Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Automatic housekeeping gratuities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic housekeeping gratuities?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm not real sure what a City Attorney does, but I was thinking, wouldn't this be something you would want to report to the state Attorney General office?
Bradhattan likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kabroui
I'm not real sure what a City Attorney does, but I was thinking, wouldn't this be something you would want to report to the state Attorney General office?
You could be right. The role of City Attorney probably varies from one municipality to the next. My thinking was that a more local complaint might be more effective.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by twitch76
I want to be careful that this stays away from a discussion on tipping... I've seen those get out of hand! Having said that, I actually agree with you -- pay people a good wage and reserve gratuities for TRULY EXCEPTIONAL service with no expectation otherwise.

Additionally, I also agree that the ability to easily add housekeeping gratuities to the folio would be a great convenience -- probably for everyone involved (except for those employees who currently choose to underreport their gratuities to Uncle Sam).

Having said that, there needs to be some established, brand-wide policies regarding this:
1) Such a system would have to be opt-in by nature, with the ability for the guest to choose whether or not and how much to tip housekeeping.
2) Clear assurances, possibly with corporate audit, that the gratuities are actually going directly to the housekeeping staff, and are not merely used to supplement the hotel's payroll expenses.
3) An explanation as to whether these tips are pooled and divided among all service staff, or all housekeeping staff, or simply to YOUR housekeeper.
4) If a multi-day stay, an explanation as to whether the tips are divided among all housekeepers who served your room, or go to the housekeeper who serviced your room at the end of your stay.
5) Clear communication about whether or not gratuities added to the folio are taxable, and whether or not they qualify for HH points.
I think we all know the hotel will do none of that. Far too complicated to administer for a start, and it would be too honest.

Probably a step towards another mandatory fee similar to the resort charges the industry managed to introduce.

Look at what the cruise industry is doing. I see the same coming to hotels.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
It would take a lot of nerve for hilton to add a mandatoy tip for housekeeping seeing they don't provide the service every day.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:19 am

This actually has more interest than you think. This one hotel franchise says the solution to the current labor shortage is guests tipping more, and pre-authorizing tips at check-in is one way to do it. Adding a mandatory gratuity (which seems to be posed as a taxed service charge) without being disclosed up front is a whole different issue.

Hotel Chain CEO Wants Guests To Tip More | One Mile at a Time
twitch76 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
This actually has more interest than you think. This one hotel franchise says the solution to the current labor shortage is guests tipping more, and pre-authorizing tips at check-in is one way to do it. Adding a mandatory gratuity (which seems to be posed as a taxed service charge) without being disclosed up front is a whole different issue.

Hotel Chain CEO Wants Guests To Tip More | One Mile at a Time
The Hilton in Lima charges a service fee that is to go to the staff. I didn't know about that my first stay there and tipped the staff as normal.

Hopefully they disclose this at check in. If Hilton wants us to tip the housekeeping staff and then it should be the same $ amount for every guest and not based on number of stays or room rate since no one is getting daily service.

Instead of charging me more for housekeeping they should be giving us a discount since we have to go to the front desk and wait in line if we want fresh towels or more soap
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Originally Posted by twitch76
Yes. The City Attorney.

To be clear, I don’t expect him to do anything. But I’m not convinced that this wasn’t outright illegal. By emailing the City Attorney and copying the GM on my email, the GM may consider how problematic the policy is.
Is the $7.50 "Service Charge" my local Honda dealer is now adding to the invoice illegal also?

Last edited by KenH_Atlanta; Jun 28, 2021 at 11:15 am Reason: edited for clarity
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by KenH_Atlanta
Is the $7.50 "Service Charge" my local Honda dealer is now adding to the invoice illegal also?
What service is he providing?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
What service is he providing?
None beyond the oil change, tire rotation, etc. that I am already paying for.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
None beyond the oil change, tire rotation, etc. that I am already paying for.
Ask him to remove it? Or make a joke around happy ending?
notquiteaff and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by kabroui
Until this new fee is spelled out on the Hilton booking site and it is included in the summary of anticipated charges when booking (along with taxes, resort fees, and other stuff), the practice is a classic bait-and-switch.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Was it disclosed to you with the estimate when you booked the service?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
. This one hotel franchise says the solution to the current labor shortage is guests tipping more, and pre-authorizing tips at check-in is one way to do it.
Why is it so god damn backwards in the USA?
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

City attorneys in the US generally only represent the city government in legal matters and sometimes prosecute misdemeanor crimes. I don't think they would get involved in something like this. The Bureau of Consumer Protection might be a better agency to report it to. If they get a number of complaints, they may look into it.
funnyfarm299 and twitch76 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Schwann
Why is it so god damn backwards in the USA?
Have you met us? Many of us are stuck in the '50's.
jtc246 and burnerx213 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.