Changing from Points to Cash

Old May 11, 21, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Changing from Points to Cash

If I have award reservation on points, and I want to change to cash, can I do that? If so, do I need to call the Diamond line or can I just do it on the app and modify the reservation to cash and points will go back to my account within a few days?

Looking at doing it since the cash rate has gone down since I booked so paying seems like the better value. I'm about a month out so well before cxl terms.
Old May 11, 21, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Surely it would be easier to cancel the points reservation and rebook the reservation? The points from cancelled reward stays usually go back in your account instantly.
garykung and COEWR2587 like this.
Old May 11, 21, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
Surely it would be easier to cancel the points reservation and rebook the reservation? The points from cancelled reward stays usually go back in your account instantly.
Thank you!
Old May 11, 21, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by COEWR2587 View Post
Thank you!
Most welcome! Wondered maybe you'd made special arrangements with your existing reservation number and wanted to find a way to rebook without first cancelling.
Old May 11, 21, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
As another noted, points revert back to the account pretty quickly. I've cancelled many award stays in the past and I've not had any issues.

I would book the cash rate first and then cancel the award reservation. Harks back to my airline ticketing technique, where I want to make sure I have a reservation prior to cancelling the one I currently have.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: