Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hampton Inn Jackson Hole. Outdated and Over Priced

Hampton Inn Jackson Hole. Outdated and Over Priced

Old May 31, 2021, 4:52 pm
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Hampton Inn Jackson Hole. Outdated and Over Priced

Here is my review for the one night stay at Hampton Inn Jackson Hole, WY.

Hampton Inn Jackson Hole, WY. Outdated. Avoid

It is puzzling to see that it continues to charge close to $500/night rate. And some nights are fully booked. The nearby Homewood Suite is priced even higher at $700/night.

I just wonder if this has been ongoing rate. Or this is only high this year due to the start of the travel?

I probably would not have stayed there with its being such an old property. It is really old. Maybe some of the lodges in Teton villages are also very old?

Not sure how old/new the Homewood Suite is....
RedSun is offline  
Old May 31, 2021, 6:27 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Posts: 15,641
The Hampton Inn in Jackson opened ~ 2012. It and the Homewood and other properties in Town of Jackson and surrounding area benefit from a lack of private land and a dearth of not just chain hotel rooms but any hotel rooms. That is why people often suggest that people considering booking these properties should consider using points as the rates are not based upon the luxuriousness of these properties but on the fact that there are limited choices in the area. Between the Hampton and the Homewood, the Homewood is the better choice but the Homewood only has ~40 rooms and these are often booked far in advance in season. You could choose some of the more upper scale properties in the area but your rate would be in the 4 figures per night and you may find that those properties (e.g., Amangani ~$2k/night) are not even available in season. You could also choose one of the few old style motor lodges (a few have converted to condos) for less than the Hampton but you may find yourself wishing for the Hampton as some of those properties are really old and tired.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old May 31, 2021, 6:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway, Maine
Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Posts: 1,472
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The Hampton Inn in Jackson opened ~ 2012. It and the Homewood and other properties in Town of Jackson and surrounding area benefit from a lack of private land and a dearth of not just chain hotel rooms but any hotel rooms. That is why people often suggest that people considering booking these properties should consider using points as the rates are not based upon the luxuriousness of these properties but on the fact that there are limited choices in the area. Between the Hampton and the Homewood, the Homewood is the better choice but the Homewood only has ~40 rooms and these are often booked far in advance in season. You could choose some of the more upper scale properties in the area but your rate would be in the 4 figures per night and you may find that those properties (e.g., Amangani ~$2k/night) are not even available in season. You could also choose one of the few old style motor lodges (a few have converted to condos) for less than the Hampton but you may find yourself wishing for the Hampton as some of those properties are really old and tired.
This is great information. Thanks!
ChinaShrek is offline  
Old May 31, 2021, 9:04 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 10,886
This is not limited to JH.
Generic hotels close to parks (JH, Springdale, Moab, anything near Yellowstone) have been going for $300-600 on weekends in high season since last summer.
azepine00 is offline  
Old May 31, 2021, 9:38 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: It's hot here
Posts: 4,239
I figured it was always like that. I paid $350 a night for a Holiday Inn just outside of Yellowstone in 2017. ​​I think anytime I've been to the National Parks in the west, times that I haven't been able to book far in advance I've paid a pretty penny and fully expected to do so. Those areas just have such limited availability.

We drove down to JH and spent the day there but didn't stay overnight. I'll definitely keep this information in mind if I ever actually stay there. That is exactly the type of thing that I earn points for.
StartinSanDiego likes this.

Last edited by MissJ; May 31, 2021 at 9:44 pm
MissJ is online now  
Old May 31, 2021, 9:40 pm
  #6  
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Good info.

Springhill Suites Jackson Hole was a category 5 hotel in 2019 at 35,000 points. It would have been a steal at $320/night all in. I booked it for 2020, but had to cancel. It is now category 6, with standard 50k points, or 60k Marriott points. I booked both of them and cancelled Springhill Suites as originally planned to burn Hilton points.

I did not realize those properties command this much $$ or points. Glad to be able to stay at Springhill Suites Yellowstone Island Park at 50,000 Marriott points. The early planning also helped.
RedSun is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:29 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: EUG
Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Posts: 8,189
Someone just posted about this (new?) Marriott property a few days ago:

