Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

If parking rises in price from booking to staying

Old Apr 12, 21, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

When I made my reservation valet parking was $6, and my confirmation shows that. It is now $15. What should I be charged?

I called the hotel and was told I could have that "discussion" when I check in...no thanks, I want to know that Hilton policy is - either that you are grandfathered in with your original booking, or you are not.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 4:51 pm

Did you reserve valet parking as part of your booking package? There is your answer.
Old Apr 12, 21, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Did you reserve valet parking as part of your booking package? There is your answer.
OP's confirmation says parking $6 and i would expect to pay no more than that.
Old Apr 12, 21, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
OP's confirmation says parking $6 and i would expect to pay no more than that.
Correct AZpine, it was not a "package", your confirmation lists additional charges. Valet parking being one. At $6.

And NO, in case anyone was wondering, $9 is not the end of the world, but it's the principle.
Old Apr 12, 21, 5:56 pm

I get what you're saying, but I'm assuming that this is probably covered by some "subject to change" clause relevant to ancillary products and services outside of the room rate. I'll leave this one to the lawyers, and that being said if the property is smart they'll give the lower rate on principle, as you note.

One complexity of valet parking is that in some cases it is operated by a subcontractor.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

That doesn't change that if you book under a certain set of confirmed expectations, that they can change it on you. What if room prices rise dramatically after you book (and they often do) - you are confirmed at the rate you booked, why is it not the same with parking?
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I want to know that Hilton policy is - either that you are grandfathered in with your original booking, or you are not.
If by Hilton you mean the chain, I don't think there's an official policy. At least, there's not one listed on the website or in the Terms and Conditions. (I just looked.)

Most hotel groups like Hilton tend to avoid micro-managing their hotels. They leave these decisions up to each individual hotel. Some hotels will do the right thing and only charge the price that was showing when the reservation was made. And even if their parking is provided through a third-party, many hotels will absorb the cost difference if the price has increased.

Other hotels will be jerks and charge the higher rate. The fact that you called the hotel and they wouldn't immediately answer your question leads me to believe your hotel will be jerky about their pricing.
hhdl and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:58 pm

Have had that happen a few times...the property has always agreed quickly to honor the lower price.
Old Apr 12, 21, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The advice you got was solid. Discuss this when you check-in. It is easily resolved.

If this were a matter of a huge amount of money which would cause you to cancel if not resolved in advance, it would be a different story. Here, a good chance it is all taken care of. If not, you can then escalate after the fact, including via partial chargeback if that is warranted.

To make things simple, print out the confirmation showing the price and have it with you. For what it is worth, this is best dealt with during the day when there is a supervisor or manager available if the FD clerk can't deal with it on the spot.
Old Apr 12, 21, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to #7 that there is no set policy, that was what I was wondering. Since $9 is not a dealbreaker, I will see what they say at check in.
Old Apr 13, 21, 10:09 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
I would think it depends on if the parking charge is on the confirmation, of just the hotel website, and also if the parking facility is owned by the hotel, or if it is independent.
Old Apr 13, 21, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by johnndor View Post
I would think it depends on if the parking charge is on the confirmation, of just the hotel website, and also if the parking facility is owned by the hotel, or if it is independent.
If the property advertises parking at $6 and OP books on that basis, that ought to be good enough.

Who owns the parking lot is irrelevant. It is th property which chose to advertise at $6 when it could have disclaimed that the amount was an estimate or subject to change.
strickerj and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:06 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I personally think it is great if the hotel accommodates the charge, but IMO those types of fees are subject to change. What if you saw that the buffet breakfast was $12 and when you showed up it was $15. Do you expect to pay the lower price? I would think not.

Again, I think it is in the hotel's best interest to adjust the charge, but unless it is a "parking included" room rate I think that the room rate is the only thing that is guaranteed.
Old Apr 13, 21, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

I see your point, however they don't usually post menu prices on your reservation confirmation. This hotel chose to state, under unsolicited "Additional Information", that they were Smoke Free and that valet parking was $6 USD daily. And raising the price,say, from $6 to $8 would be reasonable and understandable, but to more than double it to $15 was very odd.
Grog and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 13, 21, 9:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
I see your point, however they don't usually post menu prices on your reservation confirmation. This hotel chose to state, under unsolicited "Additional Information", that they were Smoke Free and that valet parking was $6 USD daily. And raising the price,say, from $6 to $8 would be reasonable and understandable, but to more than double it to $15 was very odd.
Good point and I agree if it is included in the confirmation email then they did commit to that rate. I guess I have never noticed it in a confirmation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: