Hilton beats Marriott?

Old Apr 12, 21, 12:03 am
E33
Original Poster

Hilton beats Marriott?

Trying to understand why everyone is so down on Hiltonís points program.. I have switched to Marriott for a while, while they currently have their double points running, and it seems Hilton STILL gives way more points than Marriott..

Lets look at this..
Say my average night costs about $100.. (actually less)

Hilton - 1,000 base + 1,000 for 100% bonus + 1,000 extra per night (10 nights 10k bonus)

So thatís an average of 3k points per night with no special bonus going on.. Just standard..

Marriott - 1,000 base + assume 500 for platinum
1,500 points per night..

Half the points..

Often I book over a week at a time and get a heavily discounted rate..
I just had a nice Marriott in Vegas with a pool on the roof for $65 a night for over a week..

With even cheaper nightly rates it gets even worse for Marriott..

$65 a night
Hilton = 2,300 points per night
Marriott = 975 points per night
only 42% as many points

Now I realize Marriott points are worth more, I think about 50%-75% more, not quite 100% more like some like to claim..

Even if they were worth an entire 100% more, at anything less than $100 per night stays, Hilton still returns more value in points for the same stay cost..

I get highly discounted rates and stay quite long stays so my rooms are almost always under $100 a night..
I just had Springhill suites Vegas convention center for 8 nights at $65 per night while the Marriott app is quoting $126 a night for weekdays and a whopping $201 a night for Saturday night, lol..
Somehow I get it for a straight rate of $65 a night..
Pretty nice place, but my fellow clientele wasnít that great to be honest.. Many pretty sketchy types..

So in a nutshell, especially under $100 a night in the $60-$90 a night range, I think Hilton wins..
Really mainly because of the free 1,000 points per night (10,000 every 10 nights)..
Even got an extra 30,000 at 60 nights.. Marriott doesnít have any of that..
Even double Marriott points right now is kinda meh..
Old Apr 12, 21, 12:35 am

Programs: SK EBg/baEC G/MR P/A3 *G/CC G/HH D/IHG Spire
Originally Posted by E33 View Post
Trying to understand why everyone is so down on Hiltonís points program.. I have switched to Marriott for a while, while they currently have their double points running, and it seems Hilton STILL gives way more points than Marriott..

Lets look at this..

Hilton - 1,000 base + 1,000 for 100% bonus + 1,000 extra per night (10 nights 10k bonus)

So thatís an average of 3k points per night with no special bonus going on.. Just standard..

1,500 points per night..

Half the points..

Often I book over a week at a time and get a heavily discounted rate..
I just had a nice Marriott in Vegas with a pool on the roof for $65 a night for over a week..

With even cheaper nightly rates it gets even worse for Marriott..

$65 a night
Hilton = 2,300 points per night
Marriott = 975 points per night
only 42% as many points

Now I realize Marriott points are worth more, I think about 50%-75% more, not quite 100% more like some like to claim..

Even if they were worth an entire 100% more, at anything less than $100 per night stays, Hilton still returns more value in points for the same stay cost..

I get highly discounted rates and stay quite long stays so my rooms are almost always under $100 a night..
I just had Springhill suites Vegas convention center for 8 nights at $65 per night while the Marriott app is quoting $126 a night for weekdays and a whopping $201 a night for Saturday night, lol..
Somehow I get it for a straight rate of $65 a night..
Pretty nice place, but my fellow clientele wasnít that great to be honest.. Many pretty sketchy types..

So in a nutshell, especially under $100 a night in the $60-$90 a night range, I think Hilton wins..
Really mainly because of the free 1,000 points per night (10,000 every 10 nights)..
Even got an extra 30,000 at 60 nights.. Marriott doesnít have any of that..
Even double Marriott points right now is kinda meh..

Well....

Sure Marriott has its down falls and so does Hilton. I try to keep Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat.

Don't forget st 75nights your do get a choice of awards like a free night at 40k pts max so that does have some value.

​​​​​​Hilton redemptions tend to be much higher at the locations I frequent so perhaps I have not seen the value as much there...

Interesting to see what promotions come later this year... Summer travel is likely still going to be iffy at best...
Old Apr 12, 21, 12:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by E33 View Post
Lets look at this..

1,500 points per night..

Half the points..
​​​​​well, for Marriott the calculation for $100 would be:
Base: 1000
Arrival gift: 1000 ( varies by brand)
Titanium: 750
Promo: 1000
Total of upto: 3750
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 21, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A Hilton point is worth just a little over 50% what a Marriott point is worth (approximately .4 cpp vs. .7 cpp), so earn is more or less equivalent using your figures.
Old Apr 12, 21, 7:38 am

I've written long, belabored posts containing a lot of math on this elsewhere, so I'm not going to rehash them, but based on my experience on earning / redemption across hundreds of nights, generally:
  • I tend to pretty much earn Hilton points at the rate of 2x Marriott points. Find out what that ratio is for you and then compare the redemption rates accordingly (e.g. 20k Hilton points would be parity to 10k MR points at a comparable property).
  • At the bottom end of the price range, Hilton often wins out - e.g. you'll see 24k points for a Hampton and 17.5K points for a comparable Fairfield.
  • In the middle, it's generally a wash - e.g. 35k for a Westin or Marriott versus 50k for a Hilton
  • At the high end, the absolute values often converge and Hilton can become a much better value - e.g. 95k for a WA and 95k for an RC.
Of course, this is for 1) standard rooms, 2) that we assume to be available. The above are generally true on average - but of course externalities, property-level inventory decisions (e.g. hotels playing games with "premium rooms"), etc. can make a difference.