The Cloudveil, Autograph Collection, Jackson, WY [Master Thread] - FlyerTalk Forums
Eujeanie is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:44 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 641
Stayed at the Hampton JH last fall, it was a craphole (jacksonhole=craphole) then too. Everything in Jackson Hole is wildly overpriced as noted by other posters. An exercise in frustration and futility if you want to drive from your hotel to anywhere downtown to pick up some food. Jackson Hole is a place I never want to return to, so many better choices in that general geographical area..
LoungeLizardHugo is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 5:08 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SEA
Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Posts: 671
I stayed there for one night last July. I recall that I decided to book via a third party because the rate was only $300 a night compared to $500+ on the Hilton website, and status barely matters at a hotel like that. I remember being surprised at how much worse this hotel was compared to a typical Hampton (tiny rooms, run down, poor cleaning in common areas, etc). It was still the best deal in town at $300. I recall that I had to design my trip to spend the least amount of time in Jackson since that was far and away the most expensive place to stay in that region. I guess they can get away with high prices and poor conditions given the state of high demand and poor availability in that area.
Bretmd is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:47 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 56,660
Starting around 2000, I used Hampton Inns quite a bit, as they offered good value for the money. By 2014-5, I slowly began booking away from Hamptons and booking with other competitors in most markets, because I saw a slow but consistent decline in most of the properties, and got the clear sense that the franchisees were not reinvesting in the maintenance and upkeep of their properties, and clearly, Hilton as the brand didn't care. These days, when traveling for business I'll only stay at a Hampton if it is fairly new. Otherwise, it's Fairfield Inn, Holiday Inn Express, or Comfort Suites.
RedSun and strickerj like this.
halls120 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 7,141
Originally Posted by azepine00
This is not limited to JH.
Generic hotels close to parks (JH, Springdale, Moab, anything near Yellowstone) have been going for $300-600 on weekends in high season since last summer.
Even before the pandemic, those kinds of properties were in a demand exceeding supply situation. I remember the Homewood in Moab in the summer 2018 seeming like a reasonable price at about $280/night all in for a king studio because the Super 8 down the road was $200/night. And then did a points stay for the Holiday Inn Express in Springdale/Zion that same trip with a similar cash price as Moab Homewood. The Marriott options in those towns were starting in the $350+ range then.

When I say its more budget friendly to go hike in the Bernese Oberland part of Switzerland than do some of the top tier US national parks if you dont camp, Im serious.
beachmouse is online now  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 9:52 am
  #12  
Moderator: Travel Buzz
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 3,087
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Even before the pandemic, those kinds of properties were in a demand exceeding supply situation. I remember the Homewood in Moab in the summer 2018 seeming like a reasonable price at about $280/night all in for a king studio because the Super 8 down the road was $200/night. And then did a points stay for the Holiday Inn Express in Springdale/Zion that same trip with a similar cash price as Moab Homewood. The Marriott options in those towns were starting in the $350+ range then.

When I say its more budget friendly to go hike in the Bernese Oberland part of Switzerland than do some of the top tier US national parks if you dont camp, Im serious.
We've been saying for years. Our most expensive trips have been in the USA, hands down! The demand exceeds the supply in the Yellowstone area, making it one of our priciest stays in ages.
strickerj and RedSun like this.
StartinSanDiego is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:25 pm
  #13  
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 4,412
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Someone just posted about this (new?) Marriott property a few days ago:

The Cloudveil, Autograph Collection, Jackson, WY [Master Thread] - FlyerTalk Forums
That hotel is Marriott category 7 that commanding 70,000 peak points. I think the Springhill Suite Jackson Hole may be better since it is all suite and it is one category lower at 60,000 peak.

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Stayed at the Hampton JH last fall, it was a craphole (jacksonhole=craphole) then too. Everything in Jackson Hole is wildly overpriced as noted by other posters. An exercise in frustration and futility if you want to drive from your hotel to anywhere downtown to pick up some food. Jackson Hole is a place I never want to return to, so many better choices in that general geographical area..
We went to the Teton Village to see the Four Season since my son puts 4 Season to be his #1 choice when he travels for work. We did not go in. But not impressive with the narrow front drive and the small front yard.

I think both Homewood and Springhill Suites are in better location in downtown area. Hampton is at the outskirt of the town. You definitely need a car to get around.

Here was the old Springhill booking at 35,000 points. Would have been a steal over Memorial weekend.


Last edited by RedSun; Jun 1, 2021 at 3:34 pm
RedSun is offline  
Old Jun 1, 2021, 4:39 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Posts: 207
We are planning a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton in August (4 nights in West Yellowstone, 3 nights in Jackson) and the hotel room rates in Jackson Hole have seriously boggled my mind. Was originally planning to book this Hampton inn for points + money but after reading your review, I'm glad I didn't.
Interpol is offline  
Old Jun 20, 2021, 8:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by RedSun
That hotel is Marriott category 7 that commanding 70,000 peak points. I think the Springhill Suite Jackson Hole may be better since it is all suite and it is one category lower at 60,000 peak.



We went to the Teton Village to see the Four Season since my son puts 4 Season to be his #1 choice when he travels for work. We did not go in. But not impressive with the narrow front drive and the small front yard.

I think both Homewood and Springhill Suites are in better location in downtown area. Hampton is at the outskirt of the town. You definitely need a car to get around.

Here was the old Springhill booking at 35,000 points. Would have been a steal over Memorial weekend.

I also had a 35k a night reservation in Sept 2020 we cancelled. I knew that rate was gone for good after they changed the category. I regret not making that trip now.. 160k for 3 nights we just re-booked for June 2022.
RedSun likes this.
voodoogirl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.