Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}

Old May 4, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Sisosig
This leaves me wondering. Isn't any employee in California supposed to get a decent pay these days? Like $15/hr in Santa Monica, as compared to $7.25 in many more backward states. So why still this 20% gratuity? Sounds like a petite too much for the services offered.
Sisosig, your profile does not say where you are from.

I can tell you, as a US citizen and a former waitress, that I never, ever concern myself with what the minimum wage is anywhere. Often times the minimum wage does not apply to servers, anyway, so the argument is irrelevant. Also, waiting on entitled A-holes carrying heavy trays and dishes and catering to their every need can be physical and emotional backbreaking work.

Often people will say, well they work an X hour shift so getting their pay PLUS tips, they have to be living a Royal's life. They are not. It's not a steady income, outside of the B/L/D rushes there is a lot of down time. And lots of jerks who don't tip.

I will say what I do object to, and it is in random places so not singling out California, but I object to a "service fee" where it is clearly stated that it does NOT go to your server. That upsets me. So I try to avoid those places.

But just to have someone bring me a meal, where I did not have to shop, cook, clean up, do the dishes...well worth 20% in my book.
Raylan likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sisosig
So why still this 20% gratuity?
I didn't really mind it, but did find it a little surprising. The servers were working hard, doing double duty serving in the restaurant and delivering room service orders to three floors of rooms. The problem wasn't their lack of effort, but the understaffing and lack of any system or organization. A clear management failure.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:18 pm

Thanks for the review.
Helped me decide not to stay here.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:38 am

Hopefully some of these issues are teething problems! There is a Hilton Honors FB group and the reviews there are glowing.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Hopefully some of these issues are teething problems! There is a Hilton Honors FB group and the reviews there are glowing.
I suspect there is an active media campaign in evidence, because the issues we encountered were very basic, and evidenced poor management and understaffing.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:14 am

I have also seen glowing reviews on Yelp and Tripadvisor, too - but I've got a very active spidey-sense on planted reviews and they just made me suspicious. But Kacee has been around here a long time and he just didn't complain about the service, he said his room was nothing special. Now...maybe...that is what you get when you use a FNC or use points, which I would have also been doing. Maybe the nicer rooms go to those paying full freight.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by agjil
Thanks for the review.
Helped me decide not to stay here.
We're going to stay despite Kacee poor stay, hopefully it's just a one-off DP. Someone will always have a poor experience at every hotel, right? I'll definitely report back after our stay.
Old May 5, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
We're going to stay despite Kacee poor stay, hopefully it's just a one-off DP. Someone will always have a poor experience at every hotel, right? I'll definitely report back after our stay.
Yes I agree, someone will always have a poor experience while someone else will not.
I will be eagerly waiting for your report!
Kacee likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I certainly hope you have a better one. I suspect a better room assignment would help quite a bit. It certainly colors my views on everything else when the upgrade from a bad room to a decent one is available but denied. IMO, one of the principal reasons to have status is so you don't get stuck with the worst room on the property when redeeming. And that's what happened here. Acknowledging that my Hilton status comes from credit card, which is part of the reason I didn't push harder at check-in.
Troopers and DC9 like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I certainly hope you have a better one. I suspect a better room assignment would help quite a bit. It certainly colors my views on everything else when the upgrade from a bad room to a decent one is available but denied. IMO, one of the principal reasons to have status is so you don't get stuck with the worst room on the property when redeeming. And that's what happened here. Acknowledging that my Hilton status comes from credit card, which is part of the reason I didn't push harder at check-in.
Some luxury properties are very generous both with their upgrades and demeanor. Our last stay before Covid was at the Bentley in Miami - tremendous upgrade to a suite (was offered OV if we wanted to wait, it was 10 am so took the GV suite which we ended up loving). And I recall to this day how nice the girl was who checked us in and who we saw every day - greeted us, asked us how everything was, she could not have been more genuinely nice. And we are also Aspire Diamonds - it should not make any difference.

The other thing is that we are not the cool hipster target demographic of some of these places - we are 70s year old ordinary people and it didn't make a bit of difference at the Bentley. I bet it would matter a lot at the Oceana. I hope all here who are considering it DO have a wonderful stay, but I'm glad I decided against it.
YariGuy and Kacee like this.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Some luxury properties are very generous both with their upgrades and demeanor. Our last stay before Covid was at the Bentley in Miami - tremendous upgrade to a suite (was offered OV if we wanted to wait, it was 10 am so took the GV suite which we ended up loving). And I recall to this day how nice the girl was who checked us in and who we saw every day - greeted us, asked us how everything was, she could not have been more genuinely nice. And we are also Aspire Diamonds - it should not make any difference.

The other thing is that we are not the cool hipster target demographic of some of these places - we are 70s year old ordinary people and it didn't make a bit of difference at the Bentley. I bet it would matter a lot at the Oceana. I hope all here who are considering it DO have a wonderful stay, but I'm glad I decided against it.
I'm looking forward to our stay, hoping for the best but bracing for an experience similar to Kacee's. My GF is borderline high maintenance with strong opinions...and she previously worked in the upper management at several SF hotels, so I'll definitely know within the first day if we will be returning, lol. I haven't and won't tell her about Kacee's experience so she'll have expectations.

I am surprised about the amount of hesitation based on one FT single night review. Perhaps, I'm nave but I'm leaning on the widely held opinion that this place is 5 stars.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:48 pm

I'm looking forward to our stay, hoping for the best but bracing for an experience similar to Kacee's. My GF is borderline high maintenance with strong opinions...and she previously worked in the upper management at several SF hotels, so I'll definitely know within the first day if we will be returning, lol. I haven't and won't tell her about Kacee's experience so she'll have expectations.

I am surprised about the amount of hesitation based on one FT single night review. Perhaps, I'm nave but I'm leaning on the widely held opinion that this place is 5 stars.
No, I had made up my mind before reading Kacee's review. My biggest objection was location. I'm a toes in the sand person and while I'm sure the views are great (if you get at OV) it is a hike down to the sand. We used to live nearby and being atop the California Incline is not exactly "on the beach".

The Residence Inn in Marina del Rey is also not "on the beach" but it is a shorter, level walk, plus you have the Marina views of the yachts, and a guaranteed balcony at one third the amount of points (35K), although admittedly Marriott vs. Hilton points. Also all base rooms at RI's are quite spacious, you don't know what you're going to get at the Oceana. In terms of being a Hilton Diamond member using points we would not have paid the resort fee (RI does not have one), and both would have given us breakfast. Being seniors, and living in Oregon with all its homeless issues, we just feel more comfortable being in MdelR than SM. Just our choice.

I don't care about 5 star service because we are very low maintenance, check us in and leave us alone types.

Can't wait to read the reviews from all of you, of course there is always next time!
Old May 5, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'll definitely report back after our stay.
Please do! And don't forget the pictures.
DC9 likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
My experience was very similar to Kacees. I spoke with the GM and he simply apologized and said he would look out for our stay next time. The lack of Diamond recognition, being put in the dungeon on the first floor, the chaotic breakfast that I walked out on, and the disorganized staffing. Things need to change there.
Kacee and DC9 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kpott
My experience was very similar to Kacees. I spoke with the GM and he simply apologized and said he would look out for our stay next time. The lack of Diamond recognition, being put in the dungeon on the first floor, the chaotic breakfast that I walked out on, and the disorganized staffing. Things need to change there.
Please share a review on TripAdvisor so that its not one big pep rally for this property there, and management becomes cognizant of negative feedback regarding elite treatment.
Eujeanie likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.