The best advice I can give is, if your travel volumes allow it, to have points and status with both programs and then shop around each time you wish to redeem. And, especially these days (with low rates in many places), you have to play the long game and pay cash when no redemptions make sense.
Old Apr 12, 21, 8:45 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Return is pretty close between the two (Hilton points earned twice as fast but worth half as much), but I prefer the predictably of Marriott's award chart vs. Hilton's whatever-we-say-it-is award pricing. Of course, the best of both worlds is high value and predicable redemptions - that's why Hyatt is my preferred chain (and Marriott is a backup for Hyatt's limited footprint).
Old Apr 12, 21, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
In addition to the astute points folks above have stated - the only thing to add is that, with a Hilton, you actually have to deal with the misery of STAYING at a Hilton.

Their bed sheets are much cheaper than Marriottís. Their housekeeping standards are lower - and it shows.

They donít even stock liquid body wash as a standard amenity! And if you can find a hotel that doesnít want to give you extra shampoo, it is a tiny bottle that wonít even squeeze out that horribly cheap, chemical, made in China ďgel.Ē

And donít get me started on the F&B offerings (the complimentary ones) at Hilton usually feeling as cheap in terms of display and quality, as a middle school cafeteria.

No wonder they have to give out so many points to make it seem like people are getting value, even though 15K Hilton points might cover a $45 hotel room for the night LOL.
Old Apr 12, 21, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Right, Hilton's weakness is at the high end, which is where I tend to stay. That's why I have three unused AMEX weekend night awards. With Marriott there is no such shortage of high end options.
Old Apr 12, 21, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
In addition to the astute points folks above have stated - the only thing to add is that, with a Hilton, you actually have to deal with the misery of STAYING at a Hilton.
Oh come on, talking as if there is any parity across or within brands in a given chain's portfolio is just silly, period. There are Hamptons that are nicer than some Marriotts, and Doubletrees that are nicer than some RCs. Shower gels? Hilton probably has 10+ different amenity brands...

Now if you had started talking about your 100% Presidential Suite upgrade rate with Marriott and how cold the air conditioning is at RCs, then your true identity would definitely have been revealed. (A joke for those who get it)
Old Apr 12, 21, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Return is pretty close between the two (Hilton points earned twice as fast but worth half as much), but I prefer the predictably of Marriott's award chart vs. Hilton's whatever-we-say-it-is award pricing. Of course, the best of both worlds is high value and predicable redemptions - that's why Hyatt is my preferred chain (and Marriott is a backup for Hyatt's limited footprint).
But would Hyatt still beat Hilton given Hyatt's redemptions are moving to peak/off peak like Marriott soon? Also what about those people who can't get a Hyatt credit card to pay for stays at the enhanced earning rate? If you also add that Amex will not allow MR points to be transferred to Hyatt here in the UK then I think Hilton is the better deal. Perhaps it's a horses for courses thing.
Old Apr 12, 21, 2:44 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Lizie View Post
But would Hyatt still beat Hilton given Hyatt's redemptions are moving to peak/off peak like Marriott soon? Also what about those people who can't get a Hyatt credit card to pay for stays at the enhanced earning rate? If you also add that Amex will not allow MR points to be transferred to Hyatt here in the UK then I think Hilton is the better deal. Perhaps it's a horses for courses thing.
For me it would, since I tend to book off-peak times anyway to save money. (We don't have children so school schedules aren't a consideration.) I also don't have a Hyatt credit card, but here in the U.S., you can transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards to Hyatt (and also Marriott and IHG), so that's what I do. AmEx points transfer to Choice Hotels, Hilton, and Marriott, none of which are great values but at least it's a 1:2 ratio to Hilton, which makes up for their lower value.
Old Apr 12, 21, 4:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You’re going to earn so many points in the course of your business travel that at some point I’d treat it as a non-financial decision. Stay wherever you like better. The implied rebate isn’t that much different between chains to rearrange your life around it, and you’ll quickly earn top-tier in both. You might prefer one to the other as various quarterly promotions come and go.

Most of us nitpick the differences between various chain programs because we barely make 50-60 nights annually, and top-tier in one is way better than middle tier in two. If I stayed hundreds of nights annually, I’d be more of a free agent, especially if it was almost always in low category properties with nothing to upgrade me to anyway.

Thanks for your posts. Appreciate the thread.
Catskilltraveller likes this.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Apr 12, 21 at 4:13 pm
Old Apr 12, 21, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Most of my points are from credit card spend,not hotel stay.

It depends on the card, but 2x Marriot points is better than 3x HH points.
Old Apr 12, 21, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by arlflyer View Post
Oh come on, talking as if there is any parity across or within brands in a given chain's portfolio is just silly, period. There are Hamptons that are nicer than some Marriotts, and Doubletrees that are nicer than some RCs. Shower gels? Hilton probably has 10+ different amenity brands...

Now if you had started talking about your 100% Presidential Suite upgrade rate with Marriott and how cold the air conditioning is at RCs, then your true identity would definitely have been revealed. (A joke for those who get it)
I wasnít claiming there are parity across different luxury levels of brand. I was saying, generally speaking, Marriottís limited service is better than Hiltonís. And on. Of course there are exceptions like you said.

And Iím not bhrubin but that did make me chuckle.
Old Apr 12, 21, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.53MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by btonkid12345 View Post
They don’t even stock liquid body wash as a standard amenity! And if you can find a hotel that doesn’t want to give you extra shampoo, it is a tiny bottle that won’t even squeeze out that horribly cheap, chemical, made in China “gel.”
Thanks for the laugh.

Of course you know that Marriott is in the process (if not already complete) of eliminating the little plastic bottles.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...K3xNKVBi8-Kg_5

Cheers,
David

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 13, 21 at 11:38 am Reason: remove unnecessary snark

Search this Thread
Search Engine: