FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Distrikt Hotel NYC Tapestry (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2039874-distrikt-hotel-nyc-tapestry.html)

jamesteroh May 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Distrikt Hotel NYC Tapestry

I can't find a thread on this hotel and tried the search. If there is one one then mod please merge this.

Anyone know why this hotel is so darn cheap? Rates are only $100 a night columbus day weekend when other hotels are better than double or triple that. I stayed next door at the Doubletree Times Square W and didn't even notice the hotel.

With rates this low it has me kind of concerned. I know the fairfield a couple doors over was turned into a transient hotel.

Schwann May 10, 2021 6:40 pm

Is there like a resort fee to bump it up? ​​​

jamesteroh May 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann (Post 33241832)
Is there like a resort fee to bump it up? ​​​

There is a $25 resort fee but a lot of NYC hotels are charging that now. Even with the resort fee it is a lot cheaper than other NYC properties. Reviews aren't bad on TA but the newest review was well before covid and haven't seen it reviewed on FT.

WasKnown May 11, 2021 12:22 am

How do you know the Fairfield was turned into a transient hotel? Is there a list anywhere?

ma_zeoli May 11, 2021 3:40 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 33241789)
I can't find a thread on this hotel and tried the search. If there is one one then mod please merge this.

Anyone know why this hotel is so darn cheap? Rates are only $100 a night columbus day weekend when other hotels are better than double or triple that. I stayed next door at the Doubletree Times Square W and didn't even notice the hotel.

With rates this low it has me kind of concerned. I know the fairfield a couple doors over was turned into a transient hotel.

From a native NYer :
Distrikt hotel is located right across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal so not the choicest of locations.

jamesteroh May 11, 2021 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ma_zeoli (Post 33242606)
From a native NYer :
Distrikt hotel is located right across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal so not the choicest of locations.

I stayed at the DT TS West a couple weekends ago and really didn't have any issues with the location. But I only went uptown after dark and wasn't out too late. Wish I would have paid attention to the Distrikt when I was there. The DT next door is a lot more a night and that is what has me concerned along with the lack of recent reviews on TA (DT TS West has plenty of recent reviews).

jamesteroh May 11, 2021 8:09 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33242405)
How do you know the Fairfield was turned into a transient hotel? Is there a list anywhere?

I think it is a safe assumption seeing the type of people that were in front of the building and inside when we walked past seeing they have a metal detector at the front door.

If it's not being used as a trasnient hotel, I sure wouldn't be staying as a paying guest at a hotel that requires you to go through a metal detector.

coleslaw May 11, 2021 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 33243051)

If it's not being used as a trasnient hotel, I sure wouldn't be staying as a paying guest at a hotel that requires you to go through a metal detector.

These days, in that area, I’d probably prefer a hotel that requires you to go through a metal detector and has security personnel on the door.

WillTravel Jun 1, 2021 3:21 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 33241789)

My question is exactly the same. I am considering an August trip, and the lowest rate is $99 + $25 resort fee. I went to the lobby bar there in September 2019, and the hotel looked fine then. It sounds like we (two women traveling) might want to be sure to take a taxi back at night.

WillTravel Jun 1, 2021 3:30 am

Is it even open?

I went to Google to check reviews, and saw several recent reviews saying the hotel is closed. Yet it can be booked via the Hilton.com site. I will phone soon to see what they say.

The _Banking_Scot Jun 1, 2021 3:50 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel (Post 33294395)
I went to Google to check reviews, and saw several recent reviews saying the hotel is closed. Yet it can be booked via the Hilton.com site. I will phone soon to see what they say.

Hi,
.just had a look on hilton.com . It looks like no rooms are available for june but plenty of availabiltyfrom july onwards.

Regards

Tbs

Kacee Jun 1, 2021 4:31 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 33294410)
just had a look on hilton.com . It looks like no rooms are available for june but plenty of availabiltyfrom july onwards.

Just a caution that some NYC hotels have been having difficulty meeting reopening schedule due to inability to staff up. I'm not sure I'd book a currently closed property based on a planned reopening, at least not anywhere close to the planned reopen date.

jamesteroh Jun 1, 2021 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel (Post 33294395)

Maybe that explains no recent reviews. I stayed next door at the DT and thought they were open. Wish I would have paid attention now.

I have a backup hotel at the Embassy Suites at least.

jamesteroh Jun 1, 2021 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33294448)
Just a caution that some NYC hotels have been having difficulty meeting reopening schedule due to inability to staff up. I'm not sure I'd book a currently closed property based on a planned reopening, at least not anywhere close to the planned reopen date.

This is columbus day weekend and I have a backup reservation at the ES but I better check to see if that is open.

who knows if they will be open by then if they are closed. I had a reservation this past weekend at the Palmer house and they didn't open up yet. Glad I had a backup at the Hampton across the street.

WillTravel Jun 1, 2021 2:57 pm

I tried phoning, and although the recorded message sounded promising, none of the menu options led anywhere. So I suspect it is closed. I will keep an eye on this. It's not essential I stay there, and it looks like prices are reasonable in general.