FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Hilton or Hyatt for 4 people in Asia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/2039590-hilton-hyatt-4-people-asia.html)

lsquare May 7, 2021 2:15 am

Hilton or Hyatt for 4 people in Asia?

My family and I are thinking of going on a trip to Asia in 2022. I'm currently a Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond. We haven't decided on a city yet, but it'll probably be either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. I think Marriott limits free breakfast from my Titanium status to 2 people. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with Hilton and Hyatt's rules. In terms of breakfast for 4 people and points accrual, am I better off with Hilton or Hyatt?

Jaimito Cartero May 7, 2021 2:49 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33232772)
My family and I are thinking of going on a trip to Asia in 2022. I'm currently a Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond. We haven't decided on a city yet, but it'll probably be either Singapore, Hong Kong, or Shanghai. I think Marriott limits free breakfast from my Titanium status to 2 people. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not familiar with Hilton and Hyatt's rules. In terms of breakfast for 4 people and points accrual, am I better off with Hilton or Hyatt?

If it’s in two rooms, I’ve had good luck with both programs. I think they only have to give it for one room, but top status helps a lot.

I’d probably read recent property reviews, as some hotels might be stingier.

lsquare May 7, 2021 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 33232799)
If it’s in two rooms, I’ve had good luck with both programs. I think they only have to give it for one room, but top status helps a lot.

I’d probably read recent property reviews, as some hotels might be stingier.

I forgot to mention it'll be two rooms. Me and gf plus parents.

craigthemif May 7, 2021 3:50 am

If you are spending Hyatt points, you can book a Guest of Honor and guarantee breakfast and other benefits for your parents' room.

Otherwise you need to do a bit of research to find the stingy hotels, but you could probably manage to get BF for both rooms when both are in your name. Marriott as well FWIW. None of the chains guarantee benefits beyond the member and one guest.

With both Hilton and Hyatt you can earn all of the points from two paid rooms in your name.

lsquare May 7, 2021 6:56 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 33232841)
If you are spending Hyatt points, you can book a Guest of Honor and guarantee breakfast and other benefits for your parents' room.

Otherwise you need to do a bit of research to find the stingy hotels, but you could probably manage to get BF for both rooms when both are in your name. Marriott as well FWIW. None of the chains guarantee benefits beyond the member and one guest.

With both Hilton and Hyatt you can earn all of the points from two paid rooms in your name.

Is this possible with Marriott as well?

I intend to pay cash and I intend to put my name on both rooms. Maybe I'll have to give them a call to ask. In terms of points accrual, which brand would I be better off with?

craigthemif May 7, 2021 7:23 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33233126)
Is this possible with Marriott as well?

Yes. unless you are #bonvoyed :D

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22685

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33233126)
In terms of points accrual, which brand would I be better off with?

I think Hyatt is most valuable, then Marriott, then Hilton. But you get the highest elite bonus in reverse order: Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt. So it depends...

lsquare May 7, 2021 7:33 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 33233165)
Yes. unless you are #bonvoyed :D

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-22685

I think Hyatt is most valuable, then Marriott, then Hilton. But you get the highest elite bonus in reverse order: Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt. So it depends...

Man, that's tough. For this scenario, I want to use either Hilton or Hyatt.

WasKnown May 7, 2021 8:58 am

For Shanghai, I highly recommend you consider Marriott. For Hong Kong, Marriott's options are a bit overpriced imo and Hilton really only has the Conrad (and the Garden Inn, guessing it's not a contender for your vacation). The Hyatt Regency in Sha Tin seems nice and I have a friend's family that just completed an enjoyable staycation there.

I have had success getting free breakfast for a second room in a Beijing JW Marriott but the manager had to personally allow it.

hp12c May 7, 2021 8:09 pm

Keep in mind that you can book the 2nd room (or both) via Hyatt Prive to get guaranteed breakfast for your parents, plus an upgrade, generally a $100 ancillary credit, and welcome amenity.

WasKnown May 7, 2021 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c (Post 33234965)
Keep in mind that you can book the 2nd room (or both) via Hyatt Prive to get guaranteed breakfast for your parents, plus an upgrade, generally a $100 ancillary credit, and welcome amenity.

You can also do this with Marriott Stars/Luminous and Hilton Impresario

lsquare May 7, 2021 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c (Post 33234965)

I'm so glad that you responded in this thread! I totally forgot about Prive. So book both standard rooms with Hyatt Prive and at a minimum, the second room will get the Prive benefits? Maybe as a bonus, they'll get my Globalist status? In this case, what good will my club access award be? I've never used them before and it's not necessary for me since I am a Globalist.

lsquare May 7, 2021 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33234988)
You can also do this with Marriott Stars/Luminous and Hilton Impresario

Never used those two programs before. I've actually used Hyatt Prive through one of the TAs here once in Hong Kong. What is Hilton Impresario like? Can I leverage the benefits of that program with my Diamond status for my parents staying in the second room?

Thanks!

nexusCFX May 7, 2021 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33235143)
Never used those two programs before. I've actually used Hyatt Prive through one of the TAs here once in Hong Kong. What is Hilton Impresario like? Can I leverage the benefits of that program with my Diamond status for my parents staying in the second room?

Thanks!

Impresario is more or less equivalent in benefits to the other partner programs, like Prive, Virtuoso, STARS. I'm not sure if this is standard across all properties but it often includes double points which is nice, and it has the $100 amenity, breakfast, etc, that you'd expect from all the other programs.

lsquare May 7, 2021 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 33235184)
Impresario is more or less equivalent in benefits to the other partner programs, like Prive, Virtuoso, STARS. I'm not sure if this is standard across all properties but it often includes double points which is nice, and it has the $100 amenity, breakfast, etc, that you'd expect from all the other programs.

It's too bad that Hilton isn't participating. Impresario seems to be for WA, Conrad, and LXR properties.

nexusCFX May 7, 2021 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33235190)
It's too bad that Hilton isn't participating. Impresario seems to be for WA, Conrad, and LXR properties.

Yes unfortunately Hilton doesn't have something akin to Luminous for the properties that aren't considered "luxury" level.