, 21, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
I donít see the point of businesses adding credit card surcharges - if the credit card cost is a big issue for the business then just increase prices across the board by 2 or 3%.
I assume much like resort fees it is a way to increase the room rate whilst keeping the headline price lower.
Old Jul 11, 21, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I am at this hotel right now. They wonít let you pay cash so you have to pay this ďtax.Ē Itís patently illegal under federal law and likely under Vermont law. Also, only a government entity can charge a tax. Itís too bad as the hotel itself is pretty nice, but I will be calling Hilton corporate as soon as I check out and they will likely be sued and sanctioned

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
I would be okay with a cash discount at hotels. I will happily pay cash or Venmo if I saved 5-10% off a bill.
they wonít allow you to pay cash or any other way except a credit card, which is why this is illegal under federal law (likely Vermont law as well)

Originally Posted by :D! View Post
Do they accept cash? I have got out of paying credit card surcharges by offering to pay cash and when it turns out that the only way to pay is by card they are forced to remove the surcharge.

The last time I stayed in hotels in Australia and NZ they were also charging credit card surcharges, but they advised to pay in cash (which I am able to put on credit cards as a purchase by using Curve).

Though in the US I suppose the points earning is still worthwhile unless the surcharge is something really ridiculous.

No, you canít pay cash. I am at this hotel right now. Itís illegal and I am contacting Hilton as soon as I have my bill showing this ďtaxĒ (only a government entity can charge a tax)
Spiff, bbbb, DiverDave and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 11, 21 at 9:13 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jul 11, 21, 5:37 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts View Post
No, you canít pay cash. I am at this hotel right now. Itís illegal and I am contacting Hilton as soon as I have my bill showing this ďtaxĒ (only a government entity can charge a tax)
you need to contact the state attorneys office, contacting Hilton will not do much.
Old Jul 11, 21, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts View Post
I am at this hotel right now. They wonít let you pay cash so you have to pay this ďtax.Ē Itís patently illegal under federal law and likely under Vermont law. Also, only a government entity can charge a tax. Itís too bad as the hotel itself is pretty nice, but I will be calling Hilton corporate as soon as I check out and they will likely be sued and sanctioned
They are charging a surgcharge and won't let you pay cash?????

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Lots of places charge a cc surcharge. Especially small businesses.
Hilton isn't a small business and most people use a credit card for a hotel. Its also assinine since Am Ex issues a Hilton Branded card.

And I think it has to be disclosed which it sounds like it wasnt in this case.

If I were a hotel I wouldn't want the liability of having cash laying around anyway.

Originally Posted by tobegold View Post
you need to contact the state attorneys office, contacting Hilton will not do much.
And also contact Am Ex and contest the charges since it's not disclosed and not a tax and against Am Ex's terms of service. Also leave a bad review on yelp and TA.
Auto Enthusiast and cscasi like this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 11, 21 at 9:14 pm Reason: Consolidation.

Search this Thread