Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Checking out and Back In Points and Promos Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

So I had a 4 Night stay booked. The hotel split it into 2 different bookings, but I was able to keep my rate.

They split it because the Diamond upgraded room (“King Bed Larger Room”) was only available for 3 of the 4 Nights.

So on the morning following the 3rd Night I went to the Front Desk to Re-Check in. Luckily the room was now available for the 4th night due to a cancellation so I didn’t have to move.

But what I am wondering is -

A) Does this count as a Separate “Stay”? It’s a Doubletree so if it was a Separate Stay I’d get extra points for the MyWay Benefit.

B) How does this impact the current promo? (The Promo where each stay you earn 2k points and 5k extra after 5 nights). Meaning if the answer to Question A is Yes, would I also receive an additional 2k points through the Promo offer?

For Nights 1-3 I have a Separate Confirmation Number from Night 4 if that makes a difference. I also requested they be put on Separate folios as well, which they had no issue with as they have separate confirmation numbers.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton Gold, Spirit Gold
From the t&c, it will be counted as a single stay
A "stay" is defined as the total number of consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I know that Hilton is the only chain left that does "stays", but this is Hotel Points 101 @Matt4200 - you should know better. Consecutive nights at same hotel = 1 stay.
:D! and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Surprised no one has come along stating "I got two stays out of a similar situation!" yet. If so, a glitch in their favor.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Interesting point here. I was somewhere where we had a three night stay and decided to book another night. Front desk quoted us a rate higher than the website so we just went back to the room and booked another night. Went down checked out, checked back in and told them we did not need housekeeping. It showed up as two line items in activity but all the points were on the second one night stay. I am pretty sure it counted as 1 stay but we really don't do the stay thing we tend to do long stays and don't pay attention to our number of stays. It was last year so double points promotion and prior to the 2k per stay promo.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the info!

I rarely stay with Hilton so I’m not too knowledgeable about policies. The points for the first 3 Nights just posted along with the applicable MyWay and Q2 Bonus, but we have yet to check out from the 4th Night.

I’m not pushing for the extra points in any way I was just generally curious. If some glitch does happen and I get the extra points I’ll definitely post back, if they don’t that’s fine.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:43 pm

One thing to keep watch for is getting the right amount of points when they merge the reservations into one stay. Apparently the system can just handle one type of rate. If you have a 2X points for one part and not the other, you will get 2X for either both parts or zero parts. I know it’s a small quirk, but I almost lost a good chunk of points one time when I had to add a night.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I know that Hilton is the only chain left that does "stays", but this is Hotel Points 101 @Matt4200 - you should know better. Consecutive nights at same hotel = 1 stay.
Actually, every time I do this at IHG (which I only do because of using a free night for part, and then paid stay or points for the rest), they give me bonus points for both check ins, which does surprise me. They list it as two reservations and stays on my account. I am not sure if that has changed. A couple recent yucky experience have caused me to use IHG less, but last time this was true, so I did not know that about Hilton. I think it's a fair question.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
While Hilton IT generally seems terrible, one thing it seems to do well is catch consecutive stays at the same property even when checking out and checking back in again and even when changing rooms. and deny stay credit and any bonuses for each booking. Although I often stay on separately booked consecutive stays I have never been able to get stay credit for each booking and when a bonus is based upon each stay it catches and denies that also. Hence the hotel hopping that is often done with Hilton (and the listing and discussion of adjacent hotels in this forum) to catch those stay credits (for those who qualify based on stays) and bonuses.

I think I've only been the beneficiary of a mistaken consecutive stay credit once in the last 15 years or so.
craigthemif likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